Corrosion on motorhelmet

Thian

2 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

If you make one impact same this, your helmet survived but your brain ? Have have serious doubts about.

Agreed - a sledgehammer blow to the head with either helmet is likely to be a fatal blow.

However, don't take the video too literally, it's a good representation of the difference in quality between branded certified helmets and their 'look-a-likes'. 

In most cases its obvious that any helmet is better than no helmet, but hitting your head on the road while wearing a cheap helmet is far more likely to end with significantly more severe consequences than if you were wearing a fully certified branded helmet. 

What value would you place on your head?

In Thailand it is extremely uncomfortable to 'gear up'... Full face helmets, gloves boots, Riding jacket and pants - its just too hot and takes away from the fun of riding. 

There are a couple of known sayings... 'Dress for the slide, not the Ride'... or another 'ATGATT' (all the gear all the time). Its not impossible to follow, but when nipping around town it's just too hot, hence I find myself compromising with my own safety and leaving out the Jacket (with Back Protector) a lot of the time, and riding Pants most of the time... but still wearing the *Modular (Flip up) Helmet, gloves and trainers (never flip flops). 

*The Modular flip up helmet is a decent compromise, it can be flipped up at lights etc or when stationary. 

Sensible riding is by far the best safety tool we have. Choosing and wearing a decent helmet rather than a 'cheap imposter' surely comes a closely behind wearing any helmet in the first place. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed - a sledgehammer blow to the head with either helmet is likely to be a fatal blow.

However, don't take the video too literally, it's a good representation of the difference in quality between branded certified helmets and their 'look-a-likes'. 

In most cases its obvious that any helmet is better than no helmet, but hitting your head on the road while wearing a cheap helmet is far more likely to end with significantly more severe consequences than if you were wearing a fully certified branded helmet. 

What value would you place on your head?

In Thailand it is extremely uncomfortable to 'gear up'... Full face helmets, gloves boots, Riding jacket and pants - its just too hot and takes away from the fun of riding. 

There are a couple of known sayings... 'Dress for the slide, not the Ride'... or another 'ATGATT' (all the gear all the time). Its not impossible to follow, but when nipping around town it's just too hot, hence I find myself compromising with my own safety and leaving out the Jacket (with Back Protector) a lot of the time, and riding Pants most of the time... but still wearing the *Modular (Flip up) Helmet, gloves and trainers (never flip flops). 

*The Modular flip up helmet is a decent compromise, it can be flipped up at lights etc or when stationary. 

Sensible riding is by far the best safety tool we have. Choosing and wearing a decent helmet rather than a 'cheap imposter' surely comes a closely behind wearing any helmet in the first place. 

I  agree with what you say, in Europe all that is sold as road safety is of excellent quality and you are right to say that what is sold in Thailand has no guarantee of safety as even branded expensive helmets can be copied, I await the test that papa will do with curiosity and after I make also a test with my new helmet maybe later change my mind.

Thian - Unconscionable that the info provided by Schuberth was not even close to being accurate.

And them not addressing your problems just sucks.

illegitimi non carborundum

And that goes for some of the posts made on this thread.

Good luck in the future. Onward and Upward.

Edited by canthai55

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Thian - Unconscionable that the info provided by Schuberth was not even close to being accurate.

And them not addressing your problems just sucks.

illegitimi non carborundum

And that goes for some of the posts made on this thread.

Good luck in the future. Onward and Upward.

Yes i don't even read this thread anymore...Richard can have it to ruin....this post is only to turn the notifications of.

The only good thing was that after 3 mails of complaints Schuberth sent me to a servicepoint in Holland...they immediatly said it was unacceptable and they would fix it for me and deal with Schuberth as well...now that's what i expected and what i call good service.

I sent the pics to loads of dealers worldwide and they all are astonished and replied to me. I also got reply from Panda rider thailand, guess he thought i bought it from them....also, great english! His reply is below.

Louis.de a dealer in Germany even offered me to pay for shipping it to them so they could deal with it, that's also good service...the dealer RAD.eu where i bought it still never replied and i sent it to them last thursday...maybe they will do it today, maybe not...i can't be bothered though. Will never buy anything from Schuberth or made in Germany again, made in Japan it is from now on.

But i'm not going to bring it to Holland for repairs and haul it back to thailand. They might even just put a new lock in it, same lousy quality.

Hello,

If you have fast action from Schuberth, please contact to [email protected].

18 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes i don't even read this thread anymore...Richard can have it to ruin....this post is only to turn the notifications of.

The only good thing was that after 3 mails of complaints Schuberth sent me to a servicepoint in Holland...they immediatly said it was unacceptable and they would fix it for me and deal with Schuberth as well...now that's what i expected and what i call good service.

I sent the pics to loads of dealers worldwide and they all are astonished and replied to me. I also got reply from Panda rider thailand, guess he thought i bought it from them....also, great english! His reply is below.

Louis.de a dealer in Germany even offered me to pay for shipping it to them so they could deal with it, that's also good service...the dealer RAD.eu where i bought it still never replied and i sent it to them last thursday...maybe they will do it today, maybe not...i can't be bothered though. Will never buy anything from Schuberth or made in Germany again, made in Japan it is from now on.

But i'm not going to bring it to Holland for repairs and haul it back to thailand. They might even just put a new lock in it, same lousy quality.

Hello,

If you have fast action from Schuberth, please contact to [email protected].

Good that you have received a professional response - Now you may think I ruined the thread for you because I didn't agree with you in blaming the manufacturer and other comments of yours I disagreed with. 

You still need to understand how to correctly fit a helmet, to do this you need to understand your head shape.

Manufactures are not going to tell you what your head shape is - they can only tell you that their helmet suits certain head shapes. 

You have one link earlier on which outlines nearly all of the helmets made and the head-shape to which they are suited. 

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews-by-internal-shape/

In going solely Japanese you may be cutting out the option of a more suitably fitting helmet.

Here are some pictures which may better explain 'different' head shape to you.

If this doesn't help you - it will help others more susceptible to the information available out there. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 12.32.13.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 12.32.20.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 12.32.35.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 12.32.44.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 12.33.38.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good that you have received a professional response - Now you may think I ruined the thread for you because I didn't agree with you in blaming the manufacturer and other comments of yours I disagreed with. 

You still need to understand how to correctly fit a helmet, to do this you need to understand your head shape.

Manufactures are not going to tell you what your head shape is - they can only tell you that their helmet suits certain head shapes. 

You have one link earlier on which outlines nearly all of the helmets made and the head-shape to which they are suited. 

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews-by-internal-shape/

In going solely Japanese you may be cutting out the option of a more suitably fitting helmet.

Here are some pictures which may better explain 'different' head shape to you.

If this doesn't help you - it will help others more susceptible to the information available out there. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 12.32.13.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 12.32.20.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 12.32.35.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 12.32.44.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 12.33.38.png

Thank you it's very interesting, since I had no bike experience before coming to Thailand I understand now why the helmet is not like my head and also why Asians think so different, we are really two different species, this is not racism what I write, it's a statement

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Papa should say a removable liner is essential so it can be washed

True.

papa's liner goes in with the laundry every month or so,

but certain pieces, like the strap surrounds

don't remove.

23 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Thank you it's very interesting, since I had no bike experience before coming to Thailand I understand now why the helmet is not like my head and also why Asians think so different, we are really two different species, this is not racism what I write, it's a statement

Exactly the same statement could be made of other posters in this thread who have a different shaped head - We have different shaped head ergo we are two different species !!!...  erm... 

On 11/29/2019 at 12:35 PM, Kwasaki said:

My helmet has been fine bought it from Honda APS bike shop.

I wouldn't buy German or any helmet at silly prices the only difference is weight, my fullface H2C is light enough and what's important to me a comfortable fit.

i have an hjc, love it as far as helmets go. I had an arai a few years back, but that went walkabout, the hjc compares for comfort.

no rust going on 4 or 5 years

23 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

its a racist statement.

4 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Because you have a round head and you felt offended, look at the pictures and give me another explanation. I didn't offend anyone to tell the truth.

sure ya did. 

why Asians think so different, we are really two different species

must be a translation issue.

anyways this not the place, and i cant be bothered with a circular argument.

you just keep on being you.

have a nice day.

Edited by metempsychotic

19 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Because you only care about your head and forget about the rest of your body

Really ? So why do I wear a vented jacket with armor, pants the same, boots the same, gloves the same ?

You make assumptions based on nothing but conjecture.

34 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

sure ya did. 

must be a translation issue.

anyways this not the place, and i cant be bothered with a circular argument.

you just keep on being you.

have a nice day.

I'm sorry but I have to give you an explanation to clarify your answer, the anthropologists study the various races that appeared on earth and are based mainly on the study of the skull to know the manual and intellectual abilities that the various human races on earth have had, now to see that Asians and Europeans have a different form of head does not want absolutely nothing of the racism but on the other hand indicates well a different form of intellectual capacity with lobes of the brain developed in more or less different and it can be inferred that the forms of formations of the thought and ability are different between our races and therefore it is not surprising that many times communication is complicated. To say that one race is superior to another is racism but the difference between races and only knowledge and information.

Have a nice day

15 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Really ? So why do I wear a vented jacket with armor, pants the same, boots the same, gloves the same ?

You make assumptions based on nothing but conjecture.

Because you are so lazy not to look at what I sent you and that could save your life, not tell thank you

50 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Because you only care about your head and forget about the rest of your body, see here you may like the same as all those in the forum who use motorcycles

https://www.motoairbag.com/welcome

You made the assumption that a 'forum' members only care about a helmet, this isn't quite so true, many forum members are highly safety conscious on their bikes and wear more than just their helmet, while others just wear a plastic lid - we have the whole spectrum of behavior. 

That said, your comment ring true for many in that its not just about a helmet.... i.e.  'dress for the slide not the ride', but, its not always comfortable to do so in Thailand. 

The Motor-bag is a great way to protect the back, but its still always so difficult to protect from road-rash. 

400 Euro (13,500 baht) to protect your back from spinal injury. 

One problem is ordering that into Thailand will involve a significant amount of additional tax !! rather annoying for a safety product. 

Now that we are fully aware of head injury and wearing proper helmets it would make sense that we are also highly aware of risks to our spine.

I wear the Rev'it Airwave Jacket, with inserted back protector 'most of the time' because sometimes its just too hot if nipping 1km down the road, but when I'm traveling on main-streets and anticipate that I may be traveling 80kmh etc at times I deliberately 'gear up'.

I have a pair of Riding pants on now (zip-off), so they're shorts (skid resistant) with hip protection. I'm about to pop out across town, so will wear my 'street riding boots', Shoe Neotec (modular helmet), Rev'it jacket and gloves... which is a 'NATGATT' ('nearly' all the gear all the time). 

There is a balance between comfort, i.e. in this climate wearing too many clothes just takes the enjoyment out of even the simple rides around town to such a degree that I may as well accept the traffic and sit in the comfort of a car.

What price safety? - for most of us its a compromise otherwise we wouldn't be on a motorcycle in the first place. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2019 at 2:28 AM, Thian said:

Which brand of helmets do you guys use? Are they also rusty at the lock or anywhere else? 

I don't mean a cheap Index helmet but a high quality brand with ECE certifications.

I had exactly the same issue with the C3 Pro, bought in 2016, rusted worse than your own by 2018, I took it to Panda and they replaced the metallic buckle with one from another helmet. which is now going down the same path despite being stored in an aircon room when not used, also the zippers to remove the cheekpads are getting corroded and difficult to remove. I believe it's a combination of the tropical climate and the fact that my head is constantly sweating riding here, I was as suprised as you with this result from this brand and at 20000 baht only bought it as at the time it was billed as the lightest modular helmet with great ventilation but I certainly won't spend that amount on any helmet in the future.

Storing a helmet in an air conditioned room should not be a requirement for a helmet to survive a few years. Corrosion is simple to prevent with the right materials. A helmet costing several hundred USD has zero excuse to use metals that corrode as easily. I have plenty of cheap little things made from metals that don't corrode even after sitting years in some place without air conditioning.