Huge cuts in UK State Pensions

Rambo

5 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Think it best not to mention working the system on a UK address as if they twig they can demand it all back. For me peace of mind is all.

I got away with it for 10 months when they found out that i was living abroad, they did not take back the extra money (yearly increase in April) they had paid just put the weekly payments back to what it was when i left which was Dec 2014!

And the opener got away light when he says he getting stopped £40 mine will drop £65!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, gavlar said:

Misread....the payment was ceased in 2010 for anyone new but continued to be paid to those already getting it for a further 10 years (2020)

Thanks for the reply gavlar, so anyone who retired in 2013 would not have been eligible for the extra payment? I thought that was correct but I am told (second hand of course) of somebody who retired earlier this year who receives it.

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

There's a lot more to going dark than using a VPN. Trust me, I'm dark! I've proof tested it. I've even had people on this forum trying to ascertain who I am and where I'm posting from. No chance!

Someone with money to spend can find out who you are. Trust me.

1 hour ago, rott said:

Thanks for the reply gavlar, so anyone who retired in 2013 would not have been eligible for the extra payment? I thought that was correct but I am told (second hand of course) of somebody who retired earlier this year who receives it.

Don't think so...

2 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

I got away with it for 10 months when they found out that i was living abroad, they did not take back the extra money (yearly increase in April) they had paid just put the weekly payments back to what it was when i left which was Dec 2014!

And the opener got away light when he says he getting stopped £40 mine will drop £65!

How did they find out? Even when you live abroad you can be technically resident according to the IR if you have 'ties' to the UK such as bank accounts,   properties,  a home address classified as your primary address even if you rent it out. You do mot have citizenship in Thailand, a proveable permanent address etc etc. Its moot.

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

The point was that it doesn’t apply to you - and it doesn’t..

Comment on what you like - you must be bored to tears back in the UK to need to comment on things that have no relevance to you.

Actually the point was I'm a British OAP and I saw a post that drew my interest as it mentioned people such as myself. So it does apply to me.

In 10 years I've made around 2,300 posts yet you reckon I must be bored to tears.

Say no more!

7 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

You can stick your head in the sand, or a dark orifice, for all I care but I suggest you look at the HMRC 'residency' and other applicable rules about your short time 'visits' to your property etc in the UK.

PS;  Don't ask me to quote/find the rules for you since you seem to think you are above them anyway and so it is your problem to check them out as far as I am concerned.

We are not 'above' anybody. But under the IR rules developed in the last few years to as ascertain residence there are a multitude of variables which define you as UK resident even if you do not always live in the UK.

6 hours ago, Greenhill said:

So, you are admitting fraud on a public forum.    That might not be your cleverest move!!   'Loose talk costs lives', a famous wartime hero once said and in this case, it might be yours!!!!!!    If you're committing fraud probably best to keep it to yourself!!!!

The war time propaganda poster you quote ( not a war time hero) was part of a set of war time posters. One was about your kind of loose talk. 'Spreading alarm and despondency'. I reiterate: IR rules define residency in a number of ways. I complete an SA form every year and explain my full circumstances. Despite living most of the time in Thailand I have sufficient ties to the UK to be classified as resident.

9 hours ago, yogi100 said:

This pensioner is not sitting in the UK. He's in Thailand.

I have ex pat friends in Pattaya and I'm only too aware of recent events that have affected them. I sympathise with them and would not dream of rubbing their or any one's nose in their misfortune.

Hearing about old age pensioners having to go back to nothing in a country they left years ago makes me angry. It's not something that anyone should get satisfaction from.

The days of anyone over 60 being considered vulnerable in England are rapidly vanishing. Especially if he's an Englishman.

There are no Senior Citizens returning to the UK to NOTHING unless they left nothing behind. Their properties,  pensions, investments will all be intact. On return They will receive free medical treatment and welfare benefits having completed the minimal paperwork. PS OAP is no longer used.  The term is senior citizen. They are not vunerable.  They live long, are healthy,  wealthy, own properties and are pensioned up.....They are also tougher,  better educated and more disciplined than the Generation X, The millenials, generation pantywaist etc.....Tttttalking bout my generation!

12 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

There are no Senior Citizens returning to the UK to NOTHING unless they left nothing behind. Their properties,  pensions, investments will all be intact. On return They will receive free medical treatment and welfare benefits having completed the minimal paperwork. PS OAP is no longer used.  The term is senior citizen. They are not vunerable.  They live long, are healthy,  wealthy, own properties and are pensioned up.....They are also tougher,  better educated and more disciplined than the Generation X, The millenials, generation pantywaist etc.....Tttttalking bout my generation!

The problem is many left nothing behind, they burned their bridges.

A fellow I knew returned to the UK with a cancer scare. He'd burned his bridges. He was 67.

He was sent to different hostels each day in London which he had to vacate each morning by 9am He was not allowed admittance again till 8pm that evening. He had to walk the streets each day time or sit in libraries, pubs and cafes.

He was offered no 'free' treatment, no housing nor welfare benefits. He was already in receipt of a state pension which he'd paid in for all his working life.

He went to a hospital and they told him to come back in 10 days time. It was in the middle of winter 2017. He despaired and returned to Pattaya. He slipped off the radar about 3 months later and no one in the UK nor Thailand has seen nor heard from him since. We believe he's now passed away.

23 hours ago, roo860 said:

Do you mean an allowance for a dependant is being cut?

The Adult Dependency Allowance which is paid to some as part of UK State Pension is to be cut from 6th June 2020. In my case this means a cut of the figure mentioned.

23 hours ago, baansgr said:

Where is your wife/dependent living? You could apply for pension credit if you are elegible. Wasn't this first brought in ten years or so ago with next year the final stage.

We live in Thailand. Pension Credit/Universal Credit only available if living in UK

23 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Think you should explain what this means "with the removal of Adult Dependency.".

Adult Dependency Allowance which is paid to some as part of UK State Pension is to be removed from 6th April 2010. Consequently it means cut in amount of Pension paid.

23 hours ago, BobBKK said:

You don't mean a general cut right? I assume you mean just the 'adult dependency' allowance?

The Adult Dependency Allowance will cease from 6th April 2020 and this will reduce overall State Pension payment accordingly.

14 minutes ago, Ajarnbrian said:

The writer is completely wrong to suggest there has been a cut in UK state pensions. It may be that an additional carers allowance has been cut for him, not the same thing. The post is unwarranted scaremongering.

it's a misleading headline and factually inaccurate, there has been no cut, huge or otherwise, in the basic uk state pension.

14 hours ago, yogi100 said:

This pensioner is not sitting in the UK. He's in Thailand.

I have ex pat friends in Pattaya and I'm only too aware of recent events that have affected them. I sympathise with them and would not dream of rubbing their or any one's nose in their misfortune.

Hearing about old age pensioners having to go back to nothing in a country they left years ago makes me angry. It's not something that anyone should get satisfaction from.

The days of anyone over 60 being considered vulnerable in England are rapidly vanishing. Especially if he's an Englishman.

But YOU have posted that you are single and live in the UK....Now come on, make up your mind.....????

Archived