Pattaya: Four hundred tourists evacuated as fire breaks out at Holiday Inn Express

webfact

1 hour ago, ABreedApart said:

I remember this one well, consequences a lot worse as people couldn't escape as they were locked in, think the bell boy is still in jail, everybody else was deemed blameless to summarise! The hotel was closed down and was never to reopen - yep - still doing business today! 

Considering Pattaya is supposed to be quite, there are not that many people on the street and the hotel looks on the small side, were there really 400 people involved?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BestB said:

News is incorrect. One of the staff made a post on Facebook stating it took fire brigade 1 hour to arrive from the time they called, because they were all drinking and drunk. Staff claims initially it was small fire and if fireman arrived when called , it would have been contained , but because of delay, almost entire place burned down 

Only 1 hour ? man thats a rapid response and kudos for those brave firefighters ey !

21 minutes ago, transam said:

Wrong.....You reckon these are all Internet wires.....Plus wires that are up high are high voltage, supplying transformers..

wires2.jpg.9ee27f5c78831420fe2de7563efd8ca3.jpg

Go out your front door and have a look transam. Fact: All the wires that are bundled together are internet and phone wires and the electrical wires are located well above those wires and the reason that there are so many wires there for the internet is because instead of pulling down the ones that are no longer in use they leave them there and just add more wires to them

I was there on the third floor. It took an age before an appliance arrived. Many Indians appeared on the street with their cases! 

My concern is that only one appliance arrived with a ladder. What if 200 people needed rescuing? 

The second appliance had a hose that could not reach the top floor!

After the fire was extinguished all the emergency services cleared off only to be called back as the fire had reignited. 

A thorough investigation should take place and heads should roll.

Does Pattaya have sufficient equipment to take on a major incident such as a fire at the Hilton?

Scary to say the least

8 minutes ago, Lee bamber said:

I was there on the third floor. It took an age before an appliance arrived. Many Indians appeared on the street with their cases! 

My concern is that only one appliance arrived with a ladder. What if 200 people needed rescuing? 

After the fire was extinguished all the emergency services cleared off only to be called back as the fire had reignited. 

Does Pattaya have sufficient equipment to take on a major incident such as a fire at the Hilton?

Scary to say the least

Forget about Pattaya. Every major town in Thailand does not have sufficient fire fighting equipement to handle a major fire incident. Thailand allow highrise hotels and condo buildings and there is no firefighting equipement in the area that would be able to control any major fire in a high level building.

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I was staying in some 5 star hotel in England when the alarms went off at 2-30 am I can tell you it's not funny especially when your pi$$ ed from the night before and people are running around not know what to do, 

I was sleeping in a BKK hotel and in the middle of the night the fire alarm went off...big panic...it was some Brittish drunk boys who had pushed the alarm, just for fun.

4 hours ago, nauseus said:
7 hours ago, sharecropper said:

That looks like the cladding was on fire, like Grenfell Tower in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

No. It doesn't.

It is definitely similar. The fire looks like it may have been on top of the awning over the entrance on the first floor but daylight pictures indicate fire damage to upper floor is limited to narrow vertical columns where cladding was located. That stuff acts like a wind tunnel.

HIx.jpg.9d9d3b7edbba809d5b3407043fb1b701.jpg

4 hours ago, natway09 said:

The Holiday Inn chain is "family orientated "    No visitors after 10pm (that is why I never stayed with them 555)

I doubt much hanky panky going on 

Holiday Inn doesn't have a 10 p.m. curfew on guests. I don't know if any hotel in Thailand does.

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Shot in the dark, but do you think the hotel will be closed for a while? I'm booked in on the 17th for 2 nights and already paid.

Why do not you contact hotel instead of asking someone who clearly has no clue 

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It is definitely similar. The fire looks like it may have been on top of the awning over the entrance on the first floor but daylight pictures indicate fire damage to upper floor is limited to narrow vertical columns where cladding was located. That stuff acts like a wind tunnel.

HIx.jpg.9d9d3b7edbba809d5b3407043fb1b701.jpg

That fits.

1 hour ago, Liverpudlian said:

Only 1 hour ? man thats a rapid response and kudos for those brave firefighters ey !

Have not you heard their excuse? Narrow street????????????, mind you fire station is about 500 meters away if you cut through hospital driveway 

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Just to clarify, Holiday Inn, is 90% Chinese tourists, is that correct? so 3 questions

1. If it was 90% Chinese, any particular reason why in all photo's its showing Indians only?

2. How exactly did you arrive at conclusion of 90%? did you do actual count?

3. How exactly did you determine the invisible Chinese were independent traveler and not part of the tour group?

If we are pursuing such attention to detail, why assume that all of the alleged 90% of alleged Chinese were tourists at all? And even those that were on a group tour, why assume that they were all with the same group?

This is the pertinent stuff that all TV's Thai bashers NEED TO KNOW!

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If we are pursuing such attention to detail, why assume that all of the alleged 90% of alleged Chinese were tourists at all? And even those that were on a group tour, why assume that they were all with the same group?

This is the pertinent stuff that all TV's Thai bashers NEED TO KNOW!

Only clarifying what he claimed, fact is it’s mainly Indian groups not Chinese and groups not independent travelers.

1 hour ago, Lee bamber said:

Scary to say the least

why didn't you capitalise the B in your surname? it's highly annoying

7 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

<deleted>..I have already paid to stay here for 2 nights on the 17th through booking.com

Take it I need to contact them and look for somewhere else to stay? Typical as this was one of the rare times I paid up front for a room.

Booking.Com Should Contact You....

4 hours ago, natway09 said:

The Holiday Inn chain is "family orientated "    No visitors after 10pm (that is why I never stayed with them 555)

I doubt much hanky panky going on 

Thank goodness no one was hurt in this fire unlike in Britain recently where scores died in a similar incident,  largely due to the actions of the London Fire Brigade. Well done to all the Thai staff who helped in this emergency and prevented a disaster. All the Thai haters and Pattaya bashers should stifle their crass cynical comments and contribute something positive. Proud to live in Thailand! Proud to live in Pattaya!

8 hours ago, toenail said:

Glad it wasn’t the two Holiday Inn towers on Beach Rd ( more people). 

This building is new- what is the excuse? 

probably bad electrics lucky they didnt get electrocuted lets see what happens mynamar get blamed if any in the area ?

Scary to say the least

Too true Narelle! That's another reason why I stay in my old Holden HZ Sandman panel wagon when I visit the beach.

hz.jpg.3836d3f56612d7458b4e2d2d47271288.jpg

It's where it’s at for the budget-conscious grommy, or no-frills individual who cares not for material things. You can jam a mattress in there, a swag, a bag of clothes, a few tinnies and all the boards and wetties you own and hit the open road whenever you damn well please! Pack a fire extinguisher if you feel the need.

The Good: pretty great on petrol; heaps of room for shortboards and eskies in the back; decent handling; usually – due to their age –have really cold air-con.

The Bad: Let’s face it, you’ll probably look like a pensioner on their way to bingo and a top looking gogo dancer may need some extra wonga to stay longtime.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Forget about Pattaya. Every major town in Thailand does not have sufficient fire fighting equipment to handle a major fire incident. Thailand allow highrise hotels and condo buildings and there is no firefighting equipment in the area that would be able to control any major fire in a high level building.

That is why fire suppression sprinklers systems are installed in all newer buildings and they all have emergency exit staircases in several areas, depending on size of building. 

Cities are going bankrupt in the USA trying to afford hundreds of firefighters and equipment that is rarely used, and then you have to pay them or their spouses pensions for eternity.  

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. 

Only the left side of this hotel had fire damage, easy for tenants to exit stage right.

Scary to say the least

Are you the blond Scandinavian/ Dutch looking guy? Largish built, around 40s? Wearing buttoned down light colour shirt?

Archived