grace is back

thanks to a friendly IO selling emails, got another spammail from "grace" at thai visa center, this one about new O-A insurance requirements.

" It is now REQUIRED for you to have an insurance policy for one of the approved insurers here if you want to continue to have a O-A type visa. "

is this incorrect information? 

It has been discussed in great detail in this thread (from about page 95-100).  It appears that an approved Thai health insurance policy is required now to qualify for a 12 month extension of stay (based on a Non O-A visa).

Edited by MeePeeMai
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

thanks....page 96-100!

i was still on version 4.0 where only new o's required thai insurance, and those already in thailand would continue receiving extensions as before without.

thank you.

oops!!!  meant to type new O-A's

" It is now

REQUIRED for you to have an insurance policy for one of the approved insurers here if you want to continue to have a O-A type visa. "

It ain't spam at all. It's a friendly courtesy email for those not in the know of the new requirements. Seems you are confused by what "spam" actually means.

8 hours ago, bbi1 said:

It ain't spam at all. It's a friendly courtesy email for those not in the know of the new requirements. Seems you are confused by what "spam" actually means.

spam
/spam/
noun
  1. 1.
    irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to a large number of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.

He did not ask "Grace" to send him advertising. The IO sold his e-mail address to third parties without his consent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, lkv said:

spam
/spam/
noun
  1. 1.
    irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to a large number of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.

He did not ask "Grace" to send him advertising. The IO sold his e-mail address to third parties without his consent.

Yes, but the big question is. Does the law in Thaialnd really state that he need consent for selling the emails?

13 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, but the big question is. Does the law in Thaialnd really state that he need consent for selling the emails?

Most likely not, but then again, I don't believe the OP said to "Grace" or "her" company: "Please send me more info".

That's why it's called a spam.

People buy off spams also, it does not necessarily mean the services provided are not legit.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

here's the entire email, from "grace" who i don't know, probably doesn't exist, and never contacted:

Hello xxxxxx,

This is Grace from Thai Visa Centre with a November update.

We have had many retirees on a O-A type visa contacting us about the new rules. It is now REQUIRED for you to have an insurance policy for one of the approved insurers here if you want to continue to have a O-A type visa.

We have been advising those who do not want, or need insurance to transition to a NON-O type visa which does not have this requirement.

If you cannot do this on your own we can help you transition to NON-O.

If you have any visa needs please contact us ASAP, for a faster response you can also message us via LINE.

according to elvira in post #5, this is incorrect.  so maybe not so useful.

there is an 'unsubscribe' button in the email, but that just lets the spammers know the email address is real.

17 hours ago, Why Me said:

Heck, I feel left out. Having heard about the TVC here I sent them an email couple of days ago myself re an issue I have coming up. And never heard from them.

Hey, Grace, it's me! Check your mail.

Yeah, me too. I emailed her on 12th Nov., haven't heard from her.

Note to all ISP's...  If the Zombie apocalypse starts up tonight, alien invaders land nearby, the black plague reaches my home town, or someone is giving away piles of cash down the street, feel free to send me an unsolicited (and by definition) spam email.

Thank you for your consideration.

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

here's the entire email, from "grace" who i don't know, probably doesn't exist, and never contacted:

Hello xxxxxx,

This is Grace from Thai Visa Centre with a November update.

We have had many retirees on a O-A type visa contacting us about the new rules. It is now REQUIRED for you to have an insurance policy for one of the approved insurers here if you want to continue to have a O-A type visa.

We have been advising those who do not want, or need insurance to transition to a NON-O type visa which does not have this requirement.

If you cannot do this on your own we can help you transition to NON-O.

If you have any visa needs please contact us ASAP, for a faster response you can also message us via LINE.

according to elvira in post #5, this is incorrect.  so maybe not so useful.

there is an 'unsubscribe' button in the email, but that just lets the spammers know the email address is real.

If you look at the mail headers it is sent through SendGrid, and the unsubscribe link is real (and looks like the SendGrid format). If you click that link, and they continue to send you messages then it is considered as spam (I think they have 7 days to comply).

17 minutes ago, chasegorham said:

Which part is incorrect?

Sorry, it’s not. The answer should have been NO.

Having quoted something it would be usual to ask if it’s correct. Not if it’s incorrect. I misread the question.

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

The bigger question is why do people give out their ‘primary’ email address to anyone other than trusted people/organisations.

I believe giving my primary email to an organisation like Thai immigration should not be something I need to be concerned about. (It should be a 'trusted' organisation!) If I had a PE, for eg, and they suddenly decided to cancel my one year Permission to stay, as that membership has expired, and I am now on overstay, best it doesn't go to a throwaway email, that has already been chucked! There could be many important reasons immigration wish to contact me, best they do not undermine that address. 

I had the follieing Line exchange with her on 14 November. The forst message arrived unsolicited from them:

"O-A HEALTH INSURANCE UPDATE If you currently hold a Non-O visa, or 1 year retirement extension through us you are not impacted by these requirements. However if you are here on an O-A visa, or planning on coming back into the country on an O-A visa you will be required on entry to show proof of thai insurance that follows the requirements. We are hearing reports from individuals that have had a O-A visa before Oct 31st to also be impacted at some immigrations."

I asked: "Please clarify. Are you saying people with extension of stay for retirement are not affected even if their original visa type was OA?"

They answered: "if your current visa is the extension in thailand then you do not need to worry about health insurrance"

I asked " Thanks. What about first time extension of stay on OA issued 2 years ago?"

Answer: "no problem"

I asked again" You say about Non O. What about non OA issued 2017? Does it need insurance?"

Answer: "No ka".

Now this all would need further cerification with them and refers only to extensions they handle.....

On 11/25/2019 at 1:06 AM, jacko45k said:

I believe giving my primary email to an organisation like Thai immigration should not be something I need to be concerned about. (It should be a 'trusted' organisation!)

“should be”, agreed. But it’s probably not the organisation you need to worry about; it’s some people working for it.

If I had a PE, for eg, and they suddenly decided to cancel my one year Permission to stay, as that membership has expired, and I am now on overstay, best it doesn't go to a throwaway email, that has already been chucked! There could be many important reasons immigration wish to contact me, best they do not undermine that address. 

You can’t have your permission to stay revoked by email!

Okay. Then accept the email address used May get sold and used by third parties. You still don’t need to use your ‘primary’ email address.

The point is that these days you need to be smart using email addresses and they need to be managed. Especially in countries like Thailand.

Edited by elviajero

Totally off topic.. But if you admin your own email you can set up catch all addressing, so then you can just give immi@ magsubs@ vpn@ etc etc to your hearts content.. Then when one abuses that 1) you know where it came from and 2) you can send that direct to spam easily. 

• Like 1