Fee for moving stamps from old passport to new passport?

14 hours ago, kralledr said:

if someone have 1 year extension it need to be moved if the old pp expires o_O...

Usually the extension is only for the life of the passport if Ext is renewed with under a year remaining on the PP. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

At udon immigration, you just need the letter of the embassy.

No fee.

They're friendly people there.

Fill in a form and some pics, they take copies of your passport at immigration itself for 5 baht.

If you do it at nonghkai border, they'll charge you 1.000 baht.

• Like 1

Have a new Passport last week, they [Trendy Building] cut the corner off the old Passport...

9 years ago, never did anything and on renewal of Extension they wrote something in new Passport and signed it, then stamped a new 1 year extension on the same page....

Was/planed to do the same again this time, yearly extension due last week of December...  Is that still OK ?

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I just did this with my new British passport which I got while in the UK last month.

I had to take a Pro Forma letter provided by the Embassy requesting assistance in the transfer of visa. You just fill in your relevant details in the spaces provided.

Also had to fill out a form at Jomtien immigration, with a copy of Main page of both passports, visa and re-entry permit in old one, plus entry stamp on new passport. The guy processing then took three more photocopies of various bits from the old passport, and of course I had to sign every page.

I went there on a Tuesday and had to go back the following day to pick it up.

There was no charge for doing it.

Wow you could write a book on all the paperwork just to restamp a new passport. Ever wonder where all these photocopies go to?

• Like 1

Six years ago I had the original Non-O visa from 2007 transferred to my new passport in Jomtien at the same time I did my annual retirement extension. The transfer was free, but for some reason they didn't ask me for the 1900 Baht extension fee either, just kept the new passport overnight, as always, and returned it the next afternoon with both the transferred visa and the new extension for another year. I wasn't complaining, anyway.

I do not know about US passport, but for Canadian passport , the Canadian Embassy put a stamp in the old passeport that specify that it is replaced by a new passeport and the number of the new passport.

Immigration was happy with that mention in my old passport and did the change of the extension stamp.

500 baht fee at Hua Hin Immigration and a

receipt given, when I changed to a new Australian passport.  The Australian Embassy don't give a letter, they stamp your old passport and you enter the number of the new passport, in the space provided, when you receive it.  That was acceptable to the immigration officer I dealt with at the time.

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Wow you could write a book on all the paperwork just to restamp a new passport. Ever wonder where all these photocopies go to?

Go visit the toilet at Sakon Nakhon office. You walk through a canyon of floor to ceiling paper piled up the whole length of the corridor. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

Sorry, maybe this has been asked already ... but.  Why bother moving them?  Its not required.  Save your money, time and potential stress.

They did it for me at the airport when leaving. IO called another officer over to do it. No fee.

57 minutes ago, Letseng said:

They did it for me at the airport when leaving. IO called another officer over to do it. No fee.

They did it for me at Friendship Bridge as well; free, although it caused a commotion and 15 minute debate about it.  Didn't give me a choice, just did it.

On 11/23/2019 at 1:07 PM, Pawpcorn said:

Thanks; I'll be sure to be bringing along at least that much, and then not act shocked if and when they ask me to pay a fee, 555

Thanks, ubonjoe!!!

Pawpcorn

You'll need the document from your embassy in which they ask immigration to transfer the stamps to your new passport. 

• Like 1

It seems like every secondary matter including moving visa extension stamps to new passport, obtaining a certificate of residence from relevant IO for purchase of vehicles or renewing driving licences etc. required to pay an unofficial fee of 500 baht of course, without an offical receipt.

Had been here long enough to replace two time passports, two time (1 & 5 years driving licences, purchased my first vehicle, without having to obtain a residence certificate or paying an easy common 500B unofficial fee at all.

Till now replacing my 3rd new passport (visa extension stamps transfer), purchased my 2nd new vehicle (which I reluctantly paid, but asked for an official receipt which the attending Officer can't produced, but later "settled" by vehicle salesman) and renewing my 3rd time driving licence at LTO (need certificate of residence).

Easy unoffical/overtime fees for such gov.servants?

1 minute ago, RangerF said:

It seems like every secondary matter including moving visa extension stamps to new passport, obtaining a certificate of residence from relevant IO for purchase of vehicles or renewing driving licences etc. required to pay an unofficial fee of 500 baht of course, without an offical receipt.

Had been here long enough to replace two time passports, two time (1 & 5 years driving licences, purchased my first vehicle, without having to obtain a residence certificate or paying an easy common 500B unofficial fee at all.

Till now replacing my 3rd new passport (visa extension stamps transfer), purchased my 2nd new vehicle (which I reluctantly paid, but asked for an official receipt which the attending Officer can't produced, but later "settled" by vehicle salesman) and renewing my 3rd time driving licence at LTO (need certificate of residence).

Easy unoffical/overtime fees for such gov.servants?

Still depending on the local immigration office. Transferring stamps at Jomtien Immigration is free and also at several other offices.

Thanks guys... SO MANY "conflicting" reporting on whether fees were charged or NOT, and within the SAME Udon Thani office!!!

There's one really nice lady there that I always like to have process my Retirement Extensions... I hope I can get her tomorrow...

I always go with my Thai partner, and we ALWAYS make every effort to be very polite and jovial... besides just a good practice here in LOS, I sympathize with her, doing the same tedious job day in and day out, with her having to give SO MANY farangs getting some shocking news that's rather Earth-shattering, and then farangs openly venting, as is our cultural nature to do; certainly difficult to be on the receiving end of so much grief on a daily basis.

I'll report back in this thread as to whether or not it's free or 500 baht. ???? To me, not a biggie if I get asked for the 500 Baht.

Take care, ❤️

Pawpcorn

It's obviously false that imm matches the date your extension expires to the expiration date of your current passport. If that were true, no one would be discussing transferring stamps.

It's also not true that you have to transfer your extension stamp to the new passport. Your extension also doesn't get invalidated just cause your old passport gets cancelled.

The only thing you should do is transfer your re-entry permit to the new passport so that you don't have to carry 2 passports with you when you travel abroad. Imm at the airport will do this quickly for free.

When you go in for your annual extension, imm will take care of the transfer at the same time they stamp you for the new extension. You just pay for the new extension as usual.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 10years said:

It's obviously false that imm matches the date your extension expires to the expiration date of your current passport. If that were true, no one would be discussing transferring stamps.

It's also not true that you have to transfer your extension stamp to the new passport. Your extension also doesn't get invalidated just cause your old passport gets cancelled.

The only thing you should do is transfer your re-entry permit to the new passport so that you don't have to carry 2 passports with you when you travel abroad. Imm at the airport will do this quickly for free.

When you go in for your annual extension, imm will take care of the transfer at the same time they stamp you for the new extension. You just pay for the new extension as usual. 

The only stamps that get transferred are the entry stamp and the last extension stamp. Visas don't get transferred. And why shouldn't you transfer the stamps? If you want to carry around 2 passports,then you do that. A normal person don't want to. If you want to be able to do a 90 days report,then the stamps has to be transferred. If you're up for next extension and you visit an immigration office with a designated desk for stamp transfers, they want you to finish that first,and then do the extension.

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2019 at 4:59 PM, kurtmartens said:

Sorry, maybe this has been asked already ... but.  Why bother moving them?  Its not required.  Save your money, time and potential stress.

all info has to be in new passport....as the old one is out of date...and possibly had a corner clipped to show it is kaput...THAT IS WHY ....

2 minutes ago, essox essox said:

all info has to be in new passport....as the old one is out of date...and possibly had a corner clipped to show it is kaput...THAT IS WHY ....

That isn't true.  So before you start typing in ALL CAPS, you might want to actually know the rules around passports and visas.  This is from the US State Dept website (even though we are talking about Thai visas you are inferring something that isn't true in general about passports / visas).

If your visa is still valid you can travel to the United States with your two passports, as long as the visa is valid, not damaged, and is the appropriate type of visa required for your principal purpose of travel. ... Both passports (the valid and the expired one with the visa) should be from the same country.

Passport expiration dates and visa validity are not connected.  

• Like 1

Ref. Hua Hin immigration..... went to renew my extension retirement visa in May..... passport expires January 2020.

visa issued up to expiry date of passport. I.O told me to bring both old and new passports for new extension in January.

back to U.K....new passport Issued....I return in December,and will renew as advised by IO in January.

any issues/advice,please? Thank you

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Usually the extension is only for the life of the passport if Ext is renewed with under a year remaining on the PP. 

The extension has nothing to do with the validity of the passport. You transfer the entry stamp and last extension because you have no use for an expired passport. 

• Like 1