Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

Thailand Road Traffic Act

Zebra crossings are marked with black and white stripes on the road and zigzag lines on either side. These markings warn drivers that there may be pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross the road. They also tell drivers that they must give way to pedestrians on the crossing.Jul 18, 2017

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 30la said:

Better to learn it very quickly that all the rules we know exist even in Thailand, but almost nobody respects them!

You have to adapt to Thailand. It is very optimistic and often frustrating to expect it the other way around. 

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is a perfect example of the 'pseudo-stockholm-syndrome' I mentioned earlier when in light of a 'wrong doing' the sufferer instead sides with the 'aggressor' instead of the 'victim' as if this in someway makes things ok in the sufferers head. 

A car not stopping at a Pedestrian Crossing (only North Americans call it a crosswalk) and hitting a pedestrian is in the wrong, not the Pedestrian. 

That said, everyone knows we have to be extra careful when crossing the road here. But even then we have cars baring down on us with no intention of even slightly adjusting their speed to make things safer instead. I have seen cars (taxi) accelerate at crossing pedestrians on a crossing and then blaring the horn - some drivers here are total aggressive psychopathic lunatics who deserve a severe beating for commonly placing pedestrians at such risk. 

You left out the police they don't stop either

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The man is an idiot, one for thinking that a few painted lines on a road in Thailand mean that it is a zebra crossing in the western sense and two, for getting upset when he gets knocked over on one.  Chill man, you're not in Kansas anymore. 

a friend that was suffering with metastatic cancer had also become very frustrated and p issed off when he was trying to use a zebra crossing essentially to cross the street to get his hospital. he displayed facial anger and waved his arms trying to motion to cars that they have to stop.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The man is an idiot, one for thinking that a few painted lines on a road in Thailand mean that it is a zebra crossing in the western sense and two, for getting upset when he gets knocked over on one.  Chill man, you're not in Kansas anymore. 

Absolutely correct - sadly like many posts on this forum- Always quoting back home - in the UK, USA , Australia, France , etc etc - we do not live in Kansas ( wherever that is ) or London , Sidney  etc.

Personally I like getting away from the totally controlled way of life in the West - within reason you can do what you like - it’s very refreshing. 

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

My Mrs never accepts she has to stop when somebody is on a crossing, her excuse is the car behind might run into us. Most dangerous place to cross because some will stop and others don't. even on red light crossings. At least Thais usually shout at drivers now who just plough on ignoring the lights

That's a valid excuse, I've been hit from behind a couple of times by motorbikes that lost control when I stopped for pedestrians at zebra crossings.

And had a handful of close calls with screeching breaks etc...

And I stop by slowing down very gently like 50 meters before the crossing .. the last time I was fully stopped for 4 seconds when a motorbike hit me...  They get super confused when someone stops for pedestrians and it causes grave danger to everyone including the pedestrians... Ps, the pedestrians didn't cross the last time lol.

33 minutes ago, berrec said:
Thailand Road Traffic Act

Zebra crossings are marked with black and white stripes on the road and zigzag lines on either side. These markings warn drivers that there may be pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross the road. They also tell drivers that they must give way to pedestrians on the crossing.Jul 18, 2017

Fake news or bad translation. 

Can you tell what section number that is from?

The Thai land traffic act of 1979 says that drivers must slow down and beware of pedestrians but not give way. They also say that pedestrians must beware of vehicles etc and wait for it to be safe..

It are stories like this that circulate globally and make people think Twice about

coming here.  If pedestrian crosswalks are ignored and not cared about, why should

Red lights be cared about ?  Crossing the road in Thailand is ALWAYS a <deleted> shoot.

A German lady just died this week trying. How many of us have had close calls ?

52 minutes ago, kevvy said:

We live near the white temple in Chiang Rai, I always stop for the people on the crossing . What do the other drivers do , just go around me and dont care about the people half way on .. Incredible Thai motorists never cease to amaze me 

Then take the hint or you will be the next one rear ended. 

3 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

Under Thai traffic laws, what are vehicles required to do with respect to zebra crossings?  Are they required to give pedestrians the right of way once they step foot in the zebra crossing?  Or are the Thai traffic laws silent on this point?

Section 70

[The driver shall reduce speed when approaching a junction, pedestrian crossing, vehicle stop line, or circle (rotary).]

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

My Mrs never accepts she has to stop when somebody is on a crossing, her excuse is the car behind might run into us. Most dangerous place to cross because some will stop and others don't. even on red light crossings. At least Thais usually shout at drivers now who just plough on ignoring the lights

This guy stopped because of a cat on the road. Look what happened ????

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

My Jeep was once rear-ended by a motorbike when I stopped at a stop sign in the village near my home. Long story short, I was "advised" by the local police to pay to get the motorbike fixed, just  couple hundred baht, because, as they explained, "Bill, you live here. You KNOW no one ever stops at that stop sign." ????

I learned to drive in Thailand. And my Thai driving teacher scolded me when I stopped at a stop sign and explained it's too dangerous and that I will get hit from behind....

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

I thought I saw a policeman in the video.  It looked like he was more interested in getting the man to move off the road than in writing a citation to the driver.   The lack of a ticket for the driver could have been one reason why the man was so upset.

He first has to clear the traffic blockage before he issues a ticket. He also has to talk to witnesses if they exist. 

you got to be stupid to just mow someone down in a car in any country, even if you have the right of way

anyone else seeing this driver sitting there smiling want to cringe?

likely scenario here is the driver slowing down seeing him, he thinks he has a go, and she does not stop. 

never go in front in asia, even if they stop for you or waive you on. its a go behind a target vehicle each time. wait by curb, proceed out as vehicle is passing out of swerve distance and walk to its side and behind it as its moving past you.

5 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Section 70

[The driver shall reduce speed when approaching a junction, pedestrian crossing, vehicle stop line, or circle (rotary).]

Section 70 refers to bus lanes.

Section 32. In using the road the driver shall be careful in avoiding 
the conveyance not to hit or graze a pedestrian, notwithstanding at any part of the 
path, and must give warning signal for the pedestrian to be aware when it is 
necessary, in particular, a child, elder person, or the disabled using the road, the 
driver must take special care in controlling his or her conveyance.

Chapter XIII pedestrians 

Does not mention unmonitored pedestrian crossings at all. 

Section 145

.... In the case where a driver has hit or grazed a pedestrian crossing the 
path outside the pedestrian crossing and being amid the pedestrian crossing and the 
traffic sign indicating pedestrian crossing area, or crossing the path outside the 
pedestrian crossing by passing under, over or through the barrier or traffic barrier 
installed by the traffic officer or competent official or existing on the pavement or in 
the middle of the road, upon reasonable ground to believe that the driver, who is 
accused, has duly taken special care under section 32, the investigation officer has 
the power to release the accused provisionally without bail when requested by the 
accused or the interested person.

Sect 145 implies that outside pedestrian crossing safety zone section 32 applies.. so inside safety zone must be driver at fault automatically.

3 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

Under Thai traffic laws, what are vehicles required to do with respect to zebra crossings?  Are they required to give pedestrians the right of way once they step foot in the zebra crossing?  Or are the Thai traffic laws silent on this point?

Seriously, can anyone please provide me with a link to the Thai traffic laws in english language??

46 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

You ain't in Kansas now, Toto. 

Just another dumb Farang who refused to recognize the reality of the situation. 

Another assimilated Thai apologist who shames a victim that may be on his first day of his holiday.

And you call the victim "dumb" and use the word "farang" as if were no longer one?

Guess what?...you are.

3 hours ago, Beggar said:

This guy must have a mental disorder. Such people are a shame for other foreigners. I am upset too if someone doesn't stop at a pedestrian crossing. But his behavior is extreme. 

It beggar's belief????

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

It's only to show to the entire world that Thailand is civilised. And to load the pocket of the companies boss who painted the zebras.

Archived