My electric shower is driving me crazy – Would a booster pump help?

tomgreen

I live in a small village and our house stands alone at the end of a street , the house water supply is fed into the house from a government water meter out side the house gate . The pipe from the water meter into the house looks like ½ inch blue plastic type . The actual water supply comes from a communal water pumping station that supply's the whole village . 

As our house is situated at the far end of the street the piped water pressure is generally ok  , but some times it increase in pressure and other times it slows right down.

Our electrical shower unit has a sensor that detects the water pressure coming into the shower and if that water pressure should drop , then the internal shower heating element switches off and the water coming out of the shower head becomes cold, until the water pressure builds back up and the sensor then switches the heating element back on . During a shower this on / off hot / cold water scenario can happen several times while showering , which is driving me crazy.????

I was wondering if its possible to install a shower booster pump that would help in some way but as the water pressure to our house some times fluctuates I was wondering if installing a shower booster pump would be a good idea or just make things worse????

Any suggestions or advice welcome 

A booster pump would certainly solve your problem, but you would have to install a tank as well. It is illegal to connect a pump directly to the water supply.

If you don't want to pressurize the whole house you can choose a small tank and a 'power shower' pump available from DIY stores. I saw some in Global House recently.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The proper solution would be a buffer tank that fills from the supply and pump that feeds the house from the tank.

Something like this:-

pump setup 2.jpg

I have a setup like this at home. However, I still don’t get good enough pressure from my electric showers in my upstairs bathrooms. Will installing an electric shower with a built in boost pump help? Is so, any recommendations of brands?

ps: I should add that the pressure going to the normal taps at the basins are fine

Edited by Gweiloman
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If you are getting good pressure at taps on the same level as the shower it's worth checking the flexy pipes and gauze filters.

If you can locate a shower with a boost pump it would likely help but I've not seen any available for sale here.

It’s not that the shower pressure isn’t good (it’s normal by Thai standards). It’s just that I like very strong pressures to feel really clean after a shower. I have seen in HomePro where they sell electric shower units with supposedly a booster pump (or some other mechanism to boost the water pressure). 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I have seen in HomePro where they sell electric shower units with supposedly a booster pump (or some other mechanism to boost the water pressure). 

Not from HomePro but I have one from Malaysia. But only 3.8Kw  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely go for the tank / pump, it's not an expensive solution, 500L tank is sufficient for a normal day's use and also helps when the water is cut off for a couple of hours. 

Please install correctly with the valves and taps as described and you will never have an issue with the thing.

It's a lot better than 'repeatedly being spat upon' by a normal Thai style shower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

The proper solution would be a buffer tank that fills from the supply and pump that feeds the house from the tank.

Something like this:-

pump setup 2.jpg

great job, you beat me to it as I had exactly that set up in my previous home

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

great job, you beat me to it as I had exactly that set up in my previous home

Here's one I made earlier, the date on the file is August 2013, it's been used on many occasions to illustrate what's needed ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Crossy said:

Here's one I made earlier, the date on the file is August 2013, it's been used on many occasions to illustrate what's needed ????

was really impressed because the majority of people don't understand the all diagram/process, I did a hand drawing to show to the plumber back in 2015, wish I had checked yours at that time would have saved time and aggravation, thanks

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I have a setup like this at home. However, I still don’t get good enough pressure from my electric showers in my upstairs bathrooms. Will installing an electric shower with a built in boost pump help? Is so, any recommendations of brands?

ps: I should add that the pressure going to the normal taps at the basins are fine

Have to checked any /all filters in the shower head, heater and connecting hoses - plus some heater units a flow control valve internal of the casing. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks every one for your advice and suggestions. :thumbsup:

I’m not really interested in improving the water pressure to the whole house only my electric shower. ( But then again if the cost difference between the equipment / installation for improving the water pressure to the whole house Vs only my shower,  is not that different  , then may be the whole house idea may be better . ) 

so have I got this right ...

Automatic Pump - Link https://www.lazada.co.th/products/eisen-ps-370al-370w-i376850741-s733598282.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.9.940941a8RrPFZ3&search=1

Main.jpg

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

5 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Electric showers with booster pumps are not at all common.

Your problem is (if the situation is not new) that your pump is too small.

If it is a new problem then you need to clean out the filters on the upstairs showers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Doesn't stop people doing it. Half the street at least where I lived had that set up. 

There are some quite small normal looking water pumps. say 80W. If the shower is on the ground floor. Less than 5000 baht. 

I use one of these to pump drinking water from rain filled ongs to a second faucet in the kitche, works great and is only 1450 baht from Laxada:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/clinton-automatic-well-pump-model-ps-145a-i108594749-s110074084.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.4873650bvzvq0u&search=1

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tomgreen said:

so have I got this right ...

Pretty much. The non-return valve next to the pump (inside the dotted line) is usually part of the pump unit so you don't need another.

Of course our Grundfos is the exception to the rule and came with a separate valve (easy to replace when it started leaking).

I would be tempted to use a bigger pump if the shower is upstairs, talk to your local pump shop, they should be able to recommend a unit suitable for your home.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Pretty much. The non-return valve next to the pump (inside the dotted line) is usually part of the pump unit so you don't need another.

Of course our Grundfos is the exception to the rule and came with a separate valve (easy to replace when it started leaking).

I would be tempted to use a bigger pump if the shower is upstairs, talk to your local pump shop, they should be able to recommend a unit suitable for your home.

Thanks its appreciated:thumbsup:

In the past where I live I have had dealings with the two local Thai ‘’ plumbers ‘’ and the outcome was not a good one???? . So I’m fairly confident that I could install all the equipment my self . Ive decided the way to go would be a system for the whole house water supply . One area where I’m currently stuck is buying the right size or pump and water storage tank . We only have a small house ( bungalow style ) so no upper floors and ....

one automatic washing machine
one kitchen sink
one toilet room with one toilet WC one hand basin and one electric shower
two out side taps for a hose pipe to water the garden 

So overall not a big demand for water .

So estimating the size of booster pump and outside water tank and plastic water pipe size is an area where I could do with some advice ????

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

A 500 or 1000 litre tank should do you, don't get one of the cheap blue ones (they can grow algae as they're not completely opaque), go for something of the sandstone or similar make. Your tank will need a nice solid base, ensure there are no stones underneath the tank to cause annoying leaks. 

Don't get the absolute smallest pump, I'd go for something 300 - 400W range. 

Your pump will probably have 1" connections, make as much of your pipework as possible that size (the tank fill size can be whatever the incoming supply already is, ours is 3/4").

Note that the cheap pumps can get noisy under load, so think about where you locate it.

Many thanks :thumbsup:

I don't really understand the the need for the pipe work ( shown in Red ) ? 

Main:2.jpg

The red pipe is a bypass so that you get at least some water pressure when the power is off or the pump is kaput.

Some replace the NR valve with a regular stop valve which is normally kept closed, open to bypass.

EDIT You may want to add a cheap polyester filter to the incoming supply pipe to keep the crunchy bits out of your tank. We have pretty clean water (we're only 500m from the treatment plant) but our incoming filter is the colour of stewed tea after a couple of months.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The red pipe is a bypass so that you get at least some water pressure when the power is off or the pump is kaput.

Some replace the NR valve with a regular stop valve which is normally kept closed, open to bypass.

EDIT You may want to add a cheap polyester filter to the incoming supply pipe to keep the crunchy bits out of your tank. We have pretty clean water (we're only 500m from the treatment plant) but our incoming filter is the colour of stewed tea after a couple of months.

Thanks , the filter sounds a very good idea as I am constantly cleaning sand from the washing machine water hose filter . The pump noise I had not thought about . I am planning to install the pump and tank on a concrete base not far from our house back door where theres all ready a mains voltage power outlet.

Filter.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Did it improve the shower pressure? I go regularly to Malaysia so no problem to buy one there. 

Haven't installed it yet (in between homes) but the one I experienced in Malaysia had good pressure, hence my decision to buy.

• Like 1