Driving a car in Thailand after years of no car?

OneMoreFarang

2 rules set in stone.

1. First class insurance

2. Rear/Front dashcam

For driving;

1. Always check your blind zone before turning left or right. Always mirror+blind sone. The scooters/motorcycles come out of nowhere at high speed.

2. Defensive driving and center positioning. Stay in the center of your lane, dont play around with your phone or something else while driving.

3. Temperament. Keep it in check. Be patient. Dont honk.

4. Try to not drive after dark. Thats when things REALLY turn bat<deleted> crazy.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The biggest issue surrounding driving in Thailand is being able to predict the unpredictability of the other cars, motorcycles and trucks around you.

As you have been riding a motorcycle in you are already well versed in the 'nutty stuff' which can unfold in front, to the side and behind you.

Thus: with regards to renting a car and driving in Thailand, you'll have no issues.

How many staff...  or did you mean 'stuff' ?

Personally, I always want to be the one driving.

+1

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

I managed without driving in Cambodia for 5 years before coming here. If you think Thai drivers are bad, go try Cambodia. When I came here I started driving again. I found it easy as driving is on the same side as the UK, and I am pretty rural in Kanchanaburi so no heavy traffic to consider. Easy to drive North to Chiang Mai etc.

However on my many earlier visits to Bangkok, it was an easy decision never to drive in that city. Too many very long, gridlocked, taxi rides.

I am not a fan of motor bikes, never driven one, but on one medical visit to Bangkok I had no option to get to a facility from my hotel in the time allowed so first (and last) time ever I took a motorbike taxi. This was the second most terrifying 30 minutes of my life and the first was the return trip. Never again.

So, to your question, I'd hire a driver but you obviously have an advantage of dealing with it on your bike. Good luck.

If a ride on a bike in Bangkok is terrifying for you then you must have a very quiet life.

Long time ago, when I started to speak Thai, I told a motorcycle taxi that I have to go to place x, which is basically on the other end of the town, that I will stay there for 30 minutes, and then I want that he takes me back to the original place.

We agreed a price and we started the trip. He was riding fast but he knew what he was doing so no problem with me.

When we arrived he showed me his watch. He was proud he did it in 25 minutes. ????

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think about renting a car to make a trip to Prachin Buri for a day to bring lots of staff to my gf's home.

Just get rid of your stuff and simplify your life, problem solved. 

Retired here bringing 2, 23 kilo luggage and can leave at anytime with the same

Who needs a bunch of stuff at our age anyways? ( jokingly, as I have no idea what your stuff is)

Happy Trails ... 

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

Just get rid of your stuff and simplify your life, problem solved. 

Retired here bringing 2, 23 kilo luggage and can leave at anytime with the same

Who needs a bunch of stuff at our age anyways? ( jokingly, as I have no idea what your stuff is)

Happy Trails ... 

A big part must be the clothes from my gf from the time when she was a little thinner ????

And there must be at least 100 stuffed animals.

new_retail_mix.jpg

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now I ride a (400cc) motorcycle in Bangkok but I don't drive a car.

I have been here 3 years and don't drive a bike or a car. I did rent a bike for a month in Chiang Mai, I would think driving a car would be far easier then a bike. 

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If a ride on a bike in Bangkok is terrifying for you then you must have a very quiet life.

Long time ago, when I started to speak Thai, I told a motorcycle taxi that I have to go to place x, which is basically on the other end of the town, that I will stay there for 30 minutes, and then I want that he takes me back to the original place.

We agreed a price and we started the trip. He was riding fast but he knew what he was doing so no problem with me.

When we arrived he showed me his watch. He was proud he did it in 25 minutes. ????

I do have a very quiet life now thank you, and am enjoying it immensely.

Saying I am not a fan of motorbikes was an attempt to hide the fact that I really, actually, hate motorbikes. (I know there are lots of bikers here and didn't want to rile anyone ???? ).  When I was in school half my friends had motor bikes, the other half had cars. Thanksfully I could afford the car route.

To put it into context, a real fear of motorbikes resulted in me NEVER going on a motorbike as a pillion passenger ever. So the Bangkok ride really was terrifying. I am pretty sure the driver knew right away that I was not a good passenger. I walked everywhere in SIem Reap or took tuk tuks. Literally hundreds of times friends on a moto would stop and ask where II was going and could they give me a ride. Always declined politely. Yes they couldn't understand why, and I got some funny looks. Everyone to their own, I will stick to cars.

man y'all got lucky, I had to bring a 40 ft container of her stuff for the return to mother country. But when you been married 43 years in western country one has to assume the Thai spousal unit will define what is essential and what is not...and the answer is always "yes dear" makes ones life so easy.....Oh an agree driving in BKK not real pleasant, but driving up country is not so bad.

I wear the pants in this family, she only tells me which ones to put on....

Happy Thanksgiving folks...

Edited by yankyoakum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

For the price I would hire a car and driver and relax. Makes the trip more pleasurable.

Hire a car & driver and Relax? lol... I have on occasions been anything but Relaxed when being conveyed in a vehicle being driven by a thai driver to me is sort of a last resort option, from what OP said he will have no worries driving himself and probably be more relaxed and safer to boot

Take my advice, stay away from driving. I bought a new car last year and I am selling it now for 300000 less. The speed limit on Thai roads is 50MPH, absolutely rediculous. If you are used to UK or US roads be prepared to pay the 500 baht fines near every time you drive. 

6 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

Take my advice, stay away from driving. I bought a new car last year and I am selling it now for 300000 less. The speed limit on Thai roads is 50MPH, absolutely rediculous. If you are used to UK or US roads be prepared to pay the 500 baht fines near every time you drive. 

The speed limit on Thai roads varies - in the city limits its 60kmh, open roads its 90kmh and on expressways / motorways its 120kmh.

You are taking a 300,000 baht loss on a car because you can't keep under the speed limit?

If someone is too scared to drive here then not doing so is clearly the right thing, but not everyone is frightened of their own shadow. 

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A big part must be the clothes from my gf from the time when she was a little thinner ????

And there must be at least 100 stuffed animals.

new_retail_mix.jpg

If your GF has you toting these around, it's possible you are one of them. Or do you need them to get to sleep?

On 11/28/2019 at 5:42 AM, sirineou said:

How about swahili , how do you say traffic circle in Swahili ? i don't want to offend anyone

although an English concept, the first modern "roundabouts" were in the USA, so perhaps we should use the American term....or as the FRench now have the most perhaps "Carrefour giratoire". ...or maybe we should try and have enough intelligence to recognise the term in various languages?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In Australia. It was a condition of receiving a company car that the employee had to complete a course in defensive driving first.

I would suggest that these kinds of courses are not readily available in Thailand and what driver really need is the ability to adapt to the local driving environment. 

Actually a quick Google shows there may be some - they appear to be attached to companies though. I also have witnessed some appalling teaching and instruction from driving instructors in Thailand so one wonders how effective they would be.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 1

In my opinion, since you are already driving a motorcycle you will have no problem driving a car.  The reason I say this is that when you drive a motorcycle you have to be attentive to ALL the other traffic or your dead.  The only difference in a car is that now you have to watch out for all the motorcycles...

• Like 1