Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

When I first came to live in our village there was a guy named 'Patong' who helped us a lot building up the farm. He was a bit of a drinker though, and many kept their distance. But what a worker!

One day at the farm he told Mrs Owl that he had done bad things in his life and kept thinking about them. He said to her that he was going to become a monk. Well he did, for two years. Then just as suddenly he left the temple, and was monk nomore.

He mrried a girl from Khon Kaen a few weeks later. They would visit me when they were local. I've not seen him for about 6 months.

For Patong, the temple was his way of getting his head straight. Sometimes we need to get our heads straight.

Yep. And there is nothing wrong with that. But don't expect me to bow down to him or any others, just because of their robes. I will pronam them. Just like I would most Thais. But a deep bow is reserved for those I truly respect. I see way too much deference to "the robe" here. 

Edited by spidermike007

10 hours ago, Enoon said:

The usual delusion that in a dystopian future there will still be sufficient "amenity" to give the "former city dwellers" the ability to "roam the country" and achieve "supremacy".

What do they roam the country with?

Motorcycles and cars?.......where do they get the fuel from?

Does it come from fuel pumps that run on........electricity.

Do they distill it themselves?

Do they keep generating electricity.?

Do the "city dwellers" happen to be petro-chemical/electrical engineers and have the skills and technology to do that?

Do they maintain oil refineries?

Does this chaotic world still maintain the division of labour required to do that?

You are visualising the Hollywood version of such a future, all neatly packaged to create a familiar narrative, but totally neglecting the absence of the myriad "connections" required to sustain it.

Your "city dweller" will be easy meat for those who know how to live off the land, make and use hand weapons, and organise ambushes.

When it falls apart......it all falls apart.

"All" can never fall apart. (a total standstill of everything). Somehow "life will go on". It's just that poor folks will suffer the most. A person that can pay 50$ for a litre of fuel will still be able to cruise around in the countryside and pay 10$ for a bowl of rice. In other words: With enough money, most things will still be available.
An other aspect: What will still be accepted as "money"? Probably not "paper-money" anymore.
But that's another can of worms and I don't want to Hijack "owls" thread.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

i spent some time living and working in mongolia, it struck me that if the modern world ceased to exist many of the mongolian people would just carry on completely unhindered.

and i'm sure the same would apply to the population of other less developed countries

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

i spent some time living and working in mongolia, it struck me that if the modern world ceased to exist many of the mongolian people would just carry on completely unhindered.

and i'm sure the same would apply to the population of other less developed countries

Fully agree. But hard to re-locate the populace of New York, Singapore, Tokio, Shanghai etc etc to less developed countries/aereas.
Long-term Farangs in Thailand are at an advantage: They know that "Bugs" are edible and absolutely delicious.:smile:

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks for that bro'. I have moved the router away fron the wall and the signal has improved a little. Got a speed of 32m (down) in the week. There are three of us on the system at times. I'll invetigate some more.

Very nice of you to say.

I'm no photographer. The Minolta dimage that i'm using has a dozen settings. I only use two; still (on automatic) and video. It has a x 40 zoom, and that's useful.

When I'm taking a shot I only really look at the light (sometimes I like to shoot into the sun a little but with the camera out of the sun; if that make sense). And I try to hold the camera very still; especially when on zoom.

Can't give any tips. Don't know any.

Cameras now are so intelligent anyone can take good photos.

I use a little digital happy snappy Sony that I bought years ago, about when they got good enough to replace film.

Never use any setting other than auto.

My photo count went from few, special photos ( too expensive to take too many photos on film/ paper, to thousands about almost everything I saw.

I still have loads of photo albums from film days, but slowly putting them all onto digital.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I agree with some of what you said. Having land and the ability to grow food will be huge if and when things collapse. At a minimum I am expecting a monster correction to take place. But, people are sheep like. Most will stay in the big cities and suffer. Few will venture out into the provinces in search of rice or food. Some. But few. And when they do we will be ready for them. Ever seen First Blood?

Most will stay in the big cities and suffer.

Methinks they will stay in the city and die. Soon as the food trucks stop rolling in ( and any that do will be hijacked ) all will starve.

Once the pumps stop the water stops.

Even if they could get out of the city, where would they go, where would they stay? The ones that survive will have friends/ family with rural property, if they have enough weapons and prepared to use them.

No doubt the rich are aware and have plans for evacuation by helicopter to a safe haven with "security" to guard them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the thread, Mr Owl.

You describe a life I would have loved. I always wanted to be a farmer, but no money in it in NZ unless the land owner.

I didn't mind the village and could have made a go of growing my own food, but the atrocious nephews living with granny ruined it and I had to go back to the city.

My friend the farmer has a stressful life with the mountain of paperwork the government has imposed on farmers. It used to be a satisfying life, but not so much now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Enoon said:

The usual delusion that in a dystopian future there will still be sufficient "amenity" to give the "former city dwellers" the ability to "roam the country" and achieve "supremacy".

What do they roam the country with?

Motorcycles and cars?.......where do they get the fuel from?

Does it come from fuel pumps that run on........electricity.

Do they distill it themselves?

Do they keep generating electricity.?

Do the "city dwellers" happen to be petro-chemical/electrical engineers and have the skills and technology to do that?

Do they maintain oil refineries?

Does this chaotic world still maintain the division of labour required to do that?

You are visualising the Hollywood version of such a future, all neatly packaged to create a familiar narrative, but totally neglecting the absence of the myriad "connections" required to sustain it.

Your "city dweller" will be easy meat for those who know how to live off the land, make and use hand weapons, and organise ambushes.

When it falls apart......it all falls apart.

Imagine the Walking Dead without the zombies.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log: 24-12-2019: Tuesday afternoon.

The last entry before Christmas day.

It's interesting to see how the peoples of different countries celebrate Christmas. I spent Christmas day in Laos a couple of years back; very quiet. In Jamaica it was loud music (extremely loud), and 'break out the rum time'. Spain was joyful and slightly religious. Same with Nigeria, where I worked some years ago during the festive season. Wales was the same as England; lots of glitz, unnecessary spending and boozing.

The 'chicken gala' (for want of a better phrase) took place near Phibun Rak (Udon Thani Province), about 50 kilometers from out village. The guy near us took his chickens away on Sunday morning at dawn and came back after dark. Don't know what happened to the chickens. I prompted Mrs Owl to ask some questions, but she declined.

+++++++++++

The avocados are doing OK. The smaller plant had its leaves turn brown so I put both on our wall to get maximum sun and they are prospering.

avos.jpg.c007b8c49672a416133547839c1a6bcd.jpg

Can't say the same about the mangoes though. Just a disaster. I think I loved them to death. After a promising early start they have deteriorated alarmingly. Had a word with a bar-girl (friend), who suggested that the cold spell did the nasty on them. Might be true that. I'll try the same system again; when I get some mangoes.

1483682942_mangoes(3).thumb.JPG.72d0308a4b52b2fc3917bc9bd7fef44a.JPG

mango-to-go.jpg.65454f04cc9ff167652c23bf18f140bc.jpg

+++++++++++

Mildred back to school yesterday. No problem with her eye.

Not been out and about on the Carrera recently. Must do a couple of 20k rides soon; maybe Boxing Day!

Charkie, the cat, is about a week away from having kittens. Have to get a home ready for her.

805170525_chankiecat.thumb.JPG.f91afcd69d3188858e8e2e1f6e6e5d02.JPG

+++++++++++

The ducks are now at the farm. Just six left out of the original 15. Not great that! Milly and Wow have been catching shrimps and hand feeding them. Very cute! I'll do a 10 second vid' for next post.

1801043223_duckies(2).thumb.JPG.1add05fb3b94dc9787e22b475388b24e.JPG

duckies.jpg.07f321dfe98632306a6fc1fb5b80d504.jpg

+++++++++++

Interesting thought struck me while writing this entry. Why are some nouns, that end in a 'o' as in tomato, buffalo and mango, have a plural with an 'es', while avocado just has an 's'? And, Mildred, a couple of months ago asked me why a refrigerator Gains a 'd' in fridge. I blame the French, or the IItalians.

Gonna investigate this stuff over Christmas, and finish my Shaun Attwood book. I do wish I'd paid attention at school, instead of day-dreaming about fishing at Hainault, The Chase and Berwick ponds (Essex).

+++++++++++

Making up an extra large batch of reishi wine today. I'm thinking 10 litres. That might see me through to the New Year.

As I'm getting to understand cooking more, I'm adding in different ingredients. This time there is reishi, onion, lime, ginger and ginseng. I've tried chilies and garlic but they don't  blend so well with the Lao Khow, and render the wine a 'blow your head off' drink. The ginseng is a lovely drink on a hot day. A bottle of cold soda, ginseng and a slice of lime.

gingseng.thumb.JPG.bfec97ba44df4081c7bf5398509bfa2a.JPG

950218234_reishiingrediends.thumb.JPG.1416dc688e49d52460d26a114c7bf607.JPG

+++++++++++

Bye y'all. Happy Christmas everyone. And for those that are non-participants in the festive celebrations and ceremonies; happy 25/12/2019 anyway.

+++++++++++

Look at the state of thet roof!!?? Where's the paint Mrs Owl? And you'll need a new brush.

avos.jpg

the avocado's look as though they are doing well! I heard they can be a pain in the butt to grow well. Something I wish to attempt to grow in the future.

I love the thread and your writing style, I always enjoy reading about your adventures. I feel many are similar to mine as I live in a pretty hum drum part of the country but always seem to find something to pique my interest in a new way.

cheers and happy holidays to you and the family!

• Like 2

On 12/22/2019 at 12:32 PM, faraday said:

On 12/22/2019 at 12:32 PM, faraday said:

Haven't read Shaun's book, but I watch his podcasts on yt regularly. The Sonia Poulton one, was very interesting.

Enjoying your thread Mr Owl. ????

Thanks for the link.

On your say so, I watched both Shaun's interview with Sonia Poulton, and her documentary on the same subject. And to think it's still going on!! Business as usual for this scum.

I think your interests in governments doing bad stuff are similar to mine. Had a few posts taken down on TVF when talking about governments and their shenanigans. So have to post with some care.

If you haven't read the outrageous Ian Puddick story, please do. A sinister tale about the power of the City of London. Also worth a visit is 'operation Countryman' on YT. Absolutely shocking!

A film; "'The Strange Death of Dr. David Kelly" is surfacing very soon. It's going to be pretty explosive I've heard. Looking forward to seeing it.

One problem, for me and many, is that one can get so immersed in these wrong-doings, it can drown you.

Have to have a nice life in Isaan after all.

Any risky stuff faraday please use PMing.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

A film; "'The Strange Death of Dr. David Kelly" is surfacing very soon. It's going to be pretty explosive I've heard. Looking forward to seeing it.

Lots of unanswered questions about that. There were loads of docos about him at the time. His death was obviously dodgy.

16 hours ago, owl sees all said:

It's interesting to see how the peoples of different countries celebrate Christmas.

In the small country town I live in in NZ one would not know it was Christmas. Not a single decoration put up by the council and few shops bothered.

Most shops closed today, and few cars on the road. I suppose most people eating too much and drinking to much at home or with friends.

Tomorrow it'll be sales frenzy, so good time to stay off the roads.

Problem with big holiday like this is townies can't drive properly in the country, but want to go visit granny in another town, so many families will be mourning. I see the maniacs all the time as I drive in the country a lot. Should be safe today though, as few out driving.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 1:37 PM, owl sees all said:

Who has access to water.

Water is the only thing essential to our life on earth; the rest is totally useless; gold, cryptocurrencies, solar panels cannot be eaten.

Those who will survive will be people who know how to cultivate food and who also know how and where to drill the soil to obtain drinking water.

The billionaires .... billionaire in what? in money that will no longer be useful .... they can continue to admire in silence until their death the works of art they stole from the public.

On 12/18/2019 at 3:56 PM, bannork said:

It's interesting that the road (Bandung- Phen) widens considerably just before the VOA, as if to act as a runway if necessary.

I love Bandung, btw. A perfect size small town. Got a hospital, some restaurants, fresh day market and evening ready made food market. Yet it's small enough to be devoid of traffic jams and other city woes.

Crossing the city is sometimes a nightmare;
it is reached by a four-lane road which abruptly narrows to two lanes; the exit from the side of the salt marshes is quite bizarre; ; in fact the thai people never learned to drive on the left so that they are at 30 or 40 km'h in the right lane ...

On 12/22/2019 at 12:27 PM, owl sees all said:

I like to shoot into the sun a little but with the camera out of the sun;

Never shoot the sun directly in the middle of the day otherwise you will burn the sensor;
you can, taking care to photograph a sunrise or a sunset, the sensor will be able to resist provided you use a fast speed or use a neutral gray filter which will considerably reduce the entry of light; and there, foot mandatory because the speed will be several seconds.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Crossing the city is sometimes a nightmare;
it is reached by a four-lane road which abruptly narrows to two lanes; the exit from the side of the salt marshes is quite bizarre; ; in fact the thai people never learned to drive on the left so that they are at 30 or 40 km'h in the right lane ...

Ah, the salt marshes are on the other side of town, the road to Kham Chanot, whilst the VOA four lanes are on the road to Phen. But yes, as you say, the road suddenly widens there too. Perhaps the Americans wanted two runways, lol.

Imo the best way of crossing town if traffic is heavy is to take the street parallel to the main road, i.e. if coming from the salt marshes go straight on at the traffic lights rather than swinging to the left on the main road as 90% of the traffic does.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

Perhaps the Americans wanted two runways, lol.

I'm french ..nobody is perfect :cheesy:

But towns like Bandung or Sawang Daen Din should have a by-pass ;

There is one for Nong Han and another one for Na Khae , not far from That Phanom ..

I'm living 12 km from Sawang in the middle of nowhere since nearly 15 years ; they are now making the road 22 as a four lanes roads but didn't even think of making a detour , a by-pass , to avoid Sawang; it is a nightmare every end of the afternoon when the daily market starts from 16/17 h along Route 22 which crosses the city;
in Phangkhon, it is a thousand times better even if the parking is of a rather wild style.:wacko:

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 8:11 PM, FarangULong said:

No, it doesn't. I was merely refering to the fact, that some people pretend that they didn't understand what he was saying. I can understand his anger towards his neighbours and other locals in his area though. If people were stealing my tools, or breaking them, I'd get upset too. Especially if you make a somewhat meagre living farming.

All that being said, not in every culture (esp. mainland Europe, but even with some UK people) does the word "monkey" have racist connotations. I.e. the southern English call the northern English "northern monkeys", Germans (some anyway, like me haha) call the English "Inselaffen" aka "Island Apes" or "Island Monkeys", and the term can be used generally to refer to idiots with somewhat primitive demeanor and/or no respect for others and their property, but it can also be a term of endearment, especially towards a child...

Obviously he wasn't using it as a term of endearment, but it wasn't necessarily racist either. I don't know enough about the Finnish language and their use of certain words, to make a judgment call. And neither do you, most likely.

Utter nonsense. Every example you provide is derogatory and implies inferiority, racist or not.

• Like 2