Tourism is dead

Tayaout

So I keep hearing on this forum that tourism is dead.

I was in Silom and my hotel breakfast restaurant was empty. I asked to extend for one night but they told me occupency was near 100% but they somehow let me stay one more night. 

Then I took the ferry from Trat and there is plenty of what they call farang. Looks healthy to me. 

Then I asked my hotel for an upgrade and I got a good price. If my post doesn't make sense then it's because I found the minibar and I did not drink for almost a year. 

Cheers! 

IMG_20191123_115550.jpg

IMG_20191123_133943-01.jpeg

Well for sure it is nothing up north in CM, pathetic in numbers for sure. But at least you can spot a few everywhere again (rather than almost none at all).
Guess we are so used to the quiet months now, that as soon we see a few dozen tourists, we get excited, while that is in fact nothing much.

I went to Walking Street in Fisherman's Village on Samui last night. It is usually the most crowded of the Walking Streets on the island. No traffic getting there, which was the harbinger of a very uncrowded Walking Street. Sad. My neighbor is a motorcycle policeman here in Samui. I was just talking with him and he said that crime is way down because there are no tourists. He's happy because he has less work to do, but at the same time he is aware of all of the closed businesses and people struggling to get by. He actually blamed Prayut, which blew my mind. I'd never dare say such a thing to him, even though I think it.

The numbers where I live in CM are up, southside of the moat. Lots of traffic around here farangs in the roads walking blocking traffic. Alot renting motorbikes and riding silly. There are a few chinese but not like 2 or 3 years ago.

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You won't like Vietnam then, packed out with both white and Chinese tourists everywhere you go.

I live in out the Bangkok suburbs. Even "downtown", if one heads a couple hundred meters off Sukhumvit, Silom, and other tourist impacted roads, foreigners are few and far between. They're around, but one isn't tripping over them.

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Gulf side is booming, guess you are in koh chang or koh mak? 

Always full there - it's just that the sleezy <deleted>holes are dying off imo. But ecotourism etc is doing good, even in isaan.

Koh Mak! First time here. I wanted to go in the South but the weather wasn't looking pretty for snorkeling. 

Update: The resort restaurant is empty. Service is great and tourism is dead! 

7 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Koh Mak! First time here. I wanted to go in the South but the weather wasn't looking pretty for snorkeling. 

Makes for a nice holiday then!!

2 hours ago, madmen said:

loads of people dragging around suitcases lower sukhumvit. One thing I noticed was a big increase in western woman, something thats been missing in the past

Your observation is indeed correct, female travelers have in fact outnumbered male travelers since 2016.

Female visitors from Muslim countries like Malaysia and Indonesia have virtually exploded.

Tourist by gender.xlsx

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

"If my post doesn't make sense then it's because I found the minibar and I did not drink for almost a year. "

These people are leaving your island! I would leave too if the minibars are blocked by the bed ????????

I did not understand your comment until I checked the picture again. The door isn't blocked at all. It's a perspective illusion! The minibar door isn't even in front of the bed. 

IMG_20191123_195935.jpg

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You won't like Vietnam then, packed out with both white and Chinese tourists everywhere you go.

You posted a pic of your place recently , smack in the middle of a rice paddy surrounded by mountains on all sides. With children and partner so how the hell would you know whats going on in vietnam right now? to funny

3 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I did not understand your comment until I checked the picture again. The door isn't blocked at all. It's a perspective illusion! The minibar door isn't even in front of the bed. 

IMG_20191123_195935.jpg

Wow. This is really the same room?! To me it looked as if the bed blocks the refrigerator door.

6 hours ago, madmen said:

loads of people dragging around suitcases lower sukhumvit. One thing I noticed was a big increase in western woman, something thats been missing in the past

ive noticed that also. take a closer look and many of them are lesbian. there seems to be a wave of farang lesbians coming in.

43 minutes ago, fhickson said:

ive noticed that also. take a closer look and many of them are lesbian. there seems to be a wave of farang lesbians coming in.

Take a closer look?????? They look like lesbians, just what does a lesbian look like???

7 hours ago, Tayaout said:

There's good snorkeling there and diving.

Old shipwreck for diving.

Near Koh Kham is also good for snorkeling and can go over with cayak easily.

Bunch of tiger sharks often on the pier bar next to cococape resort, 20 mins cayak to Ko Phi from there is also good for snorkeling.

Dolphins also swimming around but more on the east side.

4 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

There's good snorkeling there and diving.

Old shipwreck for diving.

Near Koh Kham is also good for snorkeling and can go over with cayak easily.

Bunch of tiger sharks often on the pier bar next to cococape resort, 20 mins cayak to Ko Phi from there is also good for snorkeling.

Dolphins also swimming around but more on the east side.

How is the best way to get to Koh Mak? Driv to the end of the 3155 road, park the car and take a passenger ferry?

What is a good resort to stay at?

8 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Take a closer look?????? They look like lesbians, just what does a lesbian look like???

have you ever passed by a bar and knew the men in there were gay without having to ask?

well its kind of like that, but with women. 

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

How is the best way to get to Koh Mak? Driv to the end of the 3155 road, park the car and take a passenger ferry?

What is a good resort to stay at?

I had to take 2 ferry from Trat. It's my first time but I can safely recommend my place. The service is really good for Thailand and they speak good English. They came to pick us at the ferry without even asking. They take care of my son while I eat with my wife. 

I rented a mini beach house for a week for 25K (normal price 29K) with breakfast included. You should contact them directly for reservations. If I did I would have probably saved more. 

The beach is not very wide but there is no trash and the water is crystal clear. The food is good but you need to ask for extra spicy if you like it. If you drink wine then you should bring your own they have only 1 choice. There is massage on the beach, kayak, bike, motorbike, etc. 

http://www.booking.com/Share-zk7LxYD

lazydaymenu.pdf

18 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I was in Silom and my hotel breakfast restaurant was empty. I asked to extend for one night but they told me occupency was near 100% but they somehow let me stay one more night. 

...... If my post doesn't make sense ......

You're right, and not such a buzz that you can still recognize that your post doesn't make sense.

I can't figure out why the restaurant is empty but the same paragraph says the hotel is full.

Maybe the other guests new that you were coming and cleared out from the restaurant (did you deodorize?).

Or maybe you got up late (my style) unlike the early bird tourists.

Archived