Poll: If the baht bus fare was doubled to 20 baht would you ride them any less?

Jingthing

Poll: If the baht bus fare was doubled to 20 baht would you ride them any less?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have seen posts from Bangkok residents stating that in Pattaya we are overpaying compared to the similar options they have. If this is the case, maybe a 100% price increase is unlikely. I say a 2 Baht increase, if any, would be fairest.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Normally businesses push prices up when rising them won't hurt demand. 

So why hasn't the baht bus cooperative raised prices?

Not that I'm complaining. I'm happy to keep paying the 10 baht.

"Like they're way too dim to consider the idea of raising the prices after 10 or 20 years themselves.

Those self sabotaging farangatans spreading such dangerous ideas! The nerve."

Problem is that the poll functions as "Market Research".

ie. If 99% say they would stop riding then one might feel reasonably confident that BB prices will remain "stable" for the moment (if one thought the results were being monitored by "those concerned").

I will leave it to you to work what might transpire if, on the other hand, percentages show............(etc).

This perhaps applies to other polls gauging opinions about what might "get worse".

Polls which show an overall expectation that a particular "issue" will get worse may lead to "observers" thinking that the respondents were already resigned to it.

Don't see any problem with raising the price to 20 baht. If I ride just a short way I give 10 baht (maybbe 15) If I take a long route say Harbour Mall (on Sukumvit Rd.) all the way to Naklua or near Walking Street to Naklua I give 15--20 baht especially if there were few passengers on the ride. That's just me.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Usually people that complain about too many buses don't actually ride them. Of course the too many empty buses that are hustling for charters and won't act as a bus are definitely very annoying to riders.

i don't ride them, my complaint is almost driving into the back of them when they decide to stop without warning or when they're blocking roads coz they stop in retard locations.

Hate them!

I can't believe that the price is the same as when I first came here in the early 2000's I used to use them all the time, cheap & relatively convenient, I used to travel from Jomtien to WS or in latter years from the top of Lake Mab Prachan into town via the Sukhamvit Rd, now I am retired here and have a car so drive myself, but to answer your question, if the basic price went up to 20 Baht I would still use them if the need arose. 

6 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Too many baht buses in Pattaya early in the day/afternoon.  See so many empty driving on side streets, or parked somewhere along second road. 

Night time different story, many are full and make money.  Still too many IMO, especially those that just double park or cruise the streets looking for a "taxi fare'.  Not doing what they were designed for, have decided to just sit and wait or cruise empty until they get a 100-200 baht "fare" from a family or small group to take them directly to their destination (as a taxi would)  Also, driver is many times not the guy/girl on the taxi licence photo. 

Motorcycle taxi "stands" block street corners, drink at night, and are not dispersed well either. 

Think they give their orange vest to any friend who seems sober enough to drive you. 

I saw a small Honda Zoomer type bike with an old frail thai driver who had 2 indians on it and it was definitely an accident waiting to happen. 

Who on earth looks at the drivers photo in a baht bus? I don't even know if they have them as I've never bothered to look.

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I suppose some people that depend on the baht buses as their main form of transportation may be nudged into buying a motorbike due to a fare increase. But 10 to 20, I don't think very many.

Personally I would draw the line at 50 baht. When I lived in Jomtien I had some days 4-5 rides, or up to 50 baht per day. So double that would be close to 100 baht. Still acceptable.  But had they charged me 50 baht every time I would buy my own bike.  

There does seem to be pressure mounting for 20 baht.  Had a baht bus guy yell at me on the Sukhumvit baht bus (the white ones) for only paying 10 baht not too long ago.  I also get them trying to get 20 baht out of me sometimes when coming or going to Jomtien on longer end to end trips.  I think they are regularly getting it from the more clueless tourists when push comes to shove so they seem to be doing that more.  I don't really see it as being greedy considering inflation.   But it can add up if you use them a lot.  So it would be a hit to most peoples budgets.  

I think the 2nd road beach road circular route should probably stay 10 baht but some of the longer routes like Jomtien to Pattaya would make more sense to make 20 baht.

I know I'm a little late to the party here, and I assume it's been mentioned, but wouldn't an increase to 15 baht make more sense than suddenly doubling it? When it went from 5 baht to 10, doubling made sense rather than dealing with 1-baht coins, but adding another 5 baht to the price in this case seems more reasonable and with very little extra hassle. 

20 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

20 baht, in some ways, would be better for me. I hate loose change in my pockets and never have a 10 baht coin. Always carry plenty of 20 baht notes.

I keep notes in my wallet, coins in pocket.... would much rather not be messing getting the wallet out on a baht bus. Pick-pocket teams utilize them. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I keep notes in my wallet, coins in pocket.... would much rather not be messing getting the wallet out on a baht bus. Pick-pocket teams utilize them. 

Coins are the most stupid invention man ever made. I hate them. Been to a few countries that don't have them....bliss. Main reason I love Cambodia.

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Coins are the most stupid invention man ever made. I hate them. Been to a few countries that don't have them....bliss. Main reason I love Cambodia.

I disagree, paper money is useless, gets wet and tears! The reason many countries do not have them is inflation made them redundant!

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

There does seem to be pressure mounting for 20 baht.  Had a baht bus guy yell at me on the Sukhumvit baht bus (the white ones) for only paying 10 baht not too long ago.  I also get them trying to get 20 baht out of me sometimes when coming or going to Jomtien on longer end to end trips.  I think they are regularly getting it from the more clueless tourists when push comes to shove so they seem to be doing that more.  I don't really see it as being greedy considering inflation.   But it can add up if you use them a lot.  So it would be a hit to most peoples budgets.  

I think the 2nd road beach road circular route should probably stay 10 baht but some of the longer routes like Jomtien to Pattaya would make more sense to make 20 baht.

I still keep the old pay system on the Jomtien route , from the Pattaya school crossing further up I ad another 10 baht , so from far Jomtien up to their end line = 2x 10 baht as it is really a far ride , be honest guy's

Same I do on Sukhumvit rd. Tesco lotus up to Naklua (or Index location )20 baht , they are worth their money ….if they keep their complete route and not divert before to a return by Beach rd. !!

43 minutes ago, david555 said:

I still keep the old pay system on the Jomtien route , from the Pattaya school crossing further up I ad another 10 baht , so from far Jomtien up to their end line = 2x 10 baht as it is really a far ride , be honest guy's

Same I do on Sukhumvit rd. Tesco lotus up to Naklua (or Index location )20 baht , they are worth their money ….if they keep their complete route and not divert before to a return by Beach rd. !!

The government did a lot to reduce these increased fares. I think it is not very helpful to ignore this and to support the opposite behavior again. 

Long time the fare was 5 Baht and got increased several years ago to 10 Baht. Now several posters here say that they wouldn't have a problem if they increase it to 20 Baht. But you have to see that many locals have to use the Baht busses too and for them such an increase could have a bigger impact. So best would be to keep 10 Baht for locals and charge 20 or more Baht for people looking like foreigners. Not really...

Also the POWERS THAT BE.....HATE ......the baht buses......They would like nothing more than to get rid of them all......

THE POWERS THAT BE......HATE for people to have ULTRA CHEAP transportation......But they HATE the baht buses more.......

If the baht bus fares were 20 baht it would make the baht buses stronger and this can not be allowed to happen in their eyes...So the baht bus fare WILL NOT be going up any time soon.....You can take this to the bank.....

3 hours ago, david555 said:

The fare from Jomtien is 10 baht, not 20 baht, as far as Pattaya North road. If you want to TIP, up to you. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The fare from Jomtien is 10 baht, not 20 baht, as far as Pattaya North road. If you want to TIP, up to you. 

Fair enough , it was 10 years ago an understanding so, maybe you where not in Pattaya yet ?? ????

I have an unfrozen pension already more than 10 years....so I favor them drivers a little too.....as it is a real long ride ,but i can understand your position too .

Besides i don't see it as a tip .., just a fair pay for a real long ride , must be because I come from communist's Europe as some Brits call it …..5555

19 minutes ago, david555 said:

Fair enough , it was 10 years ago an understanding so, maybe you where not in Pattaya yet ?? ????

I have an unfrozen pension already more than 10 years....so I favor them drivers a little too.....as it is a real long ride ,but i can understand your position too .

Besides i don't see it as a tip .., just a fair pay for a real long ride , must be because I come from communist's Europe as some Brits call it …..5555

I've lived here well over 10 years riding the buses the entire time. 

Archived