Windows Product Key

eltel

3 hours ago, eltel said:

they have loaded a copy of Windows

"They", a typical booth seller?

Loaded Windows and tons of SW that would need licenses?

Would all be cracked/hacked stuff and at some point might stop or be trimmed down.

What does the Windows license check say?

It should work to legalize Windows with a purchased key using the change license/key function.

Do not care about any other suggestions, than buying your Windows Key directly from Microsoft Store. It will be the only way to maximaise the guarantee that you are the only one with the same Key. It will cost maybe 20 dollar more, but it will be worth it.

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Do not care about any other suggestions, than buying your Windows Key directly from Microsoft Store. It will be the only way to maximaise the guarantee that you are the only one with the same Key. It will cost maybe 20 dollar more, but it will be worth it.

https://www.microsoft.com/th-th/store/b/windows

฿6,199 Home US$205

฿8,999 Pro US$297

20 dollar more or 200 dollar more?

you haven't mentioned what version of Windows you were after...

but anyways - two of my laptops. Both Windows 7 machines

both machine OS were totally boogered 

both machines had their Microsoft labels intact underneath 

both machines' OS were softload OSs from the retailer

I went to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows7 

and downloaded an ISO image, of exactly same Windows OS version, as per what was on my labels (W7 Home Premium for my examples) 

Put image onto a bootable stick

I fired up a machine, going into Windows repair mode, using boot stick

follow the prompts, but eventually you input the Codes from the sticker under the laptop

Of course, it will be rejected. But this is just a part of the procedure...

Next; 

You then receive their new Codes, from MS; and input them as directed 

For one machine, I did it be Complete Replacement of the Windows directory ( I wiped the Drive totally)

The other machine, I did as a sort of Repair

(all the previous content of the Window directory of the old failed Windows, is all in a folder called Windows.Old

Both machine now work fine, although thios method requires you to manually installed all the needed drivers, for Display, Sound. Modem etc 

Nether Windows install required any payment

Same Image was used on both Laptops 

There were no problems having both Installs verified by MS 

so really, it all boils down to making sure you simply load an ISO image, of the exact same version, that is printed on your existing label  

I am now contemplating doing this all again, with my old XP Pro laptop, down in the cupboard. The download pages have whatever version you want - if it is the version on your label... 

all you have to remember, is the latest Label code now given to you for the respective New Install - for future use

this above was all legit, no fake copies, no fake codes or Cracks 

-

Thanks everyone who has replayed

A bit more info

I bought the PC for my son to play games.

No extra SW was loaded, I am quit happy loading open source SW (Word etc) if needed.

I would load a open source OS, but this is above my level.

OS Spec:

Windows 10 pro

Version 1709

Build 16299.1087

Once again Thanks Terry

13 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Microsoft wants everyone using Windows 10 and has appeared to be less concerned with people selling 'original equipment manufacturer' (OEM) keys online.

Genuine OEM keys can be purchased for a few dollars. They are unique for single machine use and have activation set to be non-transferable beyond hardware limits.

When someone buys a OEM key they are taking on the role of the manufacturer of the computer. This means that if the user has problems with hardware compatibility, a call to Microsoft might end with you being told to contact the computer manufacturer.

If someone wants the ability to move a key to another computer and have the Microsoft Nannies on hand 24/7 then they should purchase the retail version at a super premium price.  

Win10 Pro - $10 OEM or $200 retail. I suggest folks make the most of cheap OEM's before the door closes.

2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

You can Win 10 Licenses from eBay, starting at around $5.

I've bought around 20 of these and they all work just fine.

I bought my W10 pro license from a German company (registered company, tax ID, proper address).

Cost about 12 Euro and works for more than a year now without any glitch.

3 hours ago, eltel said:

Windows 10 pro

Version 1709

That's overdue for an upgrade (online), support running out!

Best buy/install a license before trying the upgrade.

I am surprised that you did not see/get upgrade yet?

21 hours ago, eltel said:

I've recently bought a computer and they have loaded a copy of Windows.

My question is can I buy a Windows Product Key off the internet.

Would this make my copy legal?

Hi Terry, are you sure the operating system isn't an OEM version that came with the new computer and is actually legit already? I know you say it's W10 Pro (most OEM versions on lower end machines are W10 home) but that is not unheard off. Check the inside of the box for a sticker showing your 25 digit key.

Check your version through Search and type in 'winver' and enter.

To check the activation of the OS open the command prompt and type in 'slmgr /xpr' and enter. It has to be noted that this does not show the activation method (such as several KMS tools, script, etc) so not positive proof of legit operating system however, to Microsoft it is as this is the information they are reading.

If still in doubt, download the ISO from Microsoft and make a bootable media, if using the media creation tool go to https://www.microsoft.com/th-th/software-download/windows10 download the tool and follow the instructions to create a bootable USD/DVD or simply upgrade your confuser to the latest version, either keeping data or keeping nothing.

A clean install, if in doubt, is the only real way to go for piece of mind.

As this is for home use by a kid, I would get a cheap W10 Pro license from the internet and change the key after your update/clean install. The key is not as important as the operating system you are using it for.

As an example of the cost of keys, see below. Note the star rating and number of downloads. This is Lazada so delivery will usually be within two days.

w10.jpg.7e4870093eb05c5bbf82c449dd7a5583.jpg

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

Not sure I understand that, this is W10 we are talking about.

Yes you don't understand.

Windows 10 Version 1709 is out of support since April 9, 2019.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Highly recommended to upgrade to 1809 at least.

Currently 1909 is distributed but it has not been offered at my system.

16 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

https://www.microsoft.com/th-th/store/b/windows

฿6,199 Home US$205

฿8,999 Pro US$297

20 dollar more or 200 dollar more?

This is the thing I do not understand.

Genuine licenses from Microsoft for around $200USD, and supposedly genuine licenses from resellers, such as Lazada, for 75 baht.

What am I missing? 

15 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

What am I missing?

I can't comment on the 75 Baht things.

There is ongoing dispute about the legality of certain licenses.

In Germany it is legal by court decision to sell OEM licenses which were originally meant for certain system manufacturers to end users without coupling to a specific hardware.

As I wrote I paid a bit more (12 Euro) to buy from a properly registered company.

As there is no physical goods transfer you can buy everywhere worldwide using credit card (e.g.). License is not bound to language version or the like.

Product is "shipped" by email.

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I can't comment on the 75 Baht things.

There is ongoing dispute about the legality of certain licenses.

In Germany it is legal by court decision to sell OEM licenses which were originally meant for certain system manufacturers to end users without coupling to a specific hardware.

As I wrote I paid a bit more (12 Euro) to buy from a properly registered company.

As there is no physical goods transfer you can buy everywhere worldwide using credit card (e.g.). License is not bound to language version or the like.

Product is "shipped" by email.

I originally thought when Windows 10 was free, people, or businesses, got a lot of free licenses off Microsoft, and when the free Windows 10 offer expired, they started to sell them, but I don't know this for sure.  I think that was only for Windows 10 Home, not Pro.

How can Microsoft be selling Windows 10 licenses at $200USD when there are genuine licenses being sold for a fraction of the price?  Problem is, how to know you are getting a genuine license.

I'm still with Windows 7 but I will be migrating soon.  I have no problem paying 12 Euro, but not too keen on paying $200USD.  Is the German company you purchased your license from still selling? 

41 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

How can Microsoft be selling Windows 10 licenses at $200USD when there are genuine licenses being sold for a fraction of the price?  Problem is, how to know you are getting a genuine license.

Google - What is a Windows 10 OEM product key - to find out why these are cheaper than retail versions.

The Microsoft activation server validates the key and pairs it with information taken from the computer. 

Like everything else, buy from sellers with feedback or decent reputation then if a key fails to activate they will mail you another key.

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Is the German company you purchased your license from still selling? 

OS Trading Company UG, Albstadt, Germany.

Just checked. Yes but now 17.90 Euro.

Website is in German only.

PM me if interested (link).

BTW: they also offer "audit proof" licenses for commercial/educational use.

39.90 Euro.

9 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I originally thought when Windows 10 was free, people, or businesses, got a lot of free licenses off Microsoft, and when the free Windows 10 offer expired, they started to sell them, but I don't know this for sure.  I think that was only for Windows 10 Home, not Pro.

I'm still with Windows 7 but I will be migrating soon.  I have no problem paying 12 Euro, but not too keen on paying $200USD.  Is the German company you purchased your license from still selling? 

If you have genuine activated Windows 7, then you don't need to buy a licence for Windows 10.

On 11/16/2019 at 2:01 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Yes you don't understand.

Windows 10 Version 1709 is out of support since April 9, 2019.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Highly recommended to upgrade to 1809 at least.

Currently 1909 is distributed but it has not been offered at my system.

Got 1909 on my two PCs yesterday, all up and running fine. W10 downloaded from Mr Gates, keys from eBay = £3 each.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:03 AM, tifino said:

this above was all legit, no fake copies, no fake codes or Cracks 

Laptops come with an OEM copy of Windows. If you do a factory reset it will normally reinstall it from the separate partition that contains the install files and it will work with the code on the bottom of the laptop but it generally won't ask for it.

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

If you have genuine activated Windows 7, then you don't need to buy a licence for Windows 10.

unfortunately you do if you want win 10, while they offered a free upgrade to win 10 from win 7 when it was first released that offer is no longer valid and you have to buy a licence if you want to change to win 10. I am also still using a fully registered win 7 but will change to 10 pro when I build my next computer, lap top is already running 10 pro, cost all of $5 on ebay so will do the same for my new pc too. The message I keep getting from MS on my windows now even says you have to buy a win 10 licence when 7 updates expire next year if you want to get their win 10 version with updates

Hi Chrisinth

I have checked the activation using the command prompt.

The reply was '' Volume activation will expire 16/05/2020''

I take it I have until then to obtain a new Windows 10 licenses, or buy a product Key.

Will i have to reload windows, or is it just a case of putting in the new number?

Thanks everyone for their input.

Terry   

1 hour ago, eltel said:

Hi Chrisinth

I have checked the activation using the command prompt.

The reply was '' Volume activation will expire 16/05/2020''

I take it I have until then to obtain a new Windows 10 licenses, or buy a product Key.

Will i have to reload windows, or is it just a case of putting in the new number?

Thanks everyone for their input.

Terry   

The shop who installed the OS probably used an enterprise version of W10, these normally have an activation time of 120/180 days. 

If I were you and you want to know everything (regarding the OS) is OK, download the ISO and make a bootable thumb drive and purchase a cheap key. To be honest, I'm not sure if the key would work over an enterprise or VLK version, perhaps someone could answer that?

In cases where I have found this situation, I will format and do a clean install. Remember, the bootable thumb you create can be used for multiple installs but you will need a new key for each of them.

Archived