Drivers License renewal

Confuscious

18 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

But will I need to do the whole DL tests again if my DL is expired?

Go  a couple of days after the expiry date (can be upto a year ) ..you will have to do the vision and reaction tests, maybe watch a video..but no driving tests   ( theory or practical )

Like everything in Thailand, your experience will vary depending on where you do the renewal.

I renewed in october at Udon Thani (2 year to 5 year).  I provided copy of passport, visa, entry stamp, health certificate and copy of yellow book pages to the kind lady.  Was directed to the testing station where I waited my turn to do the depth perception, reaction time and color tests.  Then sent to the payment counter.  Then directed to the photo desk where I was photographed and given 2 new license cards.  In and out in 30 minutes or so.

Some guys have much more difficult time, some may have easier.  But you do want to wait until few days after current license expires.  If you go before expiration the expiration of new licenses will be same as the old.  If after expiration the new license will expire 5 years from your next birthday.

YMMV

You can renew up to one year after expiry without added effort.

One to three years: theory test to be (re)done.

More than three years: all from scratch.

There also seems to be a grace period for driving with the expired DL (like 30 days). But I have no proof for that.

13 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You can renew up to one year after expiry without added effort.

One to three years: theory test to be (re)done.

More than three years: all from scratch.

There also seems to be a grace period for driving with the expired DL (like 30 days). But I have no proof for that.

I wouldn't want to get into an accident while driving on an expired license since your insurance company can deny the claim (due to the fact that your license is expired) not to mention that the police can (and probably will) use that against you and bring down their golden hammer.  You might end up in a whirlwind of trouble where everything is your fault and you are the responsible party who might have to cover everything out of your own pocket (or go to jail).  Going a day or two is probably okay but I would never chance driving much more than that on an expired license here (or anywhere else really).

1 hour ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

My 5 year licence is up next year can anyone tell me what visa I need to renew it. Thanks.

Any visa, if tourist visa you can get 2 years, if long stay visa you can get 5 years.

Thai logic that you have to wait for the licence to expire before you can renew

Archived