Are the rich asian countries restrictive on foreign retirees

Hal65

Places like Japan, South Korea, and maybe Singapore/Taiwan are an interesting look into Thailand's possible future course, being further developed and sharing the same general xenophobic mindset common in this part of the world.

At its current income level Thailand is also clamping down on visa runners mainly under 50, who stay on tourist and ED visas mostly.

I am curious if Japan and Korea have already eliminated, or raised the requirements quite high for retirement visas. If so that may suggest what Thailand does there too. Does anyone know what it's like to retire in those other countries?

20 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Places like Japan, South Korea, and maybe Singapore/Taiwan

You posted this in the SE Asia forum. How many of these countries do you think are in SE Asia?

20 hours ago, Hal65 said:

sharing the same general xenophobic mindset common in this part of the world.

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of xenophobia in the western world with its history of colonialism, ethnic cleansing and current racial profile based immigration policies.

Not sure why your question about retiring in places like Japan needs to be prefaced by your prejudiced world view.

22 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I am curious if Japan and Korea have already eliminated, or raised the requirements quite high for retirement visas. If so that may suggest what Thailand does there too. Does anyone know what it's like to retire in those other countries?

Times change, Cambodia, Vietnam and China have become way easier, Thailand much harder.

In another ten years, it'll all be different again.

On 11/8/2019 at 2:40 PM, Hal65 said:

I am curious if Japan and Korea have already eliminated, or raised the requirements quite high for retirement visas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain neither of those two countries offer anything like a retirement visa for foreign nationals.

I live in Japan, and as far as I know there is no such thing as a retirement visa here.  Aside from tourist, you can get visa sponsorship from an employer if you are working, and eventually can gain permanent resident status. But that takes up to 10 years if you are single (less time if you are married to a Japanese citizen).  

It's a fine place to live, but tends to be very anodyne compared to SE Asia. Plus local transport costs are very high- if I want to take the train to Tokyo from where I live (Nagoya), it costs about $200 USD.  I can fly to Don Muang for the same price!  We are planning to escape to SE Asia when I retire in 10 years, at least on a part time basis.

Archived