Immigration chief: Don't scare the tourists away by being too strict - we need them and their money

webfact

USA still interviews me for 30 min every time I pass by their customs (& check phone often). Compared to them thai imigration is paradise. China is also super nice. Basic questions only.

Europe probably nicest. They look at you 3x and ask no questions and let you in.  

Edited by Drax
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, noone223 said:

no he wasn't ! that's 1 out of 3 reasons they denied & detained him, but it was never proven!

Too funny! This is Thailand, they don't need to prove things in the same way that a UK entity might have to follow legal guidelines and have several levels of appeal, things don't work that way here. But I do know after almost twenty years here that Immi. doesn't usually kick people out unless they have a reason. Sorry but that's the way it is. And I also know from multiple discussions with various expats on the subject of people being denied entry etc., most if not all who post their tales of woe and unfair biased cruelty on this forum, aren't telling the complete story.

1 minute ago, saengd said:

Too funny! This is Thailand, they don't need to prove things in the same way that a UK entity might have to follow legal guidelines and have several levels of appeal, things don't work that way here. But I do know after almost twenty years here that Immi. doesn't usually kick people out unless they have a reason. Sorry but that's the way it is. And I also know from multiple discussions with various expats on the subject of people being denied entry etc., most if not all who post their tales of woe and unfair biased cruelty on this forum, aren't telling the complete story.

Nah they almost kicked me when I had 5 months in Thailand 3 years ago, they only didn’t cuz i showed 20k and return flight within 3 months. Basically yeah anyone under tourist visa is at risk of being kicked after 6 months stay basically. Not written on book but obvious. That’s the complete story.

9 hours ago, SaamBaht said:

Been here 17 years. Still reporting every 90 days. How bout being nice to long term folks? 

You are asking the  citizens of a generally racist xenophobic nation to be nice to foreigners. Your post makes no logical sense. Can't you see it is you that is the problem. If you wanted salt of the Earth humanity and warm feelings you should have retired in Vietnam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Drax said:

Nah they almost kicked me when I had 5 months in Thailand 3 years ago, they only didn’t cuz i showed 20k and return flight within 3 months. Basically yeah anyone under tourist visa is at risk of being kicked after 6 months stay basically. Not written on book but obvious. That’s the complete story.

Sure, but 6 months in a country is not someone being a common or garden variety tourist, it's something else which requires a different visa.

22 minutes ago, saengd said:

But I do know after almost twenty years here that Immi. doesn't usually kick people out unless they have a reason.

You might be right, but just because they didn't kick you out doesn't mean you'll be back for more humiliation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, noone223 said:

You might be right, but just because they didn't kick you out doesn't mean you'll be back for more humiliation.

I'm OK with a little humility from time to time, I've come to realise it's a part of the landscape, it doesn't cost me anything to maintain my life here.

11 hours ago, ttrd said:

He talk about tourists, not expats - a small but significant difference ... :thumbsup:

Actually they are effectively the same. We import hard currency. We frequently travel around the country  We drink and eat in tourist areas sometines. We stay in hotels sometimes. We effectively renew our visa via the 90 day reporting system which makes us more like tourists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, saengd said:

Working without a work permit, fair enough  I suppose, those are the rules anywhere.

Saengd you didn't understand, (maybe read my original post first) the question was: "And what was their reason for deporting you?"
This is one of the number of article they take to deported me and wrote in my passeport, (they need a reason) so they just lie) it's not the true... They even wrote we suppose than he work, in a paper than they don't want give me a copy... They can say what they want.

We suppose than you are a murder, so go to jail... The thai law is working like that? Only need suppositions to put the people in jail?

First I'm not crazy to work in thailand with a tourist visa, the jails of thailand are hells, and even with a work permit, why should prefer to work in thailand when I can get maybe 10 X more salary in my own country...?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, balo said:

Does this mean we can forget about the TM30 and just be nice to each other?  

The TM30  on issue was blown out of proportion on this forum by rumour mongers and people who did not understand their visas or their accommodation situation. It never was an issue for most people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Langkawee said:

The expat community brought it upon themselves by not having the leadership, solidarity and courage of somebody like Gandhi. You have reaped what you have sown, and that is choosing to be second class citizens unlike the Chinese and Japanese in Thailand. 

Have you been smoking too much, maybe us expats should have got a flip flopped chang vested begpacker to lead us

• Confused 1

Yesterday I visited Immigration in Pattaya for a 90-day report. Queue was 20 metres long outside the besides the scrum inside.  The worst I have seen in 20 years. And the problem seemed to be caused by TM 30 reportees on their return to a new address in Pattaya. Yes I know the hotel or apartment owner should do this reporting ,but..... Most did not seem to know they did not have to report if they were returning to the same address. And all I wanted was a queue number-yes, I could have pushed my way to the front, but.... again 

49 minutes ago, Deported said:

Saengd you didn't understand, (maybe read my original post first) the question was: "And what was their reason for deporting you?"
This is one of the number of article they take to deported me and wrote in my passeport, (they need a reason) so they just lie) it's not the true... They even wrote we suppose than he work, in a paper than they don't want give me a copy... They can say what they want.

We suppose than you are a murder, so go to jail... The thai law is working like that? Only need suppositions to put the people in jail?

First I'm not crazy to work in thailand with a tourist visa, the jails of thailand are hells, and even with a work permit, why should prefer to work in thailand when I can get maybe 10 X more salary in my own country...?

Two questions:

Were you working in Thailand, even working remotely?

How many times on how many visa's had you been in Thailand over the previous 365 days?

11 minutes ago, Deported said:

who tell you than I'm worked in thailand? The immigration I guess. ????????????
I never worked in thailand.

I used a METV visa maybe not far of 7-8 month, (like authorised) and then 3 months later than I left, I come back with a single entry tourist visa. Why to sell me these visa if I'm not authorised to stay like a tourist ?

So 8 months and then three months later you came back again, you can see how Immi. thinks that you're not a regular tourist and that they thought you might be working here. Common or garden tourists take three or four weeks vacation a couple of times per year, not eight or nine months in every twelve!

Anyway, sorry you got bounced, perhaps try a different visa next time.

• Like 1

If Immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang needs money. I have an advice for him
Make a history, how bad is it too not getting the weekly envelopes that you depend on.

no tourists then Sompong Chingduang feel
uncomfortable, because you can't get everything you want.

https://www.gofundme.com

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Deported said:

Yeap, so they don't respect the peoples and just work with suppositions, but they not understand than it's themself let's me come in before? Themself who propse me, and sell me these tourist visa...
it's not a way to take and treat peoples like  criminals... They give me the autorisation to come and after they treat me like a criminal!

So If I understand well, I have to lie and to have a fake job or a fake student visa to stay like a tourist without work in thailand? Very nice country...
But like I say in my first post, the best option it's to go spent our money in another country more welcoming for tourist, and where they respect more the humains...

Either get an O-A visa which will give you more access or rationalise your visits. My (Thai) wife has a five year tourist visa to the UK but that doesn't mean she can be a tourist there for five straight years...if she spends more time in the UK than she spends in Thailand in a twelve month period she will not be allowed to enter again, effectively six months in every twelve is OK.