Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You're in Thailand accept it as it is, treat zebra crossings as if they don't exist.

Never happened to me, but i heard of foreigners being fined for jaywalking in some popular area of Bangkok.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are the one with the mental disorder, you must suffer from a 'pseudo stockholm syndrome' where you assume your host country can do no wrong instead blaming the victim. 

A Japanese girl recently stood her ground on the pavement / sidewalk when a motorcycle tried to ride past. Much to her acclaim there was much comment in the news and social media. 

This is another such issue where someone has rightly had enough, the protesting man was hit while crossing a road, that's more significant than 'I too am upset if someone does stop' - read the op again he was hit. Now, it is extreme to react when you are hit by a car which brakes the law. 

The Pedestrian crossing laws in Thailand are very much the same as they are in other Western Countries such as the UK. The failings in Thailand are down to the poor enforcement and the attitudes of drivers that people who are not walking are below them (i.e. if you can afford a car you don't walk).

You have no idea if what you have said is true.  he may have just stepped out without looking, in front of a vehicle that had no time to stop.  The driver may have been unsighted by parked cars, a common problem here. The fact is that you don't cross the road, on a crossing or not, without first assessing the traffic coming towards you and acting with extreme caution. As to the crossings being the same as in other countries, that is patently untrue.  They are nothing here other than painted marks on the road.  If, as a pedestrian, you fail to acknowledge this simple truth, then you are indeed an idiot abroad. 

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

Absolutely correct. 

I heard the story, many years ago (possibly apocryphal - but probably not), that decades back some Thai hi-so travelled to the West and saw zebra crossings and thought they would look good in Thailand. They were introducted - but no one bothered to tell the Thai populace what they were actually for!

I fully understand the frustration and rebelliousnes of this Westerner (in the video), taking a stand (or sit!) against Thai traffic idiocy. 

Well done him! Brave guy in my eyes. Thailand needs to be told - and shamed.

3 hours ago, Beggar said:

This guy must have a mental disorder. Such people are a shame for other foreigners. I am upset too if someone doesn't stop at a pedestrian crossing. But his behavior is extreme. 

I wouldn't say that, it may even make a difference (????) especially if it gets in the western press

3 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

It's only to show to the entire world that Thailand is civilised. And to load the pocket of the companies boss who painted the zebras.

It could be.

A few others have given similar answers.

3 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

Under Thai traffic laws, what are vehicles required to do with respect to zebra crossings?  Are they required to give pedestrians the right of way once they step foot in the zebra crossing?  Or are the Thai traffic laws silent on this point?

Anyone giving way risks being rear ended by the prat behind him or watching the pedestrians being used as skittles by an unseen bike on the inside as they cross the road.

Ask me how i know....

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

You have no idea if what you have said is true.  he may have just stepped out without looking, in front of a vehicle that had no time to stop.  The driver may have been unsighted by parked cars, a common problem here. The fact is that you don't cross the road, on a crossing or not, without first assessing the traffic coming towards you and acting with extreme caution. As to the crossings being the same as in other countries, that is patently untrue.  They are nothing here other than painted marks on the road.  If, as a pedestrian, you fail to acknowledge this simple truth, then you are indeed an idiot abroad. 

Idiots abroad! That would make a good series!!!!

4 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Absolutely correct. 

I heard the story, many years ago (possibly apocryphal - but probably not), that decades back some Thai hi-so travelled to the West and saw zebra crossings and thought they would look good in Thailand. They were introducted - but no one bothered to tell the Thai populace what they were actually for!

I fully understand the frustration and rebelliousnes of this Westerner (in the video), taking a stand (or sit!) against Thai traffic idiocy. 

Well done him! Brave guy in my eyes. Thailand needs to be told - and shamed.

I assume the poor guy is travelling to Thailand for the first time, probably in shock after being hit unexpectedly.

I don't understand why some posters are so eager to condemn his behaviour.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

I assume the poor guy is travelling to Thailand for the first time, probably in shock after being hit unexpectedly.

Some posters would jump on a dying old lady without hesitation, a bit like a shoal of piranhas ......

4 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

The zebra crossings are placed on busy Thai roadways to encourage foreigners who think pedestrians have the right away, to walk across the street so Thai drivers can run them over.  It tends to amuse the younger Thai drivers, especially when they get to run over elderly foreigners with impunity.

This is number 67 of why westerners are leaving Thailand, for safer and less restrictive destinations.  It is one of the many reasons, Thailand is known as "Amazing Thailand." 

Why don’t pedestrians have the right a way? 

The Thai culture has yet to  understand how to drive using an automobile....

pretty obvious why the culture is the worst driving culture in the world...

yet they continue with worthless campaigns having no impact on reduction numbers....

the bottom line is they don’t want to change their ways and that is the most perplexing....

1 minute ago, CMNightRider said:

The zebra crossings are placed on busy Thai roadways to encourage foreigners who think pedestrians have the right away, to walk across the street so Thai drivers can run them over.  It tends to amuse the younger Thai drivers, especially when they get to run over elderly foreigners with impunity.

This is number 67 of why westerners are leaving Thailand, for safer and less restrictive destinations.  It is one of the many reasons, Thailand is known as "Amazing Thailand." 

and if the farang don't cross the road, they can always get them on the sidewalk with a motorcycle!!!

1 minute ago, cardinalblue said:

yet they continue with worthless campaigns having no impact on reduction numbers....

the bottom line is they don’t want to change their ways and that is the most perplexing....

There's a closed Facebook group called "knock over the farang"

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Because many foreigners who settle and marry here become so assimilated in "Thainess" they forget all logic and reason and instead appropriate the Somchai gene, and blame the "farang" because they don't understand Thainess, to the point of also not stopping at a pedestrian walk because their wife tells them not to because they may get hit by another Somchai...

The Somchai gene is an interesting social phenomenon. 

2 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Thais tend to be poorly educated, although they are friendly, and competent law enforcement is virtually non existent.

4 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

They are in case Zebras and Penguins are on their hols and don't drive cars or ride bikes...????.................????

1 hour ago, SuwadeeS said:

Where is the PM?????

He said, he wants to reduce the dead rate of accidents.

So why he does not do a real crackdown and people who violate

the traffic laws??????

Yes indeed! My respect for Prayut (not that anything resembling that currently exists in me!) would go up a notch if, after this incident, he came on TV and said that this foreigner is actually right to protest and that Thais must learn to follow internationally binding rules of the road.

Sorry: I just woke up from a fantasy dream! Silly me.

This guy must have a mental disorder. Such people are a shame for other foreigners. I am upset too if someone doesn't stop at a pedestrian crossing. But his behavior is extreme. 

Yes his reaction is extreme but good for him in making a stand. Now it has been highlighted in the media perhaps the authorities will be shamed into actually enforcing traffic regulations for a few days at least.

would say you have no wife or kids the man is being a one man protester at the lazy police and the complete disregard for road rules and the Thai man needs a kick up the rear end

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

They are by law not required to do anything. Pedestrians are the ones that should use the crossings. That because it´s safer as many of them also have traffic lights, as well as they will not risk beeing fined for jay walking.

I see.  So there is no legal requirement for vehicles to stop when someone enters a zebra crossing.  the burden is on the pedestrian to cross at their own risk.  If they do not cross at a zebra crossing, then they are subject to a jaywalking fine.

If that's really the law on this matter in Thailand, then the driver did nothing wrong.  Full blame on the foreigner.

11 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

I have just 10 minutes ago witnessed a driver stop his pick up in the fast lane of a highway to get out of his motor to check his passenger side wing mirror . death wish or what !

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Pedestrian crossing laws in Thailand are very much the same as they are in other Western Countries such as the UK. The failings in Thailand are down to the poor enforcement and the attitudes of drivers that people who are not walking are below them (i.e. if you can afford a car you don't walk).

What is the pedestrian crossing law in Thailand?  Vehicles must stop when a pedestrian is crossing, or something else?

2 hours ago, meechai said:

There is the Oxymoron of the day...."Thai Traffic Laws" 555

Yeah, Thai Traffic Laws, also known as the Land Traffic Act (1979). 

If you stay here long enough, you'll learn that there are plenty of laws on the books, but enforcement is another question.

Archived