Thais need to drink more milk, says DFPOT

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, justin case said:

WHO research suggests iodine deficiency accounts for losses of between 10 and 15 IQ points. However, according to Thailand’s 2012 Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey, only 71% of Thai households consume enough iodised salt, falling to 54% in the poorest households. There is again a huge regional disparity, with 82% of households in Bangkok and only 54% of households in Thailand’s Northeast consuming adequately iodised salt. The regions with the lowest IQs are those same areas with the highest iodine deficiency.

Iodized salt is not a healthy salt (when compared to pink Himalayan, sea salt or other natural salts) since it is void of most minerals and other goodies that natural salts have.  It is also a major contributor to hypertension.  Seaweed is a much better source of iodine (as are other alternatives). 

Why doesn't it surprise me that the WHO is promoting a higher consumption of cheap, industrialized and unhealthy iodized salt?  Though the WHO has made some progress in recommending more healthy options (very few), they fail miserably most of the time and I could go into that more but then I might be called a conspiracy theorist... so I will leave it at that.

11 hours ago, Antonymous said:

If you want to continue building those muscles and staying healthy for another 45 years Robblok, I recommend to you to watch The Game Changers documentary produced by James Cameron, Arnold Swarzenegger and Jackie Chan. Its available on Netflix. Supported by scientific studies throughout the film, various world top athletes, including the strongest man in the world, explain how they managed to improve their performance and health substantially after cutting out animal protein and milk from their diets. The section showing a doctor analysing and comparing the blood of athletes extracted after they had eaten just one meal of animal protein, against those who ate veggies, is astounding. Milk apparently has the longest lasting negative effect.

Everyone concerned for their health should watch it. It will open your eyes and maybe your arteries.

I don't believe for a moment that Swarzenegger did not eat animal proteins. So whatever he is on at this time is not what he did during his carreer. Sorry I keep consuming animal proteins and milk. 

10 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Exactly. It's clear that current science has not been an informative one, largely due to the food and pharma industries ignoring the solid evidence against consumption of meat and dairy, because - let's be blunt - there's no profit in promoting whole food plant based nutrition. Hence the increasing rise of fast food chains introducing junk vegan burgers, instead.

BTW - the list of young well-known bodybuilders dying at an early age (around 45) is an alarming statistic - albeit I suspect that steroids are the cause (as protein is insufficient to maintain extensive muscle growth). 

That list is far smaller then the list of overweight people dying from doing nothing. So I am not too worried. And of course steroids always play a role in bodybuilders especially top bodybuilders what they use is insane.

I still dont believe a think of going threehugger diet. There is just not enough evidence to support it sure there is some research but countless research to counter it. 

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't believe for a moment that Swarzenegger did not eat animal proteins. So whatever he is on at this time is not what he did during his carreer. Sorry I keep consuming animal proteins and milk. 

This movie is misleading but it has good production. 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/25/arnold-schwarzenegger-hands-out-free-turkeys-for-thanksgiving-because-hes-an-absolute-gent-11218380/

Just now, Tayaout said:

Is that not a contradiction.. movie misleading but has good production ? But seriously I will watch the movie but so far the real scientific evidence i seen just does not match up with claims being made. Its more a fact that if you dont eat animal proteins its hard to get enough proteins (if you want to build muscle not if you just want to be an average guy)  and vegetable proteins are inferior to animal proteins. 

1 hour ago, justin case said:

you also have infections, puss and others that goes into the milk

That is well wrong any cow that has an infection and it injected with any antibiotics ,the milk can not be sent for 3-4 days ,any farmed farmer found with antibiotics in they milk get fined 30 days production ,enough to put some producers out of bushiness,milk is checked by the milk center the farmer sends his milk to .

Milk center near here sent a 15 ton load of milk to a factory in Bangkok,the factory found antibiotics in the milk ,they would not except that load ,it had to be discarded 

As  for pus and other going in to milk that is BS ,again milk is checked a Total Bacteria Count ,TBC ,if the TBC is high money is docked from that that months income.  

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Is that not a contradiction.. movie misleading but has good production ? But seriously I will watch the movie but so far the real scientific evidence i seen just does not match up with claims being made. Its more a fact that if you dont eat animal proteins its hard to get enough proteins (if you want to build muscle not if you just want to be an average guy)  and vegetable proteins are inferior to animal proteins. 

The movie is misleading because it is not based on science but they make it looks like it is. It is well produced and is believable for non scientific peoples. If you search youtube it is already debunked by actual doctor. 

Vegan keep saying there is no money to be made by promoting plant based food. The standard American diet is already close to 70% plant based. There is evidence that the movie was funded by the fake meat industry: https://link.medium.com/dGx3rPGy21

All these are misleading advertisements.

The reason why East Asians don't drink cow's milk is because they are lactose intolerant.

They should know better than that to drink milk when they are teenager and adults. 

Thai people can drink soya bean milk and other grains milk but not the western style cows' milk.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

The reason why East Asians don't drink cow's milk is because they are lactose intolerant.

Not just East Asians.  Many people from all around the world are lactose intolerant and most don't even know it or make the connection.  I suffered from severe abdominal pains, gas and bloating every time I consumed milk or dairy for years (until I figured out why). 

If the body does not like something it will let you know, but sometimes it is very subtle and can take years before the blow back is apparent (same as smoking cigarettes, excessive alcohol consumption, drug use, poor diet etc).

The KEY word is "secure the customer base of the Thai-Denmark brand 

Thai-Denmark is a state enterprise produced by the Dairy Farming Promotion Organization of Thailand. So, remember, every Thai-Denmark dairy product you drink is like a tax you pay to the Kingdom. Business is business, and state enterprises also want your money!

Continue... "The event is expected to help the Thai-Denmark state enterprise earn revenue by expanding the market as well as preventing an oversupply of milk in the future. It is also in line with the government’s policy to encourage people to take care of their health.  (lol)"

I don't believe any of the fear mongers against milk. Both my mother and father grew up on a dairy farm and drank whole milk (unpasteurized) with full cream their whole lives. Us kids were fed the same. We are doing just fine.  I still drink over 1 gallon a week. Blood tests are all good.

11 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

I don't believe any of the fear mongers against milk. Both my mother and father grew up on a dairy farm and drank whole milk (unpasteurized) with full cream their whole lives. Us kids were fed the same. We are doing just fine.  I still drink over 1 gallon a week. Blood tests are all good.

Well if you like it then you can keep drinking it, it's your choice.  When you get older and start having bouts of pneumonia, I would suggest you give it up at that point.  An overabundance of mucous buildup in the body is just one side effect of consuming cow's milk and dairy products.

Just the thought of what it actually is and where it actually comes from is disgusting to me when I think about it now, but to each his own.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I went on a vegan diet a few years ago for 4 months. I lost no muscle or tone. I was telling my gym owner about it and she said I looked the same. I told her I got a lot of protein from soy and beans. I now alternate from Vegan to non-vegan. Vegetable proteins "might" be inferior to animal proteins in some regard but your comment about "average" guy is silly. If you want to walk around looking like Arnold then eat eat eat all the dead animals you can and don't forget to take your steroids. If you don't want to live a healthy life without all the concerns about the effect of steroids and all the drugs/antibiotics in  dead animals then feel free but don't refer to people who don't spend 70% of their day worried about how big their muscles are or what they just ate as "average".

28 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

My mother has been a heavy smoker since she was 13.  She's now 94 with a pair of healthy lungs.

The point being, there are always exceptions.

2 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

If you don't want to live a healthy life without all the concerns about the effect of steroids and all the drugs/antibiotics in  dead animals then feel free

Agreed.  Arthritis is also a major factor for those who consumed large amounts of animal proteins over a long period of time.  Ask any body builder in his 50s or 60s (even the clean steroid free body builders) and they will tell you.  I know 1st hand as I ate more meat and animal products than anyone I know for my entire adult life.  Arthritis in the hips, both knees, fingers and ankle is what I ended up with (and compromised kidneys). 

As soon as I got off the meat and dairy and started eating mostly fruits I noticed a huge improvement almost immediately and now my arthritis is nearly gone.  This is a fact. 

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

My mother has been a heavy smoker since she was 13.  She's now 94 with a pair of healthy lungs.

The point being, there are always exceptions.

Yes there are exceptions.

Healthy lungs?  I doubt that but she must have had some good genes to see 94, I'll give her that.

My grandfather started smoking Camel unfiltered cigarettes at age 12 and smoked 2 packs a day until he was 72.  He was also an alcoholic and loved his whiskey but quit that at 72 also.  He died about 3 months later in his sleep (probably due to the shock that his body endured when he quit smoking and drinking cold turkey).  He never got lung cancer or cirrhosis of the liver (but he did get diabetes).  I wonder how log he would have lasted if he never smoked or drank excessively?

My father is 90 now (he never smoked and drank only beer, but he used to be a heavy alcoholic) and he's still going strong.

52 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Healthy lungs?  I doubt that but she must have had some good genes to see 94, I'll give her that.

My grandfather started smoking Camel unfiltered cigarettes at age 12 and smoked 2 packs a day until he was 72.  He was also an alcoholic and loved his whiskey but quit that at 72 also.  He died about 3 months later in his sleep (probably due to the shock that his body endured when he quit smoking and drinking cold turkey).  He never got lung cancer or cirrhosis of the liver (but he did get diabetes).  I wonder how log he would have lasted if he never smoked or drank excessively?

My father is 90 now (he never smoked and drank only beer, but he used to be a heavy alcoholic) and he's still going strong.

Looks like you are on track to make it to your 90's as well MeePee. If you make it to 90 I'll buy you a drink and I'll make sure it isn't milk. ???? 

7 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

I went on a vegan diet a few years ago for 4 months. I lost no muscle or tone. I was telling my gym owner about it and she said I looked the same. I told her I got a lot of protein from soy and beans. I now alternate from Vegan to non-vegan. Vegetable proteins "might" be inferior to animal proteins in some regard but your comment about "average" guy is silly. If you want to walk around looking like Arnold then eat eat eat all the dead animals you can and don't forget to take your steroids. If you don't want to live a healthy life without all the concerns about the effect of steroids and all the drugs/antibiotics in  dead animals then feel free but don't refer to people who don't spend 70% of their day worried about how big their muscles are or what they just ate as "average".

Ah an other convert usually worse then the guys who start it from the start kinda like religious converts (or guys that went from smoking to non smoking). Sorry if I dont follow you in your life i chose my own. 

Not might be is, science says so and if you dont believe in science then sure. There is research enough proving this. That you might not have lost muscle tone is quite possible. The top guys are different from average guys.

I will call people like that average all I want, as that is what they are average. I don't worry much about losing muscle tone. I just went on a holiday and havent trained in a while and I could not care less. I lost around 5 kg or more leaner then ever without ever having to cut out any animal proteins. Lots of eggs, chicken or other meat. No dairy but that was because it was not available. 

With average I mean nog fanatic gym goers, fanatic gym goers still grow best on animal proteins. If you add steroids you grow even better. Steroids are bad for you, but I do TRT works nice too. I have no worries about how big, if big was my goal then I would have to add loads of steroids.

I keep my faith in science and animal proteins are complete and plant based not. Therefor you need to do much more to get the same right stuff if you go plant based then if you just keep it with animal based.

7 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Agreed.  Arthritis is also a major factor for those who consumed large amounts of animal proteins over a long period of time.  Ask any body builder in his 50s or 60s (even the clean steroid free body builders) and they will tell you.  I know 1st hand as I ate more meat and animal products than anyone I know for my entire adult life.  Arthritis in the hips, both knees, fingers and ankle is what I ended up with (and compromised kidneys). 

As soon as I got off the meat and dairy and started eating mostly fruits I noticed a huge improvement almost immediately and now my arthritis is nearly gone.  This is a fact. 

Any bodybuilder ? I asked plenty of the old guys on forums, guess what no problems. Not sure where you got your info from and the kidney thing has been debunked too. 

This is a marketing ploy, clear as day, as they even stated in the article. It's the same marketing as 50-60 years ago, but today's product is no where near the same. This ain't Ma and Pa's farm any more. Milk consumption is going down globally as people get wiser to it's ties to illnesses as well as the fact that cattle farming is a huge contributor to CO² and global warming. Yes, cow farts, not to mention the huge agricultural food and water resources needed to keep factory farming in operation. There are 1.5 Billion cattle in the world, 264 Million are dairy cows. No other species drinks milk to such a late stage in life as humans, and we aren't even drinking the milk of our own species. Hormones used in factory farming, BHT and BHA additives are banned in many countries, veterinary antibiotics, and the pus tainted purity of milk have me extremely sceptical. Do you trust any industry these days where the only real motive is profit and upward growth?

On 11/30/2019 at 11:12 AM, tingtong said:

this list will put things in perspective.

then factor in the household income too....

milk is <deleted>' expensive in Thailand, a luxury item. period.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_price_rankings?itemId=8

I have to agree, the price seems crazy, I saw a little 8oz (I think) bottle at 711 the other day was 25baht, that's a dollar CDN. I'm pretty sure you could buy about a liter for that price back home.

15 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

My Father drank couple bottles of wine most of his adult life. Died at 92 but did have BP problems and suffered couple strokes and heart attacks - ate cheese and dead animals.

4 hours ago, BobBKK said:

My Father drank couple bottles of wine most of his adult life. Died at 92 but did have BP problems and suffered couple strokes and heart attacks - ate cheese and dead animals.

I guess the message is that everyone is different. Different health issues, different genes, different quality of food consumed, different stress levels to deal with at work and home, different quality of life, different everything. No need for anyone to tell others how to live, eat, etc. We are all responsible for ourselves and the most important thing is that we are happy in life. One person's happiness is not another's happiness. One persons opinion of being rich in life is not another's opinion. Some need more in life to be happy, some need much more and many need far less to be happy. It doesn't matter how much a person has. What matters is if you are happy. 

On 12/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, HuskerDo said:

how many years of that was free range cows eating grass instead of the industrial cows fed grain and injected with antibiotics...

big big difference

same as for bread...people ate it for thousands of years, till everything is spray with chemicals

you want to go to polio ... what if I told you polio epidemic is possibly caused by the introduction of DDT... you know that dangerous chemical banned since decades but still used in many countries or just found in the soil because of it's long half life

On 11/29/2019 at 4:32 AM, MeePeeMai said:

Right - "Thais need to have more mucous - says DOPFT"

Dairy products are probably THE highest mucous forming foods and should be avoided like the plague.  I grew up on milk and dairy products and had constant colds, flu, runny nose, bronchitis and many other symptoms which can now be attributed to consumption of milk and dairy products (milk and chocolate milk, cheeses, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, kefer, butter, canned condensed milk, powdered milk etc).

Many reputable medical websites say there is no evidence that consuming dairy products increases the production of mucous.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/expert-answers/phlegm/faq-20058015

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2154152

If you have an old wife, don't believe her tales.  If you have a young wife, bully for you????

10 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Many reputable medical websites say

And you will believe these studies which were funded by the Dairy Milk Farmers Association of America? LOL

If I have learned one thing about Western Medicine over the years it would be that money talks and the truth be damned.

Just how many times over the past decades have they flip flopped and completely done a 180 when giving their guidelines or recommendations, diet suggestions etc.

Sorry but I am prepared to stand alone here on this one and be perfectly happy doing so!

2 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

And you will believe these studies which were funded by the Dairy Milk Farmers Association of America? LOL

And your study of the relevant literature was published when and was funded by who?

Archived