US truck driver Pim becomes an Internet sensation

webfact

46 minutes ago, GarryP said:

And complaining that they do not have the same opportunities in Thailand, as if any of them would like to be a truck driver on Thai wages. 

Why not ?

Are you a thai trucker ?

Do you know how much they earn if , for example, they go to Laos or other neighboring countries ?

I know some  Thai truckers who earn very well their lives;

in any case much more than all employees of 7/11 or Lotassss or Makro or even many Thai officials.
and I know a number of them who have a very good English because they have been working in the Middle East countries during many years.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 9:28 AM, JaiLai said:

Yeah but why does she need to broadcast it, there's plenty people in every country that come from humble beginings that go on to great success without having to let the world know.

45,000 followers......why?

45.000 aspiring drivers for 1 M bath for month ????

10 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Why not ?

Are you a thai trucker ?

Do you know how much they earn if , for example, they go to Laos or other neighboring countries ?

I know some  Thai truckers who earn very well their lives;

in any case much more than all employees of 7/11 or Lotassss or Makro or even many Thai officials.
and I know a number of them who have a very good English because they have been working in the Middle East countries during many years.

Why did they go to work overseas? Was it to earn more money? Perhaps because they weren't earning much money in Thailand? Isn't that the usual reason to go work overseas in such type of jobs. 

Would you work as a truck driver in Thailand for 25k to 35k a month? By Thai standards that is indeed a good wage but would you work for that in Thailand? It is a considerable difference to what you earned in Europe and Pim is earning in the US. 

I think you missed my point. Many posters complain about not having the same chances in Thailand as Pim has had in the US. But even if they were given the same opportunities, they would not take them up because of the massive difference in wages/earnings. Would anyone hire them in Thailand for the same wages they were earning in Europe or the US? No. Would they be willing to work for Thai wages for those jobs they were doing in the west? No. And yet they complain and complain.

Why can't they just accept that this young lady is working hard and making a living. What is wrong with that? What is there to complain about? It is obvious that the earnings figure is wrong. Can't they just get over it?

Apologies for the rant. Happy biking Assurancetourix.     

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Or television or radar or the microwave oven or the double-hulled super tanker and hundreds of other ridiculous things that the Thai bashers frequently touts as proof that Thai people are incapable of anything just because they haven't invented anything.

Thanks for the affirmation.

You have forget Thai have invented TM30

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Why does that not surprise me...

But the difference is they're real friends, not plastic friends many people 'claim' to have in their 'social media' network...

I could go to either of my friends house at 0300 covered in blood claiming i killed someone and ask for help and receive it without any questions ( note - i've not needed to do this.........yet )

ps - i actually have 3 friends, one i'd forgotten about coz i don't see home much.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Monomial said:

I'm not sure where these ridiculous numbers came from in the English language press. My wife actually follows this girl, and says she makes around $8000 USD per month. But it is hard work and lots of overtime.

My wife, who is 4 ft. nothing, now says she wants to move to the US and drive an 18 wheel truck.  I asked her if she knew how to double clutch. Her response? "What's a clutch?"  She's only ever driven an automatic. It's almost worth packing up the family and going just for the entertainment value...

She may have a little problem disengaging the clutch,it takes about 60kgs of force to operate a manual clutch without air assist,but in this day and age there's lots of auto shifters without a clutch pedal at all even in the all American trucks,European trucks had the auto shifters without a clutch for many years now.

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Why did they go to work overseas? Was it to earn more money? Perhaps because they weren't earning much money in Thailand? Isn't that the usual reason to go work overseas in such type of jobs. 

It was for that reason ; earn more than in Thailand ;

but life is more expensive in these countries ;

don't know if they can send much money to their families...

I first did this job because I liked to drive these big trucks ; I loved my job; I was paid to go and sometimes have enough time to visit so beautiful towns in Italy ( so many in Italy  and so beautiful ) , Spain , England ( Hull or Bath for example )..

It was never first for the salary but always discover countries I didn't knew...

In France where I was living and working the salaries for this job was good and sometimes very good ;

now it's finish 

with Europe and the removal of frontiers; Many truckers working in French companies are Polish or come from countries where the standard of living is much lower and therefore accept high wages at home but no French would accept;
to work 70 to 80 hours a week, to have almost no Sunday at home for 1500 euros per month? No thanks .

Europe has destroyed a lot of things starting with the leveling down of wages in many trades.

and to return to Thailand, if this trade was authorized to the farang, I remain convinced that quite a few former roadmen would easily remit the "piece of wood" even with a salary of 30,000 baht per month;
it's 1,000 US dollars; which is more than enough to live here, especially since we sleep in the truck, which I have done for 40 years.
Besides, I never drink alcohol and I do not smoke, consequent expenses that I do not have.

In France I was also Road Safety Monitor; I taught all types of people, other drivers like me but also bosses of road companies how to behave on the road;
Think of other users before thinking about yourself.

when I drove my 38 tons, I respected the Highway Code; never PV in 40 years! never a point less on my driving license.
No boss has ever made me think about it because when we respect the law, the company earns more money at the end of the year;
no accidents, no suspension of driving license so a truck that rolls and earns money ...

I made some reflections on the subject of the thread because the salary gives is not realistic, for the rest, it was my job and I did not forget anything.
At 71, I know that I can ride a Thai heavyweight truck like I did 30 or 40 years ago in Europe with trucks much less powerful than now and with much less active and passive safety. .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DLock said:

I do enjoy watching the Thai Visa Old Crusty brigade get triggered by a young, attractive girl making more money in a month than they can hold in a bank account to maintain their O-Visa.

She is far more successful that you. Get over it.

Good one. Too bad she's a delivery truck driver earning 4k a month or so, according to the notes that were translated in this thread.

I applaud her for having a real job though. Not so much for the millenial youtube side job. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Good one. Too bad she's a delivery truck driver earning 4k a month or so, according to the notes that were translated in this thread.

I applaud her for having a real job though. Not so much for the millenial youtube side job. 

I never paid much attention to the amount - but $4k is still decent.

It was a fluff piece that probably didn't deserve the attention it got, but the amount of serious discussion on how much she can earn, "side job", she can't push the clutch...was highly entertaining.

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2019 at 11:27 AM, GarryP said:

Would anyone hire them in Thailand for the same wages they were earning in Europe or the US? No. Would they be willing to work for Thai wages for those jobs they were doing in the west? No. And yet they complain and complain.

I’d be happy to pay a competent westerner US prices to fix my whatever when I need it. Why? Because it takes multiple trips and attempts for a Thai to half ass the job and it’s still not done correctly. You get what you pay for here and I’m more than willing to pay western rates when I need help.

I would not rather deal with Thais unless it’s a mindless task like washing my car or massaging my feet. If it’s important, I’m happy to pay a premium to a westerner.