Arriving At New Airport At Night?

steffi

So my wife and I will be arriving at the new airport and we'll have a lot of luggage with us.

Rather than travel by taxi during the nighttime and risk harm I'd like to know what the options are upon arrival at the new airport?

Eventually I need to get to Don Muang but I think I'd rather do that during the day when I can see where I'm going.

So my wife and I will be arriving at the new airport and we'll have a lot of luggage with us.

Rather than travel by taxi during the nighttime and risk harm I'd like to know what the options are upon arrival at the new airport?

Eventually I need to get to Don Muang but I think I'd rather do that during the day when I can see where I'm going.

How well do you know BKK and environs, specifically new airport to DM route ?

Not very well especially at night. My wife is Thai but we don't know this route at all as it's our first time going to the new airport.

So take a taxi then. Surely there is a lot less 'risk of harm' (to use your phrase) that way than wandering around aimlessly, lugging suitcases and trying to find buses.

What possible harm can you get in a taxi?

Why overcomplicate life when, really, it is so so simple?

Edited by bendix

Not very well especially at night. My wife is Thai but we don't know this route at all as it's our first time going to the new airport.

As Bendix has already said why not take a taxi. Should be quite safe and as your wife is Thai even better and certainly so much quicker than travelling during the day.

Thais seemed to have heard of Thais returning to Thailand being victimized by Taxi drivers in the past.

It's most probably overblown as I haven't followed this subject myself. I have heard of the problems farangs travelling by themselves in Taxi's have gotten before.

As Bendix has already said why not take a taxi. Should be quite safe and as your wife is Thai even better and certainly so much quicker than travelling during the day.

Thais seemed to have heard of Thais returning to Thailand being victimized by Taxi drivers in the past.

It's most probably overblown as I haven't followed this subject myself. I have heard of the problems farangs travelling by themselves in Taxi's have gotten before.

Definitely overblown. Don't worry about it. And, to add to safety, you get given a slip with the taxi number on it when you get in - all perfectly safe.

So take a taxi then. Surely there is a lot less 'risk of harm' (to use your phrase) that way than wandering around aimlessly, lugging suitcases and trying to find buses.

I am at loss here. A grown man is coming to an airport (to the country he is not a stranger to) and he posts here asking what to do upon arrival?

Call your mum!

If that fails, hug your teddy bear.

Sure but it's a completely new route and for once we're not being picked up by family because of the late arrival time.

Secondly, we will be carrying and it will be easily seen that we have a lot of luggage with us.

Thirdly, it may be prefered to simply stay overnight at a hotel and get picked up the following day or get a taxi when it's daylight. I'm told the overpass to the Novatel isn't complete yet so how do people currently get to this hotel from the airport? Or is there a shuttle from either that hotel or any of the Sukhumvit hotels that come to the new airport?

I am at loss here. A grown man is coming to an airport (to the country he is not a stranger to) and he posts here asking what to do upon arrival?

Call your mum!

If that fails, hug your teddy bear.

When I arrive alone in the middle of the night I take an AOT airport limousine. Yes, it costs more but as a woman travelling alone I do recall previous stories in the paper of women being assaulted by taxis that they got at the airport.

However, two people travelling together should be fine.

If you really have alot of luggage then I believe there are minivans provided for by the AOT limousine service.

Sure but it's a completely new route and for once we're not being picked up by family because of the late arrival time.

Secondly, we will be carrying and it will be easily seen that we have a lot of luggage with us.

Thirdly, it may be prefered to simply stay overnight at a hotel and get picked up the following day or get a taxi when it's daylight. I'm told the overpass to the Novatel isn't complete yet so how do people currently get to this hotel from the airport? Or is there a shuttle from either that hotel or any of the Sukhumvit hotels that come to the new airport?

Seriously steffi. You're worrying far too much. This is Bangkok, not Mogadishu. Get a taxi. Simple as that. What does being dark have to do with anything?

With a risk aversion profile like your's, I'd hate to see your insurance premium bills. :o

If you're concerned about problems with a taxi, or that you might forget something in the taxi, just call a friend or relative and let them know the license number of the taxi you're in. If you have a mobile phone, enter the license number into the phone as a name and number; the name being the two alphabet letters that most closely resemble the Thai alpha letters (like n and w's), and the 4 digit number. When you take the next taxi, just replace the old license number with the new one. That way, you'll always have the license number of the last taxi that you took, in case you need to track that taxi down via the police. If you speak some Thai, make sure the taxi driver hears you repeating the license number to whoever you call. You can even fake a call, just so the driver thinks you're talking to someone and telling them the license number.

The phone is a neat device for keeping records of all kinds -- passport number, credit card numbers, ID numbers, etc, in addition to just phone numbers, even addresses.

Honestly, i wonder where some people get the courage to get out of bed in the morning. Think of the risks - you might stub your toe, or scald your tongue on your morning cup of tea.

To the OP. Don't come to Thailand. It's too dangerous. I was lieing. You will undoubtedly be murdered enroute to the hotel. They are not called taxi mafia for no reason, you know.

Modern society is crap. We spend all our time worrying about what calamities might happen, and none enjoying life.

:o I'm at a total loss of what to make of this. He has a Thai wife (who presumably speaks the lingo) and has been to Thailand before. Where is the problem. I am sure that the Novotel in Bangna would send out a minibus to meet you if that's what you really want. As to the price, I have no idea.

Are we being trolled here?? :o

*it's a completely new route

*we're not being picked up by family

*get a taxi when it's daylight

*travel by taxi during the nighttime and risk harm

*I'm told the overpass to the Novatel isn't complete yet so how do people currently get to this hotel from the airport?