Ex-pat issues in China - sound familiar?

SteveK

10 hours ago, marf said:

In the above video near the end (I watched the whole thing) there is a Q&A where someone asks what is the best Asian country to retire in, most amenable to allowing foreigners to stay, he actually says Thailand!

Yes! Your neighbour's pasture often looks greener. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, SteveK said:

China has obviously now become very anti-West. I think my main concern in my original post is that this is filtering down to Thailand somehow, which is why this anti-farang sentiment is coming about, and that they are placing all their eggs in the baskets of the Indians and Chinese. There is a lot to take in here, but I would bet my left nut that the changes in immigration policy in Thailand are coming from the Chinese. Think higher up in government. It doesn't take a genius.

Policies are obviously coming from the China mold and I recently heard in a phone conversation with a CEO who is outside this country who deals in risks of electronic currency payments. It is getting worse here and everyone professionally on the outside who has clearance in a particular sector knows it. China is anti any country that steps on their 9 dash line then going to taking over countries like Tibet or even stepping out being behind Taiwan. Retched country China has become. Government is the Devil.   

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

We're all here for the cheap and available slim and attractive women, really no point in denying it, nothing else really matters.

Really not. I like blonde girls. And in more than 20 years here I never touched a hooker. No, even longer. Never in my life. I also can't remember when I have been to a bar the last time. For sure more than 15 years ago. There are also other reasons to live in Thailand... perhaps hard to understand for some ????

27 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Really not. I like blonde girls. And in more than 20 years here I never touched a hooker. No, even longer. Never in my life. I also can't remember when I have been to a bar the last time. For sure more than 15 years ago. There are also other reasons to live in Thailand... perhaps hard to understand for some ????

Agreed. Sad to say I come here for cheap apartment-real food and cheap healthcare..All of which are too dang $$$ in my own dang country..of course I like to see cuties but I certainly aint paying for it..

My saying to the ladies here is I dont pay for sex-I earn it--naturally they dont like this response....

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Policies are obviously coming from the China mold. China is anti any country that steps on their 9 dash line then going to taking over countries like Tibet or even stepping out being behind Taiwan. Retched country China has become. Government is the Devil.   

Communist Dynasty finally achieved supremacy in 1949, after Chinas second period of "Warring States" (corresponding to what the Chinese call "The Century of Humiliation").

It is a Dynasty which retains the fundamental attitudes, regarding the relationship between State and Individual (indigenous, "incorporated" or foreign), that the previous ones did.

Political "tags" are irrelevant, its the underlying, sub-conscious, psychology, that determine those attitudes.

Same applies to Russia, or The West.

All to do with their........."childhoods".

(Chinas finished much earlier than the others)

Politics are just a way to assert those attitudes.

Naturally China has influenced (and will continue to influence) the smaller states around it.

It is a major factor in what made the East "The East".

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

On the other hand, he still has a good looking woman in his bed every night, which he probably wouldn't have managed in his home country. We're all here for the cheap and available slim and attractive women, really no point in denying it, nothing else really matters.

In your opinion!

This is probably some normal cycle.  Open up the country, take in more people to get more money, then get real money from people who don't have to visit (say Apple opening up a manufacturing plant).....learn from the Westerners, then realize they are hurting the culture, and kick them all out.  Hope the fallout isn't too bad, and hopefully they can move on without the foreigners.  America and the Mexicans, Thai and farangs, Chinese and everyone else, and UK and muslims, and it goes on and on and on.....

I don't know why China hates USA soo much after the Americans saved them from the Japanese.  Saved Thailand from the Japanese also, both a little late but better late than never.  Maybe it was too long ago.

Luckily, there will always be a cheap place to go with hot weather.   At least in our lifetime

been there done that, all too familiar to me, arrived there in 2002 and saw the decline on the daily basis, the guy points out some facts and he's being nice because the reality is worse and scary, things started to change when Xi come to power, the hate towards foreigners started around same period due to CCTV news brain washing......decided to move to (at that time) Thailand more friendly foreign oriented, what a mistake it was, Thailand changed as well and it's becoming very similar to China

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

We're all here for the cheap and available slim and attractive women, really no point in denying it, nothing else really matters.

first of all, why would anyone buy and exploit a female who sees thousands of loser farangs before you???  i don't care if it was free, I'm not here to worry about aids or to be the 10,000th guy or to help exploit a human.

if you have any self-respect, you will learn the language, exercise, be successful and have some money, and easily find slim and attractive women everywhere in the world who isn't labeled as "cheap and available."  

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

We're all here for the cheap and available slim and attractive women,

maybe not all....in my case was looking for peace and quiet and not being bothered with all the hassled & discrimination I had in China

6 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

if you have any self-respect, you will learn the language, exercise, be successful and have some money, and easily find slim and attractive women everywhere in the world who isn't labeled as "cheap and available."  

Not a very realistic outlook for a guy in his 60s, unless he's Donald Trump.

16 hours ago, SteveK said:

I would suggest not creating a petition or demonstration as China doesn't have the greatest history in those regards. Best to go somewhere else. Life is for enjoying, not being oppressed. "what's the freakin point of even whining about all this" - maybe that's what the Polish Jews said as they were forced into the gas chambers. Learn to stick up for yourself.

I'm talking about actions in Thailand not China. And if I want to read about conspiracy theories there's lots of bs on the internet to delude myself with. My question was if this idiocy is true and China controls Thailand's immigration policies, are you going to organize a revolt in Thailand over this whine? lol

On 11/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, CharlieH said:

The parallels in this video are really scary ! The guy sums things up very well.

As a student of history, I am not at all surprised that the PRC government outlook would be found attractive to those now controlling Thailand’s government. I have some serious question that the model will also be attractive to some in western oriented nations. Easier for the oligarchy to “govern”. Ironically, I find that the British Imperial outlook in governing their colonies, was much the same. Freedom is anarchy from the Chinese model.

A quote from my reading of “Hong Kong” by Jan Morris.

“The Canadian social psychologist Michael H. Bond, of the Chinese University of Hong Kong, has analyzed their attitudes thus: “Social truth does not arise from the open clash of contending opinions, but is delivered by conscientious leaders after careful consideration of the issues. A grateful citizenry plays its role by repaying the efforts of the leadership with loyalty and acceptance.” Democratic, adversarial politics hardly come readily to such a citizenry. It is a step towards chaos, says a Chinese proverb, when argument begins.”

the probelms he complains about are one The chinese are tearing down derelict quaint towns and replacing them with modern buildings which is what the local inhabitants want. they may look cute but no one really wants to live in a ramshackle, infested building. Second banks no longer give bank accounts to people on tourist visas, They dont in Europe or elsewhere because of money laundering. THe Chinese are anti foreigner  though i have never found this it is hardly surprising that given the way the west vilifies China  and its history of raping and pillaging China then they would be suspicous. I also remember how in Britain foreigners had to report at regular intervals to the police. Many of my friends at University did this,

He complains that they get different prices when even South Africa does the same as do many other countries. he then states that small hotels cannot process foreigners passports as they do not have the means. Mainly they dont have the forms or the inclination to send  or take them to the Police.  I have found this but simply crossed the road to another small  cheap hotel taht did do this,, I never found it a problem but i can understand why given so few foreigners staying there it would not be worth their while taking on the admin.  He complains China has got more expensive which simply means it has gotten richer. yet this is a complaint? I do not know what he would think of Brfitain where  i noticed the prices have really risen. The man seems to have found a profitable niche denigrating China who has given him a good income and a nice wife.  Winston or serpentza is an english teacher who taught doctors english., he is not an IT business man something he  stated he was. Why he tries to hide his profession  is beyond me, He got his money from pandering to the right at first his videos were good and unbiased, a refreshing approach to living in China, then they changed. Take what he says with apinch of salt.

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

Remember China is a communist country, they have always been this bad or worse. At one time you could only stay in government approved hotels.

and they would/could come knock at the door at any time day or night, in 2002 had several visits from IMO/Police around 3 AM

Maybe this new anti western sentiment has been caused by the west. To be more precise, America. They are doing everything they can to bring China down so, as to remain Number 1. It is affecting not just businesses but, the ordinary Chinese people with regards to employment and consumer price increases and so, they are forming negative views about western people particularly American's. Why wouldn't they? 

IMOP America, NOT China needs to realise that there will be NO winner in this economic BS war. 

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

and they would/could come knock at the door at any time day or night, in 2002 had several visits from IMO/Police around 3 AM

and no one will give a <deleted> even if u get kidnapped....nope nope nope happy i don't have to go there anymore.

8 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Ive read this some days ago: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/15/chinese-government-may-have-falsified-organ-donation-numbers-study-says

Not surprised at all, after all it's a cruel communist dictatorship like vietnam, far away from thailand still - let's hope it stays that way.

Vietnam is no way like or no way even near China. Where and the heck did you dream that up?

On 11/16/2019 at 9:29 AM, SteveK said:

China has obviously now become very anti-West. I think my main concern in my original post is that this is filtering down to Thailand somehow, which is why this anti-farang sentiment is coming about, and that they are placing all their eggs in the baskets of the Indians and Chinese. There is a lot to take in here, but I would bet my left nut that the changes in immigration policy in Thailand are coming from the Chinese. Think higher up in government. It doesn't take a genius.

I dont think China has anything to do with crack downs Thailand is doing. The Thai govt started cracking down on things almost 20 years ago and it has never stopped. 

5 hours ago, Expat Brad said:

Maybe this new anti western sentiment has been caused by the west. To be more precise, America. They are doing everything they can to bring China down so, as to remain Number 1. It is affecting not just businesses but, the ordinary Chinese people with regards to employment and consumer price increases and so, they are forming negative views about western people particularly American's. Why wouldn't they? 

IMOP America, NOT China needs to realise that there will be NO winner in this economic BS war. 

The US is not trying to bring down China. The US is trying to get fair trade deals. China and several other countries have high import tariff's on US products therefore causing low us exports causing job loss and factory closure in the USA.  

7 hours ago, zhorik said:

the probelms he complains about are one The chinese are tearing down derelict quaint towns and replacing them with modern buildings which is what the local inhabitants want. they may look cute but no one really wants to live in a ramshackle, infested building. Second banks no longer give bank accounts to people on tourist visas, They dont in Europe or elsewhere because of money laundering. THe Chinese are anti foreigner  though i have never found this it is hardly surprising that given the way the west vilifies China  and its history of raping and pillaging China then they would be suspicous. I also remember how in Britain foreigners had to report at regular intervals to the police. Many of my friends at University did this,

He complains that they get different prices when even South Africa does the same as do many other countries. he then states that small hotels cannot process foreigners passports as they do not have the means. Mainly they dont have the forms or the inclination to send  or take them to the Police.  I have found this but simply crossed the road to another small  cheap hotel taht did do this,, I never found it a problem but i can understand why given so few foreigners staying there it would not be worth their while taking on the admin.  He complains China has got more expensive which simply means it has gotten richer. yet this is a complaint? I do not know what he would think of Brfitain where  i noticed the prices have really risen. The man seems to have found a profitable niche denigrating China who has given him a good income and a nice wife.  Winston or serpentza is an english teacher who taught doctors english., he is not an IT business man something he  stated he was. Why he tries to hide his profession  is beyond me, He got his money from pandering to the right at first his videos were good and unbiased, a refreshing approach to living in China, then they changed. Take what he says with apinch of salt.

Great factual post.

In a nutshell, all his complaints are either based on people coming out of poverty not finding him entertaining anymore or the financial structure being dragged into the 20th century. I was always led to believe that some hotels were just too scruffy to be shown to foreigners and weren't given permits to accommodate them.

As regards his pet problem the price of Tsingtau beer hasn't changed in 10 years. It's just that no-one wants to drink it with him any more.

My kid is an expat teacher in China, now in her third year. She makes large amounts of money, and teachers in a private school for the elite. she is left alone by the government, puts up with all of the hassles of a dictatorship like a VPN, goes wherever she wants and is treated basically like royalty. She's too busy earn-in, learning and traveling to do videos complaining about Chinese people that call her foreign devil when she hits some poop in a hole village.

Archived