Can I challenge an import duty charge?

pomozki

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Nope, they always tax the shipping cost, this is standard around the world

So busy trying to prove someone wrong you misunderstood. The point was can he prove the item cost is less than customs estimated value of 4000, which includes the 800

20 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Customs may think they're wise to a package marked gift....but how do they prove it?

They don't have too, you have to prove "otherwise" to them, which unless it off high value not worth the time and effort.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

No double taxing on shipping is NOT the standard around the world because shipping fees are already taxed at the source when the parcel is mailed

Only in Thailand is duty charged on shipping because they can and their is nothing you can do about it 

Nonsense.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Taxing on shipping fees is standard. I know this for a fact. You pay tax on the total amount that is inclusive shipping. Not sure where you get your idea's. I am working with tax on a day to day base and this happens in Netherlands too. Otherwise smart sellers would put huge shipping cost and low product cost and avoid taxes. Does not work like that. 

How do you think that shipping fees are taxed at the source can you explain how you think this works. 

Roblock's right, it's called CIF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:
8 hours ago, ukrules said:

Nope, they always tax the shipping cost, this is standard around the world

So busy trying to prove someone wrong you misunderstood. The point was can he prove the item cost is less than customs estimated value of 4000, which includes the 800

What you don't understand is that the duty is levied not on the cost, (proven or not, that's irrelevant), it's the value that Customs look for and the value is not necessarily the same as the price paid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What you don't understand is that the duty is levied not on the cost, (proven or not, that's irrelevant), it's the value that Customs look for and the value is not necessarily the same as the price paid.

Of course I do. It seems it is others who don't. If it was a commercial transaction with order/invoice attached with Harmonized Code etc. it would be straight forward.

(Order/invoice cost + shipping x duty) + (Order/invoice cost + shipping x VAT)= total due.

This value vs cost confusion probably happens every time someone buys something "used" on-line. Both customs and immigration have the same "At the discretion of" powers.

People should stick to answering the questions instead of trying to one-up the posters.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Of course I do. It seems it is others who don't. If it was a commercial transaction with order/invoice attached with Harmonized Code etc. it would be straight forward.

(Order/invoice cost + shipping x duty) + (Order/invoice cost + shipping x VAT)= total due.

This value vs cost confusion probably happens every time someone buys something "used" on-line. Both customs and immigration have the same "At the discretion of" powers.

People should stick to answering the questions instead of trying to one-up the posters.

"People should stick to answering the questions instead of trying to one-up the posters".

I did, post 7, "Customs departments worldwide are wise to that "gift" trick! 

The invoice may help but it may not as the duty is based on Customs' valuation of the item, not the price paid for it".

Presumably your last sentence in that comment includes you also, yes?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

many thanks to everyone who posted replies to this - and apologies. I've been quite sick, in and out of hospital, and didn't follow up on this. I went to the post office about 2 weeks ago and they replied yesterday saying they'd agreed to drop the import duty from 1,562 baht to 380, a saving of about 1,200 baht.
I'm rapt with that and I'm happy they didn't think I was "gaming the system" which 1-2 people here seemed to think and I found remarkable.
But I also take the point that getting a bargain from overseas isn't always worth it here in Thailand - you're at the mercy of officials and not everyone can be bothered challenging their decisions. Anyway, I'm hoping I'll be up to fetching the machine tomorrow, Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1