Big C extra cheap Charlie meetings

scotinsiam

I was in Pattaya Klang Big C food court today.

It was pretty embarrassing as groups of old farangs were sitting around filling up multiple tables as well as some individuals.

They had food and drink with them brought from outside and some were drinking beer out of a bottle wrapped in a bag.

Most were in vests and threadbare clothes. The Thai people there noticed the scum but were too polite to say anything.

What the <deleted> has happened to Pattaya?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, scotinsiam said:

Its been going on for years already ..."they" ( probably not the same they)  used to sit at Burger King in Royal garden and at the (old) food court in "Central",as far as I can tell they don't cause any trouble..just while away their days being sociable with each other.

23 minutes ago, scotinsiam said:

I was in Pattaya Klang Big C food court today.

It was pretty embarrassing as groups of old farangs were sitting around filling up multiple tables as well as some individuals.

They had food and drink with them brought from outside and some were drinking beer out of a bottle wrapped in a bag.

Most were in vests and threadbare clothes. The Thai people there noticed the scum but were too polite to say anything.

If you come more often, you could notice some of them have an empty plastic bottle 

and they fill it at the free fountain drinking water for later use. Nothing new here.

Also past 7 pm Big C pattaya klang has some good discounts on the catering dishes

(10 to 25 %). With the bad exchange rate and on a long term here everything to save some 

money is good to take.

41 minutes ago, scotinsiam said:

hey had food and drink with them brought from outside and some were drinking beer out of a bottle wrapped in a bag.

Most were in vests and threadbare clothes.

Horrific. That can't be unseen, hope your alright

"They had food and drink with them brought from outside and some were drinking beer out of a bottle wrapped in a bag." 

Mostly they buy this upstairs in the supermarket and consume it downstairs at the tables. In the supermarket they also cook food for you if you want. I would eat it downstairs too as long as it is hot. I think nobody has a problem with this and most of the time there are enough empty tables. 

Living on a budget has nothing to do with existing like a tramp.

Do you realize most of the retired in Thailand have lost more than 50% of

their income in less than 10 years under the double effect of the down in exchange rate and the rising prices?

And since their visa forbidden them to work, they have no choice except reduce their spend

I would not call them scum.  But sure seems they are enjoying the air conditioning, the feeling of not being alone and seeing other people and things going on.  However bringing in food and drink is not the intent of the food court and at some point somebody will probably call them out on it.  Thais tend to not like to interfere or speak to strangers in situations like this.

3 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I would not call them scum.  But sure seems they are enjoying the air conditioning, the feeling of not being alone and seeing other people and things going on. 

Sounds like 90% of Thais in a shopping Mall.

I used to sit around with expats in coffee shops, but now I can't afford the coffee, so I sit at home alone drinking it.

6 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

They are tramps. The end.

You seem to live in a rural area, i wish you enjoy your surrounding

I did it too during 5 years so i know what a tramp is because

this is what a lot of Thais are in these small villages, living in slums with nothing.

At least the farangs don't come at your table asking to ''borrow'' some money

from you on a daily basis.

7 hours ago, petermik said:

Doesn,t need to say anything...he should have placed a 1000 baht note on their table and said "enjoy chaps".....I would have :wai:

7 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Enjoy what exactly? Existing like a tramp?

Enjoy whatever they could buy with the money...........duh :whistling:

Sounds like what happens everywhere with locals, the only difference being the locals unnoticed as of being in their home country.
When a (white) foreigner does it, it is suddenly called dirty and cheap, somehow.

Recently noticed, by paying more attention, that more and more in CM many old guys are 'secretly' sitting at small local minimarts drinking, hidden behind products in the shade, made me figure where all the regulars (that are gone from the cheaper bars) have gone. Either that or at home. 

The funny thing is, those guys might be on a yearly extension visa, while others have to do runners while spending 2-3x monthly. 

I personally can't blame them, back home they most likely be stuck in a house all day, here they get some chit chat and a cheap beer + meals for the same.
Even I do not feel like judging them, I would never like to become like that or live like that myself (but I guess they never planned so either).

Few options left at that age, not being allowed to do any small work here too, not getting a job back home, leaves one to accept the situation or turn to crime.

I think I'd be minding my own business. It is unwise to judge people on appearances.

For example, my landlord ( in his seventies ) owns a house in London, an apartment on Sydney Harbor, a house in Kuala Lumpur, and another in Chiang Mai's Old City which has to be worth 25 million baht. He owns six apartments in my condo.

If you saw him, you would think he was down to his last 5 baht.

1 hour ago, tabarin said:

Sounds like what happens everywhere with locals, the only difference being the locals unnoticed as of being in their home country.
When a (white) foreigner does it, it is suddenly called dirty and cheap, somehow.

10 years ago i saw a young white farang begging for money in Bangkok, that was shocking at the time

Archived