Returning several months later

Dear TV brains trust much greater than I,

I married my Thai wife last December, and subsequently entered the kingdom from Savannakhet on a single entry O based on marriage for 90 days.

My question is (and I've not been able to find anything similar here in the forum): I now work permanently (and perhaps on an ongoing basis) in the Chinese capital and have done for six months.

I have no real need practically speaking to visit other than a short holiday now.

Once having entered the kingdom on an O based on marriage (per above) early January this year, can I enter a little further down the track on a 30 Visa exemption next January for a holiday with my wife? (I'm Australian)

Thank you and regards

Edited by GA19
Grammar

You should have no issues whatever using a visa exemption even with your previous O visa.

Should you desire a more extended stay (when the air in Beijing gets too thick to see through) then you could also extend one of those exemptions for a further 60 days "to visit your wife".

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You will not be a tourist, but I cannot imagine Immigration denying you a 30-day visa exempt entry after six months away (whatever some members might think of a tourist entry being used for purposes other than tourism).

Visiting family here can be as a tourist for a short stay.

It makes no sense for a person staying 30 or 60 days to apply for a non-o visa to visit their family.

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Visiting family here can be as a tourist for a short stay.

It makes no sense for a person staying 30 or 60 days to apply for a non-o visa to visit their family.

I agree with you. However, there are members who will claim that coming for a short visit to look for work, or visit friends/family or coming back for a short time to pack up after being on a long term non immigrant entry is not tourism. There is no definition of what "tourism" consists of in Thai immigration law. We do know that some immigration officials (notably a case at Krabi airport) can take extreme positions on this.

You should have a Non O Visa because you’re visiting your wife, not visiting for tourism. However, there is no reason why an IO would deny entry under VE if you’re making infrequent short visits.

If your working in China you might be able to get a Multi Entry Non O Visa. That would give you unlimited entries for 1 year.

If you’re only visiting once/twice a year I don’t see a problem using VE.