Huge cuts in UK State Pensions

Rambo

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I don't live in Thailand, my Non O proves that fact , I'm just on holiday with my wife.   Mind you, its rather long one, but I do return every 3 or 4 months to the UK for a week or 10 days

Which means you are 'resident abroad' under the UK residency/Tax/Allowance rules and regs.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

They asked for your 'residence' details when you provided your bank and residence details.  This is along with a statement that says if you change your residence you must inform them.

Correct. I gave them an address in the UK. Haven't changed it. I'm just not currently staying there. 555

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This is a very alarmist topic header which, in practice, will only affect a small proportion of the pensionable population.

My sympathies to those who are affected, including the O/P of course. But the basic state pension which most of draw is unaffected. Some info below.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/02/my-state-pension-was-slashed-by-815-a-year-why-thousands-could-face-state-pension-cuts/

Thanks for the link but I dont believe its anything to do with that. The info below is I believe more relevant to the OP @Rambo

Adult Dependency Increase

Adult Dependency Increase is a payment for a partner who is financially dependent on you. You may be getting this as part of your State Pension.

Adult Dependency Increase closed to new applications in 2010.

From 6 April 2020 all payments will stop. If you get Adult Dependency Increase now, you’ll keep getting it until then, as long as you’re eligible.

When payments stop you may be eligible to apply for Pension Credit or Universal Credit.

If you get Adult Dependency Increase for a spouse or anyone else that lives with you, you’ll need to report any change in your circumstances.

Just now, scottiejohn said:

Which means you are 'resident abroad' under the UK residency/Tax/Allowance rules and regs.

rubbish, read the rules on how many days you need to be in the UK to continue to qualify.  Alarmist statements like yours just make life difficult for others.  In any event, my status or otherwise is none of your business. 

5 hours ago, 473geo said:

Could be she has heard of some Thai widow getting a spouse pension from a husbands private pension?

Quite possibly... or the late husband may have given her misleading advice.

A few years ago a local expat died and his widow said he had told her “when I die just go to the British embassy and they will take financial care of you....”.

I p!ssed myself laughing.

She did manage to get the old £2,000 bereavement benefit though.

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Quite possibly... or the late husband may have given her misleading advice.

A few years ago a local expat died and his widow said he had told her “when I die just go to the British embassy and they will take financial care of you....”.

I p!ssed myself laughing.

She did manage to get the old £2,000 bereavement benefit though.

Yes I think there is a one off payment still in place but hoping not to have to look into that for a while - and things change as we know

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So why does she think she is entitled to any money from UK.

Be fair, the UK has for years been known to many as Madhouse Britain when it comes hand outs.

There's little or no point in ex pats or long termers in the LOS getting married now. With all the visa regulations, insurance requirements and the lousy exchange rate it must be time for many Britons to think about calling it a day and heading for home.

1 minute ago, yogi100 said:

Be fair, the UK has for years been known to many as Madhouse Britain when it comes hand outs.

There's little or no point in ex pats or long termers in the LOS getting married now. With all the visa regulations, insurance requirements and the lousy exchange rate it must be time for many Britons to think about calling it a day and heading for home.

Pension wise if you have a private pension where your spouse continues to receive, usually a slightly reduced amount, on your death it is worth getting married

10 minutes ago, gavlar said:

Not sure it has finished..I believe a 1 off payment and possibly a few months of payments depending on dependents still applies 

You could well be correct there is bereavement support available it does appear to include a one off 2500 gbp or 3500 gbp if you have children and futher small monthly payments look like for 18 months but not sure if that applies to widows abroad

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So why does she think she is entitled to any money from UK.

Is U.K. topic …,

but in my E.U. country in any case a widow not re marrying receive a widow pension at the rate as a single (as not anymore a family pension) for the rest of her life , ever bin in E.U. country or not if she older than 45 (not sure the years ..) and legally married, not working ,including entitled child support money .

Younger widows only max. pay for 2 years …. a few years ago changed as before ALL received in case a widow pension for life …..out or in the paying country 

But now they don't grand us a green leaf any more ….only an "oldie "...????

PS: also no freezing pension when living abroad....

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

Is U.K. topic …,

but in my E.U. country in any case a widow not re marrying receive a widow pension at the rate as a single (as not anymore a family pension) for the rest of her life , ever bin in E.U. country or not if she older than 45 (not sure the years ..) and legally married, not working ,including entitled child support money .

Younger widows only max. pay for 2 years …. a few years ago changed as before ALL received in case a widow pension for life …..out or in the paying country 

Just checked...after April 2017 the widow needs to be living in the UK when spouse dies

8 minutes ago, 473geo said:

You could well be correct there is bereavement support available it does appear to include a one off 2500 gbp or 3500 gbp if you have children and futher small monthly payments look like for 18 months but not sure if that applies to widows abroad

Eligibility

You may be able to get Bereavement Support Payment if your husband, wife or civil partner died on or after 6 April 2017.

You could be eligible if your partner either:

• paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks
  • died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work

When they died you must have been:

1 minute ago, gavlar said:

Just checked...after April 2017 the widow needs to be living in the UK when spouse dies

Not a rule in my country , only the age of widow became restricted under reason can find work because young … 2 ears pay anyway and if child(rens..) she becomes anyway the same as the 45+ this became a few years ago ,even many Nord Africans had several wife a and children with money for them , but that gap they closed down as it was a money maker for them 

27 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Eligibility

You may be able to get Bereavement Support Payment if your husband, wife or civil partner died on or after 6 April 2017.

You could be eligible if your partner either:

• paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks
  • died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work

When they died you must have been:

Looks like Thailand is not included in living in 'country that pays bereavement benefits'

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Yes I think there is a one off payment still in place but hoping not to have to look into that for a while - and things change as we know

Unfortunately, it is no longer in place.

Unless your widow will be located in the UK, or reciprocal country) and can claim from there. (A change sneaked in with the Pensions Act).

Move to the Philippines ?

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/bereavement-benefits

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

The reasons you say apply to us whether married or not. Stop whining!

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The reasons you say apply to us whether married or not. Stop whining!

No need to whinge at me because of any mistakes you may have made.

I'm single, live in the UK, get my pension increases and I'm happy with it and that's the way I'm gonna keep things.

10 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

No need to whinge at me because of any mistakes you may have made.

I'm single, live in the UK, get my pension increases and I'm happy with it and that's the way I'm gonna keep things.

Then why the eff are you sticking your two-pen'orth in about living in Thailand.

I have made NO mistakes in my financial dealings or choice of place to live and with whom, and I am happy with it.

And your user name doesn't bear thinking about!   LOL

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Is U.K. topic …,

the UK got all the rubbish rules from the EU, and despite being one of the bigger contributors, we have the lowest pension

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Then why the eff are you sticking your two-pen'orth in about living in Thailand.

I have made NO mistakes in my financial dealings or choice of place to live and with whom, and I am happy with it.

And your user name doesn't bear thinking about!   LOL

As this topic is headed 'huge cuts in UK state pensions' it attracted my attention. I'm from the UK and wanted to see what all the fuss is about.

This is an internet forum and as far as I know one does not have to live in the LOS to join it or post comments. I'll bet there are actually more non ex pats who read this forum than there are falangs who reside in Thailand.

Next time I want to post on Thai Visa I'll run the post by you and get your consent before I submit it. Is that OK with you?

Archived