Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

FWIW, as a somewhat long-time resident here, I always cross at corners and marked crossings as appropriate...

But the difference is,  I always am looking both ways and PRESUME that any approaching cars are NOT going to stop unless I see them doing so as they approach me ahead of them. And I'm always ready to jump aside if I see one heading for me that's not gonna stop.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 things completely perplex me:

a) the way Thais think, their own braindeadness is hilariously funny!

b) the way, some expats think everything in Thailand is so great, it doesn't even need critical thinking to happen!

Maybe...just maybe...not every white dude is an expat, living in Thailand for 20 years and then suddenly snaps at a zebra- crossing!

What about tourists, who fail to google "how batsh*t crazy are Thai- drivers", before they come on a holiday to Thailand for the first (and most likely last...) time!

What did this guy accom0lish? I understand and believe what everyone is talking about, but he is not going to be asked to speak on a morning talk show, no one is going to take up and start protesting- most Thais never get any formal training, or license and acting like a spoiled kid from the West will not change a thing, especially  doesn't help those of us that love living here despite the dangers of daily life. Get up brush your off your knees and move on...

It happens everywhere

My Mrs never accepts she has to stop when somebody is on a crossing, her excuse is the car behind might run into us. Most dangerous place to cross because some will stop and others don't. even on red light crossings. At least Thais usually shout at drivers now who just plough on ignoring the lights

So why is he sitting there, he doesn't appear to be hurt.

Couldn't he just get the drivers details and report her to the authorities for hitting an endangered species on a pedestrian crossing.

Land Traffic Act - B.E. 2522 (1979)

Section 104 (200B)
Pedestrian shall not cross a way within not more distance than 100 meters from a pedestrian crossing except in the pedestrian crossing.

11 minutes ago, Beggar said:

There is one on the Beach Road in front a big police station here in Pattaya and it even has traffic lights. It is not easy to see where the crossing exactly is and the buttons you have to press to switch the traffic lights are also somehow hidden. But in the end some drivers don't even stop if they have a red stop light. The only advantage you have there is if a vehicle hits you then it is not very far to the next police station ????

Not everybody lives here and not everyone knows that the road is full of arrogant, selfish simpletons

14 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

2 things completely perplex me:

a) the way Thais think, their own braindeadness is hilariously funny!

b) the way, some expats think everything in Thailand is so great, it doesn't even need critical thinking to happen!

Maybe...just maybe...not every white dude is an expat, living in Thailand for 20 years and then suddenly snaps at a zebra- crossing!

What about tourists, who fail to google "how batsh*t crazy are Thai- drivers", before they come on a holiday to Thailand for the first (and most likely last...) time!

Very fair comment. Having said that though, when i got to Bangkok for the first time and saw with my own eyes the driving habits, it took me a very short time to work out that I need to take extra special care crossing the road. that's more common sense than googling for info on "bat<deleted> crazy Thai drivers".

Also, the man is just really making a holy show of himself. childlike really.

31 minutes ago, Beggar said:

This guy must have a mental disorder. Such people are a shame for other foreigners. I am upset too if someone doesn't stop at a pedestrian crossing. But his behavior is extreme. 

I see no shame in his behaviour. Surely the shame should be on those who behaviour results in the law being broken? 

I thought I saw a policeman in the video.  It looked like he was more interested in getting the man to move off the road than in writing a citation to the driver.   The lack of a ticket for the driver could have been one reason why the man was so upset.

57 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

To use up the millions of litres of zebra crossing paint that was ordered by the authorities years ago.

4 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I see no shame in his behaviour. Surely the shame should be on those who behaviour results in the law being broken? 

But there are laws and regulations how to handle such things. Sitting in the middle of the road and blocking the traffic is for sure not one of them. 

59 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

It´s simply a place where people are advised to cross the road. You ever seen a jaywalking sign?

53 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

Forgive him, He not know about Thai style Zebra crossing....

He could have been forgiven, if he had been taking the explaination and advice. Hell, the Thai female drvier even wai to him. As he act showing his extreme mentality, he can not be forgiven. His face should up on posters in shame.

48 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Same as all other road markings and signs in Thailand. To be ignored. 

No, they are not. Most drivers does not ignore them. Some, even many, do and thats the ones we see and recognize. After that it´s easy to judge a total population based on that, which is totally unfair.

46 minutes ago, Angry Dragon said:

Under Thai traffic laws, what are vehicles required to do with respect to zebra crossings?  Are they required to give pedestrians the right of way once they step foot in the zebra crossing?  Or are the Thai traffic laws silent on this point?

They are by law not required to do anything. Pedestrians are the ones that should use the crossings. That because it´s safer as many of them also have traffic lights, as well as they will not risk beeing fined for jay walking.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

According to international agreements on the Traffic Code, pedestrian crossings must be paint in the street. The problem is that the majority of people does not respect the use of pedestrian crossings and the police do not sanction misconduct. 

50 minutes ago, Miaow said:

For zebras?

Everything gets a crossing.Image result for zebra crossing sign   image.jpeg.5b1c7dce36d1c5f3b98194ec4e0673ac.jpeg   image.png.576e6616c2b63ac724d2ce597772bc2f.png   image.jpeg.eb5e352821b73e6d6412f3bf1c566a45.jpeg          image.png.059da688e13d719833900c4cd02ddd5b.png image.png.42e0aec4c400b67b7112d68ad1b1378c.png Image result for zebra crossingAnd the most famous zebra crossing in the world.

I even stopped for one of these yesterday and got praised by my wife and a thumbs up from a Thai driver. 

image.jpeg.ced61deef4577abae954058da3cd78f2.jpeg

The pedestrian may be technically correct but persisting to "THINK" Thai's will obey laws will only get him hurt repeatedly or killed.  Zebra (Designated) crossings are a good idea only if people obey the laws?  This guy appears to be a dramatic Diva who is aiming to receive a Darwinian Award.

Instead of man made laws that are not followed this guy needs to follow the "law of the jungle" or it will end badly for him. 

When in Bangkok (Rome) do as the Bangkokians (Romans) do applies here - again it will assist in his longevity on our planet!

When you start making fun of a tourist who may have been experiencing his first pedestrian crossing in Thailand instead of the ridiculous laws and stupid Thai drivers...you know you have been here too long and you have been assimilated into the ranks of the dumb.

Congratulations.

12 minutes ago, zhounan said:

According to international agreements on the Traffic Code, pedestrian crossings must be paint in the street. The problem is that the majority of people does not respect the use of pedestrian crossings and the police do not sanction misconduct. 

Yep, in fact mine was a rhetorical question.

1 minute ago, DLock said:

When you start making fun of a tourist who may have been experiencing his first pedestrian crossing in Thailand instead of the ridiculous laws and stupid Thai drivers...you know you have been here too long and you have been assimilated into the ranks of the dumb.

Congratulations.

Oh, come on, it's just a bit of healthy cynicism.

Btw, the guy was not hurt, and his protesting with a sit-in is rather funny.

Wonder if he's still sitting there.

Archived