Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

9pm.jpg

Thai television showed the aftermath of an accident in which a caucasian man is seen sitting on a Zebra Crossing in front of a stopped car. 

The apparently female driver of the car is seen smiling as the foreigner stubbornly refuses to get up and get out of the way. He is adamant that he is in the right.

The presenters on the TNA show say that the "farang" is "ngong" - completely perplexed by what has happened. 

They say that zebra crossings in Thailand are not the same as those from where he is from - no one bothers to stop. 

They comment that fortunately he is not badly hurt. 

The presenters discuss Thailand and its driving habits - they talk about amber lights that should mean slow down, but in reality Thai drivers speed up to get through the intersection. 

In their written report it suggested that the foreigner either didn't know or had forgotten that no one stops for pedestrians on zebra crossings. 

They noted that in the UK, Australia, Japan and Western Europe drivers have to stop and penalties for those that don't are severe. 

But not here. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-14

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

Same as all other road markings and signs in Thailand. To be ignored. 

20 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

The white bits make the pedestrian easier to see, and therefore a better target! ☺

24 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

It's a suggestion, like stopping for red traffic lights or driving on the left on a dual carriageway.

Other suggestions, wearing a m/c helmet, seat belt, one way street, etc.

Up to you!

The man is an idiot, one for thinking that a few painted lines on a road in Thailand mean that it is a zebra crossing in the western sense and two, for getting upset when he gets knocked over on one.  Chill man, you're not in Kansas anymore. 

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

They say that zebra crossings in Thailand are not the same as those from where he is from - no one bothers to stop. 

And of course, the total absence of any Thai logic or thought in such matters never bothers to consider the obvious resulting question of.... what's the point of having the marked pedestrian crossings if drivers ignore them and the police don't enforce them?

It's almost like they're a foreigners' honey pot trap -- we lure you in with the illusion of safety and then BAM!, you're unsuspecting Thailand road kill.... :ninja: 

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

The white bits make the pedestrian easier to see, and therefore a better target! ☺

I usually find that the pedestrian crossings are well placed, no-one stops but they are usually placed far enough away from a corner to be in a place that is safer to cross than others. Besides which I have wondered if you were hit crossing 300 metres from one, your insurance company especially if foreign or travel insurance, might try to wriggle out of paying saying that you ignored a "safe" place to cross

“They say that zebra crossings in Thailand are not the same as those from where he is from - no one bothers to stop.”

Rubbish! The zebra crossings in thailand are designed exactly the same as in the west.
But it’s the lack of training and absolutely no enforcement of the law that is the problem.
It was the same in regard to motorbikes on footpaths! It’s illegal. But was never enforced until recently in some areas, and now there are fewer motorbikes on the footpaths because they are more likely to get fined now.
Start dishing out fines for the zebra crossing runners then see what happens.

1 minute ago, BobbyL said:

These crossings are a death trap here. If they don't mean anything under Thai road rules then what is the point of them. Why has Thailand copied them?

There is one outside my work which nobody pays any attention to. 

There is one on the Beach Road in front a big police station here in Pattaya and it even has traffic lights. It is not easy to see where the crossing exactly is and the buttons you have to press to switch the traffic lights are also somehow hidden. But in the end some drivers don't even stop if they have a red stop light. The only advantage you have there is if a vehicle hits you then it is not very far to the next police station ????

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's a suggestion, like stopping for red traffic lights or driving on the left on a dual carriageway.

Other suggestions, wearing a m/c helmet, seat belt, one way street, etc.

Up to you!

That's also my reasoning, but i was trying to see things from the point of view of one who doesn't know Thailand !

I wonder if, as a foreigner, you could be fined if you DON'T use the zebra crossings though :coffee1:

Archived