Mixed Children

torrenova

If a westerner has a baby with a Thai female, what entitlements does the baby have and what has to be done to preserve these rights etc. Specifically I refer this to British citizens.

What about registering births

Getting a passport

Dual citizenship

Passports

Child benefit from the government

I get conflicting messages from different sources and would like to clear things up. Thanks.

If a westerner has a baby with a Thai female, what entitlements does the baby have and what has to be done to preserve these rights etc. Specifically I refer this to British citizens.

What about registering births

Getting a passport

Dual citizenship

Passports

I get conflicting messages from different sources and would like to clear things up. Thanks.

Depends where they live of course. Assuming you are in Thailand

Registering births

The thai hospital will take care of this. Assuming the mother is a Thai citizen, the child will be registered as Thai citizen on the Thai BC and an ID number will be issued. It is then your duty to add the childs name to the Thai house registry (tabieen baan) within 30 days (I think).

For the british side, it depends on your status as a British national (either british by decent, or otherwise by descent) whether you were married or not to the mother (this last point depends on if the baby was born before or after a particular date in 2006). Best asked experienced Brits about this.

Getting a passport

Thai side - if all went well with registering the birth, then the Thai passport application is a simple matter at the passport office, as the registered details fromt he central house registry database will be transfered to the passport.

From the British side, it is dependent also on what what has happened in the previous step. Again, defer to experienced Brits on this one.

Dual citizenship

No problem with either governments. The law is a bit hazily worded on the Thai side, but there is NO compulsory choosing of nationalites under Thai law, as some may tell you. There is only the option to renounce between ages of 20 and 21. That is it. An option, nothing more.

Passports

Always depart and re-enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

The choice to do a passport swap is up to the traveller, but you'd assume the Brit passport would be easiest to enter most countries given that a visa is unlikely to be needed, especially for the EU, US, Australia,NZ. Travelling in Asia, the Thai passport is of marginally more value.

Thai side: If either you or your wife contribute to Thai social security through your jobs, and have been over the past 7 months before the childs birth, then you are entitled to a 6000 baht rebate on the cost of the birth in Thailand. There is also a small 100 baht/month or so stipend which is paid by social security. Best ask the SS office here in Thailand for exact details.

Working in Thailand, having a child, you are entitled to a 15,000 baht per year per child tax deduction in your income tax.

From the British side, there are residency requirements to collect benefits, so unless you are living in the UK, it is unlikely you'll get benefits here being in Thailand.

Cheers for that.

Information from any Brits having recently gone through the process would be much appreciated. She might have been paying in for 7 months beforehand but it was the UK benefits and passport information which was most important.

As for allowances, I'm not that bothered but if she can get child benefit for the kid then why not ?

re: the passport info.

Assuming bubs was born in Thailand.

Others will need to know if you were married when the bubs was born. If not, when was bubs born? And how did you aquire UK citizenship (were you born in the UK?). It is all relevant unfortunately.

Im in the process of getting a British passport for my littlelun. I am a British passport holder but was not born in the UK, so iv'e been told to get my Birth certificate and fathers in order to proceed.

I hope thats all i need show? as the Clerk at the embassy confusingly mentioned applying to the home office in England, which i read takes up to six months..

Working in Thailand, having a child, you are entitled to a 15,000 baht per year per child tax deduction in your income tax.

I think it's 17,000 baht per child but only if they are going to school. You will need the reciepts of the school fees.

I think it's 17,000 baht per child but only if they are going to school. You will need the reciepts of the school fees.

15K for the child, plus 2K for school fees per child = 17K

Got 15K last week when I submitted my return for our littleun.

You shouldn't have any probs,

When you get the birth certificate from the hospital, get it translated into English, costs about 300 Baht same day, does your misses have a passport? you'll need that as well but thats straightforward. And, You don't have to be married to apply for your baby passport.

And get the baby a Thai passport, then you can use the uk passport to enter England and the Thai to enter Thailand. No visa..

OK I see.

I was told today that for my youngest I'd get nothing as she wasn't going to school.

Did you just have to show the birth certificate?

So what rights do my Daughters have being born in Canada but maybe in the future would like to consider say getting their Thai citizenship/passport/Thai I.D and such? My Wife their mom is Thai.

Same rights as a child born in thailand.

A child, born anywhere in the world to a Thai national, is entitled to Thai citizenship. It goes by blood for Thai nationals.

Born in Canada, you'll have to apply at the Thai embassy there for a Thai BC. For children born overseas, the Thai embassy in that country is the only Thai govt organisation with proper jurstiction who can issue the Thai BC (in Thailand, that'd be the Ampur of birth, so simply think of the RTE in Ottawa as the 'ampur for all of canada). Indeed, the BC they issue is differnent in formal to ones issued in Thailand, though this does not mean that they have any less rights.

At the same time (usually) you can apply for a passport, which can be used for their first entry into Thailand, where, obviously, the can stay visa free and without limit or restriction on their stay (ie, no need for work permits in future).

Upon entry into Thailand for permanent settlement, you'll need to show the BC and Ottawa issued Thai PP to the local ampur for your children to be entered into the families house registry, and if they are 15+ get issued an ID card. This can be done at any age. I'm an overseas born Thai national, but wasn't entered on the house registry until I was 30.

OK I see.

I was told today that for my youngest I'd get nothing as she wasn't going to school.

I took all relevant docs along (inc. marriage cert for spousal deduction), but they didn't want/need to see them.

OK I see.

I took all relevant docs along (inc. marriage cert for spousal deduction), but they didn't want/need to see them.

Well another case of inconsistency - doesn't surprise me at all.

• 1 month later...

This is the first post I've made, but it's a suject close to me.

My daughter was born in August 2006. I'm a UK citizen and my missus is Thai. We're not married. I got the brith certificate and passport for my sprog with very little trouble at all. All I needed was the following documents. I've copied the list from an email I got from the embassy:

Child's original local birth certificate plus a translation

(Please ensure that your full name appears on your child's local birth certificate issued by the district office)

Your UK passport

Your full-length UK birth certificate

Mother's Thai passport

2x photos of the child.

Fill out form C2 which can be downloaded from the embassy website and take along a big wedge of cash.

I was in the embassy all of half an hour, applied for both BC and PP at same time, and ten days later had the documents in my hand.

I haven't got the Thai passport yet, but that's the next step.

Very informative info on this site, especially the dual citizen threads and the "one passport for this and one passport for that" way of travelling.

So what rights do my Daughters have being born in Canada but maybe in the future would like to consider say getting their Thai citizenship/passport/Thai I.D and such? My Wife their mom is Thai.

The Thai Consulate in Vancouver has a handy chart for that.

http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/ind...view&id=111

The site is actually better than the Ottawa Embassy's website for info.

http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/