Before: Pattaya never sleeps! After: Everyone in bed by 11 pm: Resort is dead say Thais

webfact

24 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

80s weekend at Butlin's is cheap and cheerful and doesn't involve an expensive 6k mile flight.  You might even get lucky and catch Kajagoogoo live.  

Butlins is no longer cheap. And definitely not cheerful. It's like saving up all year to take your family to a gulag.

Edited by SteveK
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Its still affordable but just not good value anymore. When it costs $5 or more for a local beer to look at a dirty beach with electrical cables hanging everywhere, breathing in black smog from pick ups and buses plus a nasty smell...you expect to pay a dollar...which it was not so long ago...get that with rudeness and rips from the moment you are off the plane

Great comment. When the beer was $1 you could forgive the holes in the pavement, the hundreds of overhanging electrical cables, the rodents and the flying insects. At $5 you would just go somewhere else as it seems everyone with a brain is now doing.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Traubert said:

China has a 786 mile border with Vietnam. The Chinese always went to Vietnam.

It's not an 'instead' thing.

Yeah, they tried going over that border back in the late seventies, they weren't welcomed then either

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Butlins is no longer cheap. And definitely not cheerful. It's like saving up all year to take your family to a gulag.

I don't go personally and don't have big family.  Though, sure it's cheaper than two weeks in LOS particularly with the current exchange rate.  

1 minute ago, torturedsole said:

Never been asked to produce my passport and I don't subscribe to a Xerox of my passport page as I can't be bothered as not required.  

A relaxed attitude, a bit of banter and production of required documentation will see one clear of any further nonsense.  RTP really aren't that bad if you play the game.  I've had more trouble with the old bill in the UK. 

yep, me too. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

A credible Government and Local Authority in this kind of scenario, would now be thinking " Now is the time to inject huge amounts of Money Etc into Pattaya in order to bring it into the present time.

Pattaya is stale, to say the least. It has been on a downturn in many ways for 5 years or more now.

The City is covered in nothing but Concrete, there are no Green spaces, the Infrastructure is at best shoddy, and its controlled mainly by Criminal Gangs.

Time for a  radical rethink on what is Pattaya, and what is needed from the City going into the future.

Or, is it not even worth the effort and expense of saving ?

Here's the nice gentlemen in charge who have done their bit to earn it's title of world class resort destination. What could go possibly wrong ? And this was the mayor's dad https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somchai_Khunpluem

dd5a3914e6d6f50f6296d6783d10d80a.jpeg

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Spellforce said:

I was talking about the expats who are living in the dark side.

That population was helping the beers bar to survive in the low season and regular/lower the price.

Grab Taxi DONT work after midnight ! There was a time when police close their eyes on those farangs going home after a few beers but that's no more the case.

Those regular customers have gone as the cheap & happy beer bars.... cf. the topic, Pattaya now looks like a desert after 11PM !

But you have still the option of the gogo bars... who have raised their price X2 X3 ... because they only target the tourists !

When the army got their snouts in the cop's trough they realized how much swill was in there and have drunk deeply on it ever since. Which meant the cops have to widen their net to get the same money back for their bosses. It has never been a better time to be a big wig in the Thai army ever. 

52 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Yeah, they tried going over that border back in the late seventies, they weren't welcomed then either

Neither were the Americans 20 years earlier.

But getting back to tourism...... ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's because it's expensive and filthy (not in a good way ????)

I'm currently in Cancun and the hotel zone is spotless, no trash at all. The beaches are groomed and again spotless. No plastic waste.bwalked from one end to the other both on the beach and on the road. No litter at all. Lots and of security even in the entertainment zones.

The Thai authorities need to get off their high horses and actually open their minds. 

They talk about "big spending" tourist. Where I am staying in Cancun has 3 luxury malls one after the other. Let me tell you, there won't be 3 of them in a row if there is big spenders.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, farangchuma said:

This is exactly what I wanted when I wrote an open letter to Thailand. The city of Pattya is a joke known for low quality sexpat farangs' heaven for finding a bride thirty years younger to them. It is an adult Disley land for sexpat farangs. The things they can do in Thailand with a crane operator or a high school educated factory worker's  salary in the West, farangs could never do with their entire family's income in the West. I wanted to remind Thailand why farangs come to Thailand. They don't come to Thailand for its temples, food, arts and cultute. They only come for sex. In my open letter to thailand, I challeged Thailand to name another country where farangs have married to more sex workers than Thailand and also challeged Thailand to name a country that has solved its poverty by pimping nations' daughters to farangs in marrage. In coming months, I'm publishing more open letters to Thailand to expose how not to become a heaven for sexpat farangs and a bride mill for older farangs. 

You'd best keep your nose out of it. You're only gonna make things worse for those still there.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Asking for a friend said:

Living near bars ???? oh you poor sod no wonder you think Pattaya = All of Thailand

Go live in downtown Las Vegas for a month and tell me what living in the U.S. is like. ???? 

I don't have that problem but folk in the block in lower floors near the street side do. So was using it as part of the moaning expat narrative. And it's Jomtien btw not Pattaya - Buddha forbid !