Nord vs Express VPN

stubuzz

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

They actually list servers in order of speed (if you wish) and there are 4 showing for the UK.

The "smart dns" of theirs works very well dont have to choose anything, just one click and done !

Sorry I mis-worded my last reply, should have said countrie as opposed to servers.

Will wait until next March then.

35 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Sorry I did ask, but cant remember, I can only say that I recently changed to them and they work fine and always respond quickly on support. I think they are a swedish company. I got the 3 months to test them properly and @ $12 seemed a good idea before commiting to a longer period.

You gotta tell us what you're using it for, otherwise its kind of pointless. Using it to get around blocked websites vs streaming HD TV and successfully bypassing Netflix's geo restrictions are 2 different things. 

Just now, Thainesss said:

You gotta tell us what you're using it for, otherwise its kind of pointless. Using it to get around blocked websites vs streaming HD TV and successfully bypassing Netflix's geo restrictions are 2 different things. 

I use it to get around any Geo blocks, and mostly watch UK TV stations. Cannot comment on Netflix, dont use them.

Read the other day that Nord vpn had been hacked and lots of

customers details stolen, also that half of the VPN companies,

several of the top ones are owned by Chinese.source,Wilders Security forum.

I just use Browsec which is good enough for me, $2.99 a month

on a year package, they are Russian ,but works well with UK

sites that are blocked and I don't do any online banking,

13 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Read the other day that Nord vpn had been hacked and lots of

customers details stolen, also that half of the VPN companies,

several of the top ones are owned by Chinese.source,Wilders Security forum.

I just use Browsec which is good enough for me, $2.99 a month

on a year package, they are Russian ,but works well with UK

sites that are blocked and I don't do any online banking,

The reports of Nord VPN being hacked were somewhat alarmist, Nord VPN's response is below with link. 

A few months ago, we became aware of an incident in March 2018 when a server at a datacenter in Finland we had been renting servers from was accessed without authorization. This was done through an insecure remote management system account that the datacenter had added without our knowledge. The datacenter deleted the user accounts that the intruder had exploited rather than notify us.

The intruder did not find any user activity logs because they do not exist. They did not discover users’ identities, usernames, or passwords because none of our applications send user-created credentials for authentication.

The intruder did find and acquire a TLS key that has already expired. With this key, an attack could only be performed on the web against a specific target and would require extraordinary access to the victim’s device or network (like an already-compromised device, a malicious network administrator, or a compromised network). Such an attack would be very difficult to pull off. Expired or not, this TLS key could not have been used to decrypt NordVPN traffic in any way. That’s not what it does.

This was an isolated case, and no other servers or datacenter providers we use have been affected.

https://nordvpn.com/blog/official-response-datacenter-breach/

I've used NordVpn for a couple of years and found it good. Occassionally the BBC does block it, I don't know about other VPNs, it seems like a token gesture by them.

The hack while I believe what they said the attempt fix or should I say fixes have been problematic. The last update I had from a couple of days ago had a pop up and apologised for the problems, which do appear to have been fixed.

Interestingly I gave our elder daughter and her husband 3 of our 6 machines connections that come with it as they have moved to Shanghai and thus the great social media firewall which Nord say they have a work around (obfuscated server). They video'd us on Skype without using the vpn.

Perhaps Thailand is now considered a Chinese province.

OP, these days I buy all my software off ebay and you can find Nord VPN ( in my eyes the better one) for almost nothing.

You'll have to use the sellers given username and password but there are a lot of good sellers around. 

Check for their reputation, black sheep are everywhere.

I'm talking about a few baht only!!!

On 11/25/2019 at 4:45 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I chose Express VPN over Nord for two reasons...

1. EVPN has a wider range of PPTP and L2TP servers that I prefer to use for streaming on my wifi VPN router because they tend to be faster when used via a router. Whereas Nord is primarily focused on OpenVPN.

2. Nord's system of giving their server names arcane numbered names, instead of easier to understand and use server names like Los Angeles 1 or London 2, used to drive me crazy!!!  OK if you only care about a country connection. Not great if you care about a particular city connection.

1792901354_2019-11-2516_37_55.jpg.54786b351210f4d1e011f4f3c81d74fe.jpg

Exact same reasons I use ExpressVPN for the last 7 years. Have it set up on a linksys 3200

If anyone is looking to add or change VPN services, now (Black Friday and Cyber Monday weekend) is the time to do it!

Quite a few major VPN providers typically run legitimate discount sales during this period, and just lately, I've received such email promotions from Nord and Vyper VPN among others.

Also found a 50% off coupon code for Astrill VPN, which is one of my favorite services in terms of performance (but not customer service). Added the coupon to a modest discount Astrill already was offering right now, and reactivated my subscription with them for $3+ a month, whereas their normal rates have been in the $8.60 to $10 a month.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, SidJames said:

I use express but can rarely get a good enough connection to watch bbc & often it seems to know that I am on a vpn & won't let me on anyway giving me the massage that I must be in the UK to watch bbc

Clearing your browsing history helps ...

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And how are they gaining the money required to operate their services?

If they're free, it's probably for a reason.  Cheapest is not always good or the best.

Who cares if they do the job I gave up paying out subs years ago for buffering PC vpn's????

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Who cares if they do the job I gave up paying out subs years ago for buffering PC vpn's????

I never have any buffering problems with my paid VPN subscriptions.

And you didn't answer my earlier question ... how do you think your free VPN services are managing to afford to stay in business and cover their costs, if you're not paying them anything? Presumably, they're making money off you in some other way.

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I never have any buffering problems with my paid VPN subscriptions.

And you didn't answer my earlier question ... how do you think your free VPN services are managing to afford to stay in business and cover their costs, if you're not paying them anything? Presumably, they're making money off you in some other way.

I would seriously doubt even god could make money off me right now I did answer your previous question of "how" with who cares ????

On 11/25/2019 at 4:19 PM, CharlieH said:

I had cause to change VPN recently and found a new one with good service, fine for UK TV etc and a genuine FREE trial, not this money back <deleted>, and you can pay quarterly if you choose so as to test it etc and not get stung on these long commitments that seem to turn to <deleted> after awhile from some of them.

And the new one is?

Have been using Nord for a while now and very happy with them.  More and more websites in the US are blocking access when they detect you are overseas.  Not good for my kind of business.  Get all the US Netflix with no problems or delays.  My 2 cents.

I have paid and installed Nord VPN and i am currently testing it. Everything woks as it should but it is not as fast as Express VPN. If i were back in Thailand it may be OK, but i am in Saudi and the internet is already very slow ( 4Mbps on a good day). I will use is for a few days, but i think i will cancel it and stay with Express. I need the faster speed here.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:19 PM, pmarlin said:

And doesn't really matter. Speed, security and reliability does. 

...and NordVPN supply all of that, plus over 5,000 servers in 59 countries.

All at a reasonable price.

Archived