Bus Drivers Swear Oath To Drive Safely, Check Vehicles

george

Bus drivers swear oath to drive safely, check vehicles

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- Bus drivers are being made to swear an oath to sacred deities in the latest attempt to persuade them to drive carefully and ensure passengers' safety.

Provincial transport officer Anusorn Withurakorn took 120 drivers of inner city minibuses, air-conditioned buses and inter-province buses to Wat Phra Narai Maharaj in Muang district yesterday. Before a row of monks and a principal Buddha image, they took an oath to exercise utmost caution on the road.

It was part of a road safety campaign to improve the quality of provincial bus services following the bus fire in [more ...]

--Bangkok Post 2007-03-30

On whose authority (divinity) do they swear by?

...."I swear, by XXXXXX XXX, that I will drive safely, always observing the speed limits, and nothing but drive safely, so help me!"

It doesn't inspire me with much confidence! :o

One doesn't know whether to laugh or cry....

seconded .

Thirded (is that a word?).

How about some legislation and some enforcement?

The charm of the place, isn't it :o Tell me where else in the world one can be amazed (at the naivety) each day...

Edited by OlRedEyes

Training and Safety checks would be more reassuring to me than prayer!

Although maybe prayer works--I seem to spend a lot of time when I am on the back of a motorcycle or in a bus praying and it's worked so far!

It reminds me of an aunt I had who was afraid of flying. We used to tell her that when it was her time to go, it was her time to go. She replied that Yes, but when it's the pilot's time to go, she didn't want to go with him!

• 1 month later...

Update: BMTA to correct public transportation driving manners

The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) will re-train drivers of public transport to drive safely and follow traffic rules and regulations.

BMTA Director Phinet Phuapattanakul (พิเณศวร์ พัวพัฒนกุล) says BMTA will revamp services of public transport, including manners of bus drivers and fare collectors. He informs all 7,000 bus drivers must attend “personality development and safety consciousness improvement” program to provide better services to passengers.

The BMTA Director says he will discuss with relevant agencies to seek solutions for accidents caused by buses.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 May 2007

Update: BMTA to correct public transportation driving manners

The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) will re-train drivers of public transport to drive safely and follow traffic rules and regulations.

BMTA Director Phinet Phuapattanakul (พิเณศวร์ พัวพัฒนกุล) says BMTA will revamp services of public transport, including manners of bus drivers and fare collectors. He informs all 7,000 bus drivers must attend "personality development and safety consciousness improvement" program to provide better services to passengers.

The BMTA Director says he will discuss with relevant agencies to seek solutions for accidents caused by buses.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 May 2007

This would be a truly great thing if it happens, I use buses quite frequently and they are crying out for a push like this.

However, the skeptic in me believes that this has as much probability of happening as the Police has of being restructured.....on that day Satan may well be skating to work.

Basically they are saying that they can't enforce the law in this regard and it's up to the drivers themselves.

"Drivers swore an oath" is a bit better than "drivers promised to cooperate".