Patient Dies As Rescuers Fight Over Who Gets To Treat Him

sriracha john

Patient dies as rescuers fight over who gets to treat him

A draft bill on medical emergencies, aimed at safeguarding patients from substandard and unprofessional rescue operations, will be proposed for cabinet consideration by the Public Health Ministry. The move follows a brawl between an emergency team from Samut Prakan hospital and a private rescue unit in Samut Prakan's Muang district on Monday night. The two rescue units fought over who was to deliver a patient suffering from breathing difficulties to a hospital. The fight broke out when the state emergency team told the private rescue unit to back off so they could hook the patient up to a respiratory machine. The private rescue volunteers refused to move and tried to disrupt the state emergency unit's operation. One of the hospital's emergency staff was also beaten. The Samut Prakan hospital emergency team eventually managed to move the patient to their car but it was too late. The patient died on the way to the hospital.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/28Mar2007_news15.php

Tragic, but common I should think. Isn't there some kind of dispute going on at the moment about ambulances that had been commisioned but were found to be unsuitable for the job? Back boards that were too flimsy etc? Until a solution to the total gridlock that is a daily occurance in Bkk is found, more people will die needlessly. :o

I guess I've been lucky on my ambulance rides. Both times, I had motorcycle wrecks in Thailand (Doi Inthanon and rural Chiang Mai province). Each time, nothing was stolen, and the local people jumped to my aid. I was taken by private car (front seat) to nearest hospital, and when I was transferred between hospitals, was charged a pittance for good care.

This report is a shame, and if it's common, a national shame on Thailand. Let's hope it isn't too widespread.

Used to be extremely common in the past. Haven't had an incident (in the media anyway) for some time now. Might be important to take note that the volunteer/private ambulance service involved was a fringe "no name" operation.

:o

I guess I've been lucky on my ambulance rides. Both times, I had motorcycle wrecks in Thailand (Doi Inthanon and rural Chiang Mai province). Each time, nothing was stolen, and the local people jumped to my aid. I was taken by private car (front seat) to nearest hospital, and when I was transferred between hospitals, was charged a pittance for good care.

This report is a shame, and if it's common, a national shame on Thailand. Let's hope it isn't too widespread.

Glad to see you were treated wright Blondie and everything turned out OK for you.

Very sad but its all about money "What price do you put on human life" Not much in Thailand????

My post not 24 hours prior to this topic:

"About 10 years before I even knew thailand exhisted, my father in law drove into the back of a truck, which didn't have his lights on. He was knocked unconscious & badly hurt. It took about 2 hours before an ambulance reached the scene. They then sat there & debated for ten minutes as to whether my father in law could afford the hospital bills. (He was driving a brand new Range Rover at the time). Another ambulance turned up, the two teams of ambulances then proceeded to have a negotiation about which one would do the pickup. (This is a third hand story, but my uncles all attest to it) Litterally 5 hours from accident to treatment.

All whilst my father in law was unconscious & bleeding to death. (He survived after another couple of hours of rough transport to some dingy hospital miles away from the scene)"

Un-believable!!!

Soundman.

Used to be extremely common in the past. Haven't had an incident (in the media anyway) for some time now. Might be important to take note that the volunteer/private ambulance service involved was a fringe "no name" operation.

:o

Seconded. Used to be a fairly common story, and I even recall at least one incident in which rival crews killed each other. I expect Colpyat will have more on this anon.

Aparently the rescue volunteers out in samut prakan are known for having these types of incidents,not sure but I think its mainly because there is lots of small gangs in pickups looking to get the injured first or before the main organisations just for a monetary gain. I dont think it has anything to do with the big 2 organisations which are active in most of central bangkok and are normally doing the best job they can.

Edited by madjbs