Applying for a new passport as an American in CM

davidupatterson

Hey all, 

I am in need of a new passport (my free passport pages are running out) and would rather not travel back to the US to get one. I see that the embassy in Bangkok and the consulate in Chiang Mai offer passport renewal services via mail for Americans. 

Does anyone have any recent experience with this process? I'm in Chiang Mai and would prefer to do it here if possible. Is it pretty straightforward without too many risks (lost passport) or delays?

Thanks for your help. 

Great. Thanks, everyone! 

I haven't dug into the details yet (like cost) but even if it's more expensive than getting a new passport in the US, this certainly works out to be more financially advantageous than going back to the US. 

Just one last question: Will my new passport say that it was issued in Thailand? 

10 minutes ago, davidupatterson said:

Just one last question: Will my new passport say that it was issued in Thailand? 

Not anyplace I can find on mine.  I think they no longer state where issued, instead they state issued by authority of Dept of State.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, davidupatterson said:

Great. Thanks, everyone! 

I haven't dug into the details yet (like cost) but even if it's more expensive than getting a new passport in the US, this certainly works out to be more financially advantageous than going back to the US. 

The cost is the same.

• Like 1

Do it all by mail -- submittal and return. That's what they're pushing, at least with wall posters last time I visited the Consulate (June 2019).

Processing time to renew passports by mail is the same as applying in person.
You can complete your application at your home, saving you time and money

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

• Like 1