Documenting 12 months verified deposits in Thai account

I'm going in to Immigration next month to get my annual extension of my retirement visa. I have been depositing 65k (I do 70) every month for a year. How do I document that? Just bring in the the bank deposit book? Copy all the pages and highlight the deposits? What have people been doing?

Thanks

Along with a printout from the bank, bank guarantee letter and bankbook + copies,  I needed proof (at SamutPrakran) that the money came from outside the country and proof of the source. As was stated in a recent post "money from a rich uncle won't cut it". I supplied statements that showed the money came from a retirement pension fund. That satisfied the IO.  

Be sure your bankbook is updated the same day that you apply. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Most offices want to see a 12 month bank statement showing the transfers from abroad. And copies of your bank book.

You will also need a letter from the confirming your account.

Some offices also want a letter from the bank listing your transfers,. See: Example-BankLetter-Monthly-Deposits.pdf

Can the 12-month bank statement and letter confirming account be done one day and account book updated the next on the way to Immigration?

2 hours ago, bobonzo said:

Along with a printout from the bank, bank guarantee letter and bankbook + copies,  I needed proof (at SamutPrakran) that the money came from outside the country and proof of the source. As was stated in a recent post "money from a rich uncle won't cut it". I supplied statements that showed the money came from a retirement pension fund. That satisfied the IO.  

Be sure your bankbook is updated the same day that you apply. 

Thank you bobonzo for identifying the Immigration Office.  So many post their experience, but don't identify which Immigration Office they used, which is important information if someone is to rely on that information.  As Ubonjoe notes, what is required can vary depending on the Immigration Office where you apply for the extension.

In the case of Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration, they will want two letters from your bank. One confirming the account (same type as used for those using 800k in the bank) AND the other is the letter Ubonjoe refers to showing all foreign source transfers into the account for the preceding 12 months.  When I renewed at the end of last June in Pattaya, I had bank certified statements for the preceding 12 months - this was not good enough. I still had to get the letter from the bank listing the deposits. 

Note, if using Bangkok Bank, you will need to get the letter from the branch where you opened the account if you want the full 12 months listed and not have to wait (other branches and customer service counters of Bangkok Bank can provide only 6 months, so they will tell you they will need to get from Bangkok HQ and it will take at least a week, which was what happened when I asked for the "bank statements" from other than the branch where I  opened my account.  Thanks to the Immigration Officer as she provided me with a an example of the letter I needed and told me to get it at the branch here in Pattaya where I opened the account.  I went there and obtained the letter showing all deposits for the preceding 12 months (they first printed out "credit advices" for each deposit - fee 500 baht - and then prepared the letter - fee 100 baht - it took a little over an hour for them to complete the process.

I did provide a document from my pension provider as to my monthly pension amount, but did so without them asking for it, but the Immigration Officer did scrutinize it when going through the documentation.  So, whether they will actually require it, I can't say.

Edited by soisanuk

22 minutes ago, oobar said:

Can the 12-month bank statement and letter confirming account be done one day and account book updated the next on the way to Immigration?

In my case, CW/Ext Stay Ret, mid Sep, Yes.

I got the Immigration Letter from Bangkok Bank (main branch: 333 Silom) ~ 3 days before I went to CW. This letter summarized nine (9) monthly (Jan-Sep) Qualifying Foreign Transfers. This is/was a simple letter with just one single line totaling all nine QFTs; gross (before 200 baht fee). The rep. at BBL semed confident this was the format Imm/CW wanted; and it was for me.

I made copies of my passbook (showing QFTs(, and copies of the Credit Advice/Receipts (which detail each QFT individually). I get these each month shortly after the QFT is creditied. Original passbook(s) were required, returned with passport and new ext/stay.

I got the account ownership letter (at my branch) the day before I went to CW. This letter serves as proof that you are the owner of the account. Letter shows name, account number, date opened, current balance.

I updated my passbook with a B/F entry the day of my visit to CW, at the Bangkok Bank kiosk on the basement level.

I had proof of origin: SSA-1099, Annuity statement, originating account transfers, but these were not requested.

My extension was granted, with nine QFTs; I started QFTs as soon as I was aware of the requirement, in early Jan, 2019.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, oobar said:

How long it takes to get a 12 month bank statement depends upon the bank you are using. For Bangkok Band at most branches it takes 7 days to get one.

There should be no reason for the bank statement to be done the day before you apply when you apply for the extension using the income option. Same for a the updated bank book on the day your apply.

When i applied for my extension at the office here they accepted the 12 month statement that was a month old and a month one done the day before that you showed a transfer that came in after the 12 months statement was done. Bank letter was done when I got the one month statement.

The bank book had not been updated since my transfer came in the week before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

I'm good until July, but as in the case of bobonzo..as above. Will CW ask for the source of income???

I get the awards? letter from SS every year, but VA doesn't issue such.

I need to combine both to go over 65K....

I think the VA should be able to send you something that proves your benefit payment is XXXX amount per month.

Not sure CW is asking for it or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oobar said:

I only provided banks statements. I never keep my bank book up to date, because living out in the sticks, my bank visits are infrequent. I collected the standard bank letter about one week before going to Imm as the balance 'on the day' was not important. The only other thing the IO wanted was a copy of the bankbook's front page as additional proof of ownership.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

I'm good until July, but as in the case of bobonzo..as above. Will CW ask for the source of income???

I get the awards? letter from SS every year, but VA doesn't issue such.

I need to combine both to go over 65K....

You can get a copy of you VA annual statement on the ebenefits website. Look for the like download VA letters and look for Benefit Summary Letter.

I used this litter for my prof of retirement income pension from the Military at the Chachoengsao IM office and I know that a friend of mine used his VA letter at the Jomtien IM office in Sept.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, streetlite said:

will a tax return suffice for proof of source of income?

That question can only be answered by someone who's tried it. I looked at my income details on my HMRC account (that's the UK tax service) and it does show all the details that would be required. Whether an IO would take the same view is anyone's guess.

I might try it next year, (but have the pension statements to hand just in case ???? )