Road to CR better now?

cheeryble

As long as you take it slow, it is not too bad.  There is a good 10 to 15 kilometers of roadwork and it looks like it will be a while before they are finished.  It also looks to me as if they plan to expand the work area to new sections until they get pretty much the whole distance upgraded to four lane divided highway.

It was close to three weeks ago when I last drove the 118.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

As of one week ago, per G Friend NO. Now she is going back to C Rai tomorrow so I will get an update. Lover her family but as a suffer from motion sickness, must stay behind.  :whistling: 

We went last evening.

not too bad.

lomsak brilliant axcuse.

motion sickness.

why didn’t I think of that.?

• Haha 1

I assume you mean the 118 between CM and CR. I drove it last week, there and back. It's almost 45 km of construction - checked my odometer - from just outside Doi Saket to the Mae Kajan hot springs. It flows pretty well, and there are some passing lanes open. I considered going through Phrao, but Google maps says that's an hour  and 20 longer. I think, in total, the construction might shave 20 minutes off your best time, still better than any other route.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No it is not.  From Chiang Mai the best route is to drive to Lampang then take Highway 1 to Phayao then on to Chiang Rai.  It is a four-lane divided highway that goes through a beautiful National Park.    I just made the trip on the 26th.  I took the more direct way back just to see if it had improved and it was still a mess.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CM Dad said:

No it is not.  From Chiang Mai the best route is to drive to Lampang then take Highway 1 to Phayao then on to Chiang Rai.  It is a four-lane divided highway that goes through a beautiful National Park.    I just made the trip on the 26th.  I took the more direct way back just to see if it had improved and it was still a mess.

how long did it take on your extended trip

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 8:59 PM, Samuel Smith said:

Driving to CR early morning is no problem, traffic is light.  Last two times, came back via Thaton.  Great route & only about 25km longer than 118.

Have you- or anyone - taken the 109 to cross over to Fang? Google suggests this route from Chiang Rai to Fang.

I am not interested in the shortest but the more convenient route - easier to drive.

Any info on the 109 vs the 1089 will be appreciated.