Where's The Donate Button?

phazey

Just had a scan around the site, and this never occured to me before. As i work in the ISP/hosting/tech industry I know how much it costs to run a high traffic site like tv.com. I've been a member for some years now, and had countless help and advice, met some great people, both on and offline. If ever i had to give a dollar for every time i've been satisfied with this forum, i'd be oohhhh....7 bucks poorer. But it all adds up right? What i'm saying, is that if we can call this forum a community - i'd like to pitch in, as a member of this community. Keeping the costs down will no doubt help a little...

Just a thought - But i guess every person who will reply has had some kind of assistance via this forum.

:o

./P

PS: I am in no way affiliated with the forum mods/admins/sponsors or donz. Just happy to be a member.

Oh sorry, i assumed most ads were thai orientated - local vendors and the like. But there are still a large number of non thai residents who gain invaluable information from here. I myself do not reside in Thailand or work there - spend most of the time in another country - but still i get *something* from this site. And to be honest, think of someone who saves a few hundred bucks with a well versed peice of advice - easier and more self-rewarding to paypal a few this way.

A donation button should be available in any community site, some people hate advertisement with a passion, but is more than eager to give a little help with a donation.

You have no idea the amount of money certain sites make just with donations, it's an often underestimated stream of income .Just my 2 centences

the deal is supposed to be that you support the advertisers in appreciation .......................

True, every time you click on an advertisers link you are donating (indirectly) to TV.

That's not quite the whole story. Many of the Google ads that appear here are not CPC (cost per click) but CPM (cost per 1000 impressions).

the deal is supposed to be that you support the advertisers in appreciation .......................

True, every time you click on an advertisers link you are donating (indirectly) to TV.

That's not quite the whole story. Many of the Google ads that appear here are not CPC (cost per click) but CPM (cost per 1000 impressions).

You're right, I had forgot about that. The two sites I have I only use google adsense but now remember the options of CPM.

Just had a scan around the site, and this never occured to me before. As i work in the ISP/hosting/tech industry I know how much it costs to run a high traffic site like tv.com. I've been a member for some years now, and had countless help and advice, met some great people, both on and offline. If ever i had to give a dollar for every time i've been satisfied with this forum, i'd be oohhhh....7 bucks poorer. But it all adds up right? What i'm saying, is that if we can call this forum a community - i'd like to pitch in, as a member of this community. Keeping the costs down will no doubt help a little...

Just a thought - But i guess every person who will reply has had some kind of assistance via this forum.

./P

PS: I am in no way affiliated with the forum mods/admins/sponsors or donz. Just happy to be a member.

If you could receive just $2 more utility from Thai Visa, your donation would get you a polo shirt.

http://store.thaivisa.com/home.php?cat=1

./P

If you could receive just $2 more utility from Thai Visa, your donation would get you a polo shirt.

http://store.thaivisa.com/home.php?cat=1

good post ............... :D

wikipedia recently did something similar. about a month ago, when you logged on to wikipedia, at the top there was a banner you could click and donate. Some people just donated ten cents, others larger amounts, but it added up to quite a lot within a few days.

eh!

Its a commercial site, with lots of ads, paid sponsors, banner ads, google ads etc... Not sure I understand the logic of a donate button, if it had no adverts or sponsors, then sure.

I like coca-cola, but I don't donate money to them, sending a cheque off each year to head office.

eh!

Its a commercial site, with lots of ads, paid sponsors, banner ads, google ads etc... Not sure I understand the logic of a donate button, if it had no adverts or sponsors, then sure.

I like coca-cola, but I don't donate money to them, sending a cheque off each year to head office.

seconded

eh!

I might click on a 'donate' button though if I got a particularly helpful reply to something or a good laugh.

I pay to be a member of two other forums (not Thai related) because I consider them quality and want to see them continue.

Edited by tywais
URL Removed no discussion of adblocking allowed for obvious reasons - admin policy

I'm not convinced that this whole idea of "donation" has been properly defined or --above all-- tested. Therefore, I humbly request, in the name of all that represents truth, justice and ... my way... that one (yes, ONLY ONE) U.S. Dollar be donated to me by each reader of this forum. After counting the proceeds, I will advise you if the sum of the proceeds is equal to the gravity of the issue at question.

eh!

Yes you do, 10 - 15 baht at a time. Unless you're smuggling it out of your local Seven, without paying...? :o

Having said that, I agree with your sentiments. The ads & sponsors pay for the site. Much as I love TV, if I had to pay for it, I wouldn't visit very often.

eh!

Yes you do, 10 - 15 baht at a time. Unless you're smuggling it out of your local Seven, without paying...? :o

Having said that, I agree with your sentiments. The ads & sponsors pay for the site. Much as I love TV, if I had to pay for it, I wouldn't visit very often.

You don't have, it's called donation for a reason eh :D

Anyway, I understand the skepticism, I didn't believe the potential of a donate button until I tried it out in one of my sites ( an Italian literature site, frequented by a lot of students),and yes I have advertising, I'm not going into details, however last 6 months donations are close to my advertising revenue.

Really it's not an invasive practice, the button is there, you are free to ignore it or you can show a little love :D

eh!

I might click on a 'donate' button though if I got a particularly helpful reply to something or a good laugh.

I pay to be a member of two other forums (not Thai related) because I consider them quality and want to see them continue.

I agree, big G has got this sorted with sponsors etc etc.

Kayo: Enough people went to this site and donated, so now the rabbit lives!

Peter

peter :o thanks for that mate! Great, and on topic, if somewhat disturbing story. Save the Wabbits!!!! (btw, I read this immediately after coming off THIS upsetting thread...

PS> I'm really not that into rabbits... its only me Toon-ish persona on here

Edited by kayo