Phuket Internet Speed

thaigerd

Since a couple of weeks now the speed of my ADSL TOT connection is getting worse.

On some days it's better to use my old dial-up modem cause it's much faster than ADSL.

I am living in Kathu area.

Would like to hear your experience with internet here in Phuket and if you have similar probs.

Have a nice weekend all!

Gerd

S-L-O-W

Since about 4 or 5 days ago I've noticed a slow down not only in my home (TOT ADSL 1024/512)

but also at work (True dedicated lease line 512/512)

So it seems like a slow down in Phuket in general.

On Tuesday my home net worked for a bit in the morning and then was down all day. I eventually called TOT gave them my tel # and he said are you in the south? I say I'm in Phuket yes. And he says there is no internet in the south (It appears that the TOT outtage was affecting more than just Phuket) I ask "When will it be back on?" He siad he wasn't sure but later that evening or the next day.

Steller customer service :o ( i don't blame the guy on the line, would have been nice if he appologised, but it seems that his higher ups just weren't providing there techs with good info, or any info for that matter)

I've used the speed meeter on TV and I've used the speed meeter at adslthailand.com

It appears within Thailand I'm getting the speed i should (700-850 range DL)

But outside to the wider net (let's face it most of the servers that count are in the US and EU) the DL speed was abismal at about 64kbps, I think Thaigerd is right and a modem would be faster at this point.

Strangely enough although my DL speed sucked my Upstream speed was waht it should be 300-400 range????

What's going on?

Edited by ozymandious

Since a couple of weeks now the speed of my ADSL TOT connection is getting worse.

On some days it's better to use my old dial-up modem cause it's much faster than ADSL.

I am living in Kathu area.

Would like to hear your experience with internet here in Phuket and if you have similar probs.

Have a nice weekend all!

Gerd

I have had slow downs on Maxnet too .... was thinking it may be because school is out

I think jdinasia called it with school being out. My crappy-slow 3G card and connection is even faster than the TOT ADSL in the afternoon this last week or so.

I never thought to try the modem; it might be faster! Thanks.

I'm in central Phuket and have ADSL with Maxnet.

Aussietraveller,

How did you install Maxnet ADSL?

Their broadband offers (from the Web site) sound good and better than anything else I've seen so far.

THanks!

(Note: I'm in Phuket Town.)

Afetr a speed test this morning registered a download speed of 5.5 kps, I called TOT and they have stated that there is a problem with the TOT server. I asked when it was likely to be fixed and they said today. Now with Thai pronunciation that could of course mean two days. So I wouldn't expect any improvement before the end of the week!

Not sure if it is just affecting Phuket.

Dial-up sounds the best option at the moment.

I switched from TT&T to a 3G laptop card and i'm happy with it.

The TT&T was very slow and the 3G is much faster and very mobile off course.

Maybe not perfect for downloading but for e-mail and webserving it is fast enough.

Max signal in Kathu so no probelms for me.

Its been so bad here, that I couldn;t get on and complain or have a see how others were affected.

I did a Myspeed scan and a visual route trace and TOT and the hops to CAT seemed ok, it was when it got to CAT telecom that the problems started.

got 9KBS yesterday on it (I pay for 1024) but got 930 this morning which was the fasted ever. It was also the first time ever that my download speed exceeded the upload speed, and the first time in over a year, that it (myspeed) said i was getting a good performance for a connection of this supposed quality.

Needless to say, it is shit again now.

"Needless to say, it is shit again now.'

Late afternoon for me with my TOT connection is always awful, but this week it seems particularly worse; I was getting page timeouts about 1/3 of the time but the error message is different and I'm not even getting the destination address in my browser so that I can retry.

I do a route trace and notice the bottleneck is after it leaves TOT (which means when it hits CAT). I wonder if the government censors have installed some new software to be able to more closely monitor what goes in and out of Thailand, and this has really slowed down the speed.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory but YouTube was blocked this week, and, hey, TIT (This Is Thailand).

"Needless to say, it is shit again now.'

Late afternoon for me with my TOT connection is always awful, but this week it seems particularly worse; I was getting page timeouts about 1/3 of the time but the error message is different and I'm not even getting the destination address in my browser so that I can retry.

I do a route trace and notice the bottleneck is after it leaves TOT (which means when it hits CAT). I wonder if the government censors have installed some new software to be able to more closely monitor what goes in and out of Thailand, and this has really slowed down the speed.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory but YouTube was blocked this week, and, hey, TIT (This Is Thailand).

I thought the same but am not savvy enought to undersatnd why so many hops between TOT and CAT telecom. I my first thought was a virus, and this seemed to be confirmed when I downloaded more virus security programs and they fished out a ton of viruses all missed by Microsoft!

Anyone give us the low down? Myspeed and visual trace are free software so any info from boffins would be interesting.... not useful as there's bugger all we can do about it!