Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

:cheesy::cheesy: ;

It is over this time when we regularly saw passing in the villages a pickup with cages in which there were the dogs they found on the road or those given by the villagers against a plastic bucket ...:wacko:

The slaughterhouse was in Tharee, a small town or rather large village on route 22 between Sakon Nakhon and Nakon Phanom;
Tharee also has a magnificent Catholic cathedral.

P1150088_Rd_22_Tharee.thumb.JPG.071d72de9e8441adb333f5e7ce887986.JPG

Dog meat and Catholic cathedral in Thailand immediately remind us of Vietnamese, certainly from the south, who left their country at the time of reunification in 1975.
Besides the province of Sakon Nakhon is home to very many Thai people of Vietnamese origin,
The small town of Phangkhon between Sawang Daen Din and Sakon Nakhon is almost exclusively made up of Thai people of Vietnamese origin.
Very dynamic and very rich city which should ask for independence as those who live and work there are hardworking and open to the world.

What kind of car we can find in Phangkhon 

2096517092_P7040627_Phangkhon(Copy).thumb.JPG.3ceb99778cd72983c56ae3f3dfd107bb.JPG

It was only a couple of days ago that I was brewing up some reishi on a stove that I swapped for a big dog some 10 years ago. It's still in good condition.

I do think about that time and hope 'Butch' got through the ordeal without too much in the way of bad feelings towards me, as it was next door's dog.

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2020 at 11:23 PM, chickenslegs said:

That "spirit" probably has a Toyota engine and gearbox in it now.

The next time I go to Phangkhon, I will politely ask that the august hood of this beautiful automobile be lifted for me

I'm sure there is an RR engine inside.

It was in the Mercedes and it’s been a long time ago,  since Thai people put Toyota engines

57 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

The next time I go to Phangkhon, I will politely ask that the august hood of this beautiful automobile be lifted for me

I'm sure there is an RR engine inside.

It was in the Mercedes and it’s been a long time ago,  since Thai people put Toyota engines

Just a joke.

But I agree that it is a beautiful piece of British engineering.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Went to Udon yesterday. Had to pick up my 90 day and sort out my computer problems.

Report was a formality. In and out in a couple of minutes. I usually go to the Chinese quarter when I go to town but gave it a miss this time.

Then it was off to the computer centre at Landmark. For anyone not familiar with Udon, it's the big building on the main through road painted up in black and white. Couldn't do anything with my smoked Asus so it was a new one.  An Inspire 3 caught my eye, but they wouldn't give me on never-never so I paid 5k down and hope to pick it up in a couple of weeks when I get a bit of dosh (4k more to pay).

Off to Tesco for a bit of shopping and some grub. Saw the same laptop that I had just bought for 1k more,  so not too unhappy. Masks, yes masks! Virtually no-one was wearing them.  About one person in 100 at best. 

The river on the 2022 is so low that the walking bridge is resting on the river bed. And, there is no guarantee that the 2020 wet season will be any better that the last two years. 

Burnt two of the farms last week. Will get the tractor on the 30 rai when (if) the rain arrives! Need to put a deposit down for the yuka trees too. 

The two kittens are doing well,  but the ducks are no more.

Mildred's foot seems to have improved and there is no sign of a limp.  She is on holiday from school until Monday next, so I'll keep an eye open for problems on Sunday evening. 

Something spooked some buffalo that live just 4 houses away. Once they get on a trot there's not much will stop them. (Did someone forget to tether them?!) The owners got them back from 3 kilometers away. No one was hurt and no reported damage, fortunately. And who found them and brought them back? A 10 year old girl!!!!

No more news of the elephant show that is doing the rounds.

That's it for now guys. No pics at the mo', but hopefully soon. 

enjoy reading your real life escapades

Masks, yes masks! Virtually no-one was wearing them.  About one person in 100 at best. 

i guess people are, at last, heeding medical advice as the the efficacy of face masks in preventing infection

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/51243881

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i guess people are, at last, heeding medical advice as the the efficacy of face masks in preventing infection

You should also know that the city of Udon Thani is mostly populated by cultured Thai people from China and Vietnam.
I know some interiors of opulent houses where the portrait of uncle Ho is in very good place;
and in the houses of many lacquered pieces of furniture;
who says cultured people says what you just wrote

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Commercially Udon is suffering, as is most of Isaan, especially in the villages. To the north of the city there are whole blocks of business closed.

There is little money to speak of. Last year's harvests were a disaster and the surplus that many farmers traditionally rely on for investment, business, or to pay off the bank, just didn't materialise.

In our village there is a lopsided age range. Lots of kids, and lots of elderly. Anyone that can work has left. They come back for the festivities but are soon off. But it seems different this time. The guys have had to go further afield, but even some who ventured to BKK have lost their work. The girls are not sending the money home as before and I've heard stories of some being locked up trying to get into Sth. Korea.

I have offered to look after the DinL's three year old for free. Yes,,, the same DinL that stole so much from us. That, at least, would help her and hubby (!) get on their feet. Mrs Owl doesn't like the idea though, and for the present it's on ice.

Yes, money does seem very tight in Udon, but there are a lot of new houses being built, & I don't understand where the money will come from to buy them.

As for the Nirvana Beyond by Nong Prajak with the houses at 25M baht - 60Million, it's all a bit odd. However, I walk past there very often, & they don't appear to be selling.

https://www.nirvanadaii.com/th/project/Nirvana-BEYOND-อุดรธานี

Any thoughts on what's going on with the housing market in Udon?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The girls are not sending the money home as before and I've heard stories of some being locked up trying to get into Sth. Korea.

My niece tried that last week, arrived in Korea on a Thursday, and immigration put her on the return flight on Friday.

She said she was locked in a room with 30 other Thai girls, flight back was 5kbht.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Well fancy being awkward and wanting to turn left or right at that junction!

Straight over the ling load flyover or risking the depths of the underpass going straight on along the Nong Khai Road is much easier for the road planning department.

I think I can claim to be the first person to cycle over the flyover - a month or so before it was opened. The contractors were putting final touches to it when I deliberately cycled through a small gap in the barriers.

Most of the contractors just stared at the obviously crazy ferang. I heard one shouting, "No, no, no!", but I just ignored him and ploughed on regardless.

I cycle over it regularly now as part of my complete ling load cycling trip.

I see there's no restriction on any type of traffic from using the flyover.

However, the underpass has a sign prohibiting bicycles, motorcycles and samlors. The underpass has at least one CCTV camera in the roof. (Wonder if it has a high IP rating for when the underpass floods for the first time perhaps August onwards?)

Sounds like a challenge!

Plod will have gone home well before 6pm. I thought if I swap my bicycle helmet for a motorbike helmet with a dark visor to avoiding my hansum face being recognised, I'm sure I can add it to my cycling conquests.

I'm thinking it will get extremely congested at songran.

120 seconds to keep straight on is a fair while for an inpatient Thai driver. Perhaps they will change that after the trial period.

I'm informed that the funding for the flyover arrived via a USA initive. Let's hope all goes well. Keep us informed bluesofa as you are a regular user. 

Edited by owl sees all

19 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm thinking it will get extremely congested at songran.

120 seconds to keep straight on is a fair while for an inpatient Thai driver. Perhaps they will change that after the trial period.

I'm informed that the funding for the flyover Cam via a USA initive. Let's hope all goes well. Keep us informed bluesofa as you are a regular user. 

Yeah, 120 seconds to go straight on - some other junctions on the ling load are 150 seconds.

If you're going straight on, then you'd be better off using the flyover for ling load straight on or the underpass for Nong Khai Road straight on, that's the point (unless you were on a motorbike for the second one).

I live 3km from the ling load, so it's 35km from my house round the ling load and back, takes me 1hr 25min. I've done two laps of the ling load in succession, that works out to 61km and 2hr 40min.

In December I cycled to Nong Khai and back - 118km in 5hr 4min. Only the second time I've done that, bloody hard work.

You seem know more than me about where the dosh came from for the work, so tell us about this US initiative.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Yeah, 120 seconds to go straight on - some other junctions on the ling load are 150 seconds.

If you're going straight on, then you'd be better off using the flyover for ling load straight on or the underpass for Nong Khai Road straight on, that's the point (unless you were on a motorbike for the second one).

I live 3km from the ling load, so it's 35km from my house round the ling load and back, takes me 1hr 25min. I've done two laps of the ling load in succession, that works out to 61km and 2hr 40min.

In December I cycled to Nong Khai and back - 118km in 5hr 4min. Only the second time I've done that, bloody hard work.

You seem know more than me about where the dosh came from for the work, so tell us about this US initiative.

That's a serious bit of bike riding bluesofa. I take my hat off to you. Until a month ago I was riding every other day, but fell ill for a while. Much better now and I will start regular rides from next week.

I might have seen you a couple of months back on the road at the back of the agricultural university. I was going to the koi carp farm.

The US has an affinity with some areas in Udon, under the umbrella of mutual development. It was called a cultural grant until ChaCha came in then it was stopped. Started up under a different name.  The grant also renewed a long section of the 2022 (near the dark site).

When I go to Udon I use the road that exits next to DoHome on the main Udon - Nong Khai motorway (H2). It's my favorite road.  So many interesting things to see and hardly any vehicles in 25 km.

At the farm we are having trouble with both dogs and chickens. The chickens get into Mrs Owl's garden and dig up her chillies.

Picked up four concrete rings yesterday from Ban Dung.  These are for the lime trees.  Today I am going to fill 30 sacks with worm casts from farm 2 to fill them.

I bought 6 lovely Kois at the big market on the 4th January. Been kept in quarantine for a month. Let them go into pond 5 yesterday. Might see them in a week or so.

Mildred wants her telephone so that's it for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2020 at 7:46 PM, bluesofa said:

Before, but it was in ancient times, when I met sometimes  Conan,

I sometimes went back and forth from my village in Sakon province  to Udon Thani;

I liked to eat at the self service restaurant which was sold I think at least a year ago.
this restaurant was almost on the corner of Pho Si Rd and Sai Uthit Rd, the shopping street that leads to Central Plaza from Pho Si rd.
It was about 150 km during the day, on a four lane road with a lot of traffic; not really what i like the most.
but there, the years pass; when I manage to do 80/90 km in the day, I am happy.
I hope that one day we will have the opportunity to meet and why not do a bit of cycling together.
the road to Nong Khai..

When we are in a car we don't realize it at all; but on a bicycle, it rises almost flat all the time with  often a strong headwind ..
On the other hand, the return is pleasant, especially if you can find shelter behind an overloaded truck (there are very many) with a small engine; we cycle  from relative wind; we know that we have better brakes than them; you can cycle  50/60 km/h  without fatigue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of cycling there  Assure and Bluesofa. 

Restrict my riding to local roads now or dirt paths. 

The lads renting the oil palm farms started their vitamin programme today. Very interesting as it's absolutely bone dry.  They spent a few days puncturing the ground with lots of holes.  Seems strange to me, but I'm just an observer.

A lot of people in this area have coughs and colds. I'm not coughing at all but must have sneezed 200 times yesterday. Have to make sure I have plenty of reishi brewed. 

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

"Mildred". How did you come up with that nickname?

I think you and I are of the same generation, and the only "Mildred" that springs to mind is Yootha Joyce?

(poor old George, always downtrodden).

I did not know this Mildred;
of my parents' generation ... my father and my mother were born in 1923.
And it made me want to know more;
so I found a Ste Mildred

" Saint Mildrith (Old English: Mildþrȳð; floruit 694–716x733), also Mildthryth, Mildryth or Mildred, was an 8th-century Anglo-Saxon abbess of the Abbey at Minster-in-Thanet, Kent. She was declared a saint after her death, and later her remains were moved to Canterbury."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildrith

I'm like Owl, I don't sneeze but I cough;
no fever, no respiratory problems, so it's not the corona-thing-thing. :crazy:

In any case, there are no Chinese on holidays ; they do not even know that Isaan exists, and so much the better!
This is certainly due to the sudden temperature changes these past few mornings; we went from 16 * C to 22 * C then 26 * C and now we're back down to 20 * C; as I am fragile of the throat (fortunately I do not smoke!), plus the pollution of the fires of sugar cane fields .. Bingo, a big cold;
and yes, with 36 to 39 * C in the afternoon, we forget to cover ourselves in the morning ...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I did not know this Mildred;
of my parents' generation ... my father and my mother were born in 1923.
And it made me want to know more;
so I found a Ste Mildred

" Saint Mildrith (Old English: Mildþrȳð; floruit 694–716x733), also Mildthryth, Mildryth or Mildred, was an 8th-century Anglo-Saxon abbess of the Abbey at Minster-in-Thanet, Kent. She was declared a saint after her death, and later her remains were moved to Canterbury."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildrith

I'm like Owl, I don't sneeze but I cough;
no fever, no respiratory problems, so it's not the corona-thing-thing. :crazy:

In any case, there are no Chinese on holidays ; they do not even know that Isaan exists, and so much the better!
This is certainly due to the sudden temperature changes these past few mornings; we went from 16 * C to 22 * C then 26 * C and now we're back down to 20 * C; as I am fragile of the throat (fortunately I do not smoke!), plus the pollution of the fires of sugar cane fields .. Bingo, a big cold;
and yes, with 36 to 39 * C in the afternoon, we forget to cover ourselves in the morning ...

I wonder what miracle Saint Mildrith performed to gain her sainthood? I was under the impression this was how it worked?

Is it likely Mildred of Nong Khai might perform any miracles, or is it likely she may have to make do with an OBE for services to mobile phone usage?

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Like 1

I'll bring Owl's post up on the first page.
A few days ago I was with a farang who has a big farm near Sawang Daen Din.
He already has two reservoirs to store water and was in the process of digging a third which, when finished, could contain about 5,000 m3 of water; enough to see coming in case of drought ...

I don't know if it gets rolled in flour; he told me he paid the Mako ( the Cat )  18,000 baht per day;
I find this price high; What do you think ?

P1090103_ban_Pouey.thumb.JPG.50cffb57c94f22f9d55796b30d25b6ec.JPG

P1090108_ban_Pouey.thumb.JPG.1fde6762b86a00c519d322000ed72889.JPG

19 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I'll bring Owl's post up on the first page.
A few days ago I was with a farang who has a big farm near Sawang Daen Din.
He already has two reservoirs to store water and was in the process of digging a third which, when finished, could contain about 5,000 m3 of water; enough to see coming in case of drought ...

I don't know if it gets rolled in flour; he told me he paid the Mako ( the Cat )  18,000 baht per day;
I find this price high; What do you think ?

P1090103_ban_Pouey.thumb.JPG.50cffb57c94f22f9d55796b30d25b6ec.JPG

P1090108_ban_Pouey.thumb.JPG.1fde6762b86a00c519d322000ed72889.JPG

I just asked my wife if she had any idea. She's rented the smaller version and paid 4,500 Baht per day, but didn't know if 18,000 was expensive or not for the one in the photo.

I'm sure someone will post a reply with a price soon.

• Thanks 1