Tourism: Thailand set to introduce "Double Tourist Visa", govt secretary

webfact

In my opinion the government places too much reliance on income from the tourism industry.  Surely there are other industries, that do not rely on the whims of world travelers, which could be promoted, assisted, and financed by those in power.  Tourists are fickle and will go where they are truly welcomed and where they get value for their hard-earned money.  The purchasing power of my dollars has decreased by about 35% over the past few years.

23 hours ago, keith101 said:

When will they understand that it is the bad exchange rate that is keeping them away and is expected to get worse next year and a potential double entry visa might attract a few tourists but I doubt many would consider staying longer costing more money .

What has immigration got to do with the exchange rates and a strong baht? 

30 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

But the good general promised to eliminate corruption .....right !

That's kind of my point.  Folks keep ragging on TAT.  But they don't control corruption.  They don't control whether tourism taxes get collected, or spent on improving the resource.  They don't control safety on the roads.  They don't control whether garbage is collected, or what happens to it.  They don't control monetary or fiscal policies that make the baht strong or weak.  They don't control inflation that's driving up the cost of a holiday in Thailand.

Yet some people think bringing in foreign tourist experts will shed new light on how to improve tourism.  As if TAT people don't already know.  The challenge is doing the best they can within the small wheelhouse they actually control.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, SunsetT said:

If it must be obtained by evisa online application then that will reduce tourist numbers not increase them! This is because the online application is so irrational, difficult and unhelpful Im sure that least 50% will give up in exasperation as many must be doing now!

'User-unfriendly' describes it more succinctly.

23 hours ago, BoBoTheClown said:

Guys, what's the point of complaining about every decision Thai authorities make?  We should wish nothing but the best for the country that has allowed us to live. 

That has allowed us to live !  How magnanimous of them, if they did something about the driving we may live a bit longer. Oh now i get it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That has allowed us to live !  How magnanimous of them, if they did something about the driving we may live a bit longer. Oh now i get it.

Maybe you live longer if you go back home. Then you can complain about every single issue every day. You must live a very miserable life. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 11/28/2019 at 9:25 AM, Is this real said:

Respectively, Keith101, It's not the Baht, or the sunken boat that has crippled tourism.

Very few in Thailand understand what attracts a tourist from another country. 

The real problem is Thailand refuses to bring in a real expert who know tourism.  Bring in someone with experience in Las Vegas or New York City.  Then listen and implement their suggestions.

So, what do tourist want?

A good experience at a reasonable price.  β100 prices won't do it if the experience is poor.

The experience is poor because:

*Tourists are no longer welcomed.  In Phuket, beach policy is very restrictive.

*Timing.  If Thailand has a good attraction, it needs to be promoted for at least 3 months and then be in effect for at least 6 months.  Good tourists plan ahead.  Any promotion which is announced a month ahead of time, then expires after a month or two, will surely fail.

*Unsafe.  No enforcement of laws and tourists aren't treated fairly.

*Rip-offs.  From taxis to tuk-tuks, to two tier and price gouging.

*High Baht exchange rate.  While β100 isn't enough to attract anyone, a 17% rise in the Baht certainly will cost a tourist substantially.

*Eliminating tourist attractions.

Things will never change until someone in Thailand takes it seriously.

Another big problem is the lack of communication within their own departments. Unfortunately, nothing is straight forward here. It would definitely be a good idea to have tourism experts from other countries come here and help them. It would certainly turn out be a win-win situation. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dcnx said:

They talked about introducing this visa many years ago. Never happened.

As a regular visitor they should also introduce a fast track on-line registration to get regulars thru who are staying for a short time with the zap of a barcode as in Taiwan or take finger prints and allow regulars to use gates as in Hong Kong.

Work on a range of strategies to reduce waiting time for frequent visitors who obey the rules. This will give more time to sift for folk you want to keep out.  

• Like 1

to increase tourism in Pattaya a must challenge is to make better the air and water. For reduce pollution in the air an easy step will be to convert songteo to be electric or gas, a two years delay can be given to change or loose the license

my only issue as someone that wants to stay long is the rules are not consistent anywhere for any embassy for any visa.   I found on the Thai embassy website a document showing that any foreign national can apply for a multiple entry visa  at any Thai embassy or consulate in the world.    I can do it in Canada I could do it in Malta but all over the rest of south east asia, or western Europe it was a non starter.  I emailed the letter to the Thai embassy in Canada and as per them it is a current directive.  I think the best thing they could do is make it consistent and a uniform policy so people know what to expect. I love this country and I have had no issues with police. If people are overstaying or here illegally then throw the book at them and kick them out.

Any thing that encourages more people to come is a great thing.   The Thai baht should be lower but at the end of the day a darn good life can be had here for less than half the cost in the west no matter what the value of the Baht is.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:25 AM, Is this real said:

Respectively, Keith101, It's not the Baht, or the sunken boat that has crippled tourism.

Very few in Thailand understand what attracts a tourist from another country. 

The real problem is Thailand refuses to bring in a real expert who know tourism.  Bring in someone with experience in Las Vegas or New York City.  Then listen and implement their suggestions.

So, what do tourist want?

A good experience at a reasonable price.  β100 prices won't do it if the experience is poor.

The experience is poor because:

*Tourists are no longer welcomed.  In Phuket, beach policy is very restrictive.

*Timing.  If Thailand has a good attraction, it needs to be promoted for at least 3 months and then be in effect for at least 6 months.  Good tourists plan ahead.  Any promotion which is announced a month ahead of time, then expires after a month or two, will surely fail.

*Unsafe.  No enforcement of laws and tourists aren't treated fairly.

*Rip-offs.  From taxis to tuk-tuks, to two tier and price gouging.

*High Baht exchange rate.  While β100 isn't enough to attract anyone, a 17% rise in the Baht certainly will cost a tourist substantially.

*Eliminating tourist attractions.

Things will never change until someone in Thailand takes it seriously.

Thailand has, compared to neighboring countries a lot less attractions for first time tourists. Thailand has always served as a hub, stay 2 days and continue to Cambodia Myanmar or elsewhere.

1. Nice beaches, yes, have some. So does the Philippines too, a lot friendlier non-aggressive people, and English speaking too. Or Malaysia.

2. Cheaper? The low costs have always been the number one reason to come to Thailand. Now even Europe is cheaper

3. Welcoming attitude of nice people? Where are they??? I see towards foreigners aggression, disregard, carelessness, pure hate, they speak bad about everyone who is a non-Thai.

4. Beautiful nature? Still have some nice beaches, but beside that nothing else.

5. Culture? Sure but neighboring countries have more to offer.

6. Safe? Corrupt police, rip off of foreigners (and Thais), various Mafia organizations in tourists spots

So what else? Red light districts and open mind towards that business. Going down too, bars are closing corruption is not less but more, prices are skyrocketing, better options in neighboring countries.

Did you notice the recent advertising of Philippines? Special visas for retirement, welcoming all who would like to live and retire in the Philippines.

Why this strange and hostile Thailand can not offer real retirement options for foreigners ??? Instead a one year visa with 90days reporting? Why no residence permit? A retired person who moves to Thailand needs some assurance to not be thrown out after one year, depending on the good will of the immigration and being threatened by ever changing senseless regulations and their ever changing implementation by the immigration personnel.

Why cannot provide foreigners with a long term perspective? The answer is, because they don`t really want to have foreigners there. Farang, don't come, just send your money!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/28/2019 at 2:33 AM, ChipButty said:

Some of my friends went to Cancun on an all inclusive a lot less than Thailand and lots of things going on at the hotel for the kids

Are you kidding? Cancún es aborrido. No hay nada que hacer allí. En absoluto.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:40 PM, Jane Dough said:

Or go to Vietnam, where you can get a 3 month multi entry visa for around 3,000 baht, with zero paperwork. Don't even need to fill out an arrival card. All very welcoming ????........and a beer costs 20 baht! 

I can get one for $15. Officially.

7 hours ago, P100 said:

Are you coming? We hate you!! Are you not coming? We hate you!!

Thailand's tourism industry sometimes seems like a contest between greed and xenophobia, with one of both sides of this coin getting the upper hand every fortnight, with incompetence and ignorance also being part of the mix...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

You may call me cynical but I think Thailand are on to something. Make foreign tourists pay extra. Make sure they are ripped off by anyone with a tuk tuk or jet ski. Keep with any accident between a foreigner and Thai automatically absolves the Thai. Get rid of long term expats by filling their lives with over regulation. Eventually the numbers will drop to sufficiently affect the thai economy.

The baht drops. 

Remove restrictive legislation stop the dual pricing and other rip offs.

Thai tourism goes up Thailand makes more money.

The baht goes up.

Rinse and repeat.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:04 AM, colinneil said:

Introduce whatever kind of tourist visa you want, wont make any difference.

The way immigration clowns are acting will only deter tourists.

With the baht being kept artificially high is just another way of sending tourists to other countries.

This so-called government have absolutely no idea how to run a country, tourists are put off by that as well.

You're exactly correct.....and now they are deterring the Taiwanese too: New Thailand visa requires proof of finances from Taiwanese

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3827292?fbclid=IwAR33m-jnN5ALmihJo1Zt-LB7oqIdVrubJbyJT3HJb2EJsuqqSsfcE4T2zc8

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

The Baht dear Government, the Baht is 70% of the problem. Wealthy people don't come to Thailand,

only middle/low middle class come to the Land of Sadness.

Get the Baht back to a civilize level and Bob is your Uncle!

"All the Money I Earned trough Cheating, I Lost it by Earning it Honestly".