Mini Blender for making Tahini and Hummus

Speedo1968

Can anyone recommend a good mini blender suitable for making small amounts of tahini and hummus ?

I understand that for tahini, as I am not using a food processor, that a high speed blender should be used.

For hummus I use Fresh Besan Gram Flour for the chickpea, excellent quality, easy to use and store.  ( Also use to make a salad dressing as I am a vegan ).

I have seen some mini blenders with a glass container, are these better than plastic ?
What speed of blender should I use ?
Where to buy ?   My nearest town / city is Khon Kaen.

I make them with a Thai-style mortar and pestle.  Easier to clean than a food processor.  I have a small electric food processor that works fine for doing this, but it's such a pain to clean and so much product is lost between the blades, etc, that I just take my time and do it the old-fashioned way.  Do you think they had food processors in the Middle East thousands of years ago when they first started eating these foods?

46 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I make them with a Thai-style mortar and pestle.  Easier to clean than a food processor.  I have a small electric food processor that works fine for doing this, but it's such a pain to clean and so much product is lost between the blades, etc, that I just take my time and do it the old-fashioned way.  Do you think they had food processors in the Middle East thousands of years ago when they first started eating these foods?

Thanks NancyL - have tried mortar and pestle which I use for other things but ended up with more sesame seeds on the floor than in the mortar.
As for blending I used a fork which was ok.

The approach to making and the finished product had a more 'rustic' ( not the word I am trying to remember ) look and taste, still very enjoyable.

I agree with your point about wastage and cleaning using an electric appliance.

• 1 year later...

OP - thanks for all the posts and ideas.
Have tried a number of brands such as KC Healthy, there is a wide variation of oil content and when that is taken in to consideration the best bargains are not as they seem.
I also make a salad dressing containing tahini.