Songkran 1-18 April This Year.

Ulysses G.

> I will be having fun in the water as I do each year. Last year with a one year old

> it was a bit more difficult especially when two morons dumped a 10 gallon bucket

> of ice water on me as I was holding the baby -

:o There is absolutely no way I'm taking my kid out anywhere during Songkran. Perhaps a little bit in the garden to take some pictures, that's it.

But anyway, if we can get some people together and an old truck then we could have the beginnings of a plan.. :D The only issue is every time I borrow my mum-in-law's truck for Songkran I end up breaking something, for which I then have to pay just by myself. Usually I just break the aircon though, which is torture enough during Songkran.. (38 degrees and can't open the windows.. :D )

Cheers,

Chanchao

Sounds like a great idea - the truck not the A/C dying halfway through the day - anyone else interested in making a Thai Visa truck amuck or should we hole up at a pub and do it from there?

CB

Thanks for the information you posted, Crow Boy.

I had to make it Thailand general not Chiang Mai specific. In the North and East (Isaan) it is much more "full on" than in the Central and Southern Regions. I like Songkran festival but it is important to realise it is a cultural and religious festival first and foremost - the water throwing is a much more recent event. It started out of pouring water over the hands and feet of visitors and has developed into Water War - the words for Water Festival Sonkran and War Songram sound very similar and I think many farung inadvertently interchange the two.

Take part in the temple activities even if you aren't a Buddhist, make or watch people make the Stupa then take part in the ceremonies there. Enjoy the water works then when it starts to get to evening watch the parades and the cultural events.

The three important things to remember are:

Have respect

Have fun

Be safe

Way too many people are killed on the roads in a combination of speed, alcohol, and slippery roads from water. Remember the roads are dusty and have a film of diesel on them so the water causes it to lift and the road becomes very slippery.

CB

> I will be having fun in the water as I do each year. Last year with a one year old

> it was a bit more difficult especially when two morons dumped a 10 gallon bucket

:o There is absolutely no way I'm taking my kid out anywhere during Songkran. Perhaps a little bit in the garden to take some pictures, that's it.

But anyway, if we can get some people together and an old truck then we could have the beginnings of a plan.. :D The only issue is every time I borrow my mum-in-law's truck for Songkran I end up breaking something, for which I then have to pay just by myself. Usually I just break the aircon though, which is torture enough during Songkran.. (38 degrees and can't open the windows.. :D )

Cheers,

Chanchao

Sounds like a great idea - the truck not the A/C dying halfway through the day - anyone else interested in making a Thai Visa truck amuck or should we hole up at a pub and do it from there?

CB

We really should all meet somewhere comfortable (like Mad Dog?) that is right of the middle of the action! :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Thanks for the information you posted, Crow Boy.

I had to make it Thailand general not Chiang Mai specific. In the North and East (Isaan) it is much more "full on" than in the Central and Southern Regions. I like Songkran festival but it is important to realise it is a cultural and religious festival first and foremost - the water throwing is a much more recent event. It started out of pouring water over the hands and feet of visitors and has developed into Water War - the words for Water Festival Sonkran and War Songram sound very similar and I think many farung inadvertently interchange the two.

Take part in the temple activities even if you aren't a Buddhist, make or watch people make the Stupa then take part in the ceremonies there. Enjoy the water works then when it starts to get to evening watch the parades and the cultural events.

The three important things to remember are:

Have respect

Have fun

Be safe

Way too many people are killed on the roads in a combination of speed, alcohol, and slippery roads from water. Remember the roads are dusty and have a film of diesel on them so the water causes it to lift and the road becomes very slippery.

CB

Thanks for mentioning RESPECT, Crow Boy, it's nice to hear from somebody like you.

Cheers,

Chanchao

CB

We really should all meet somewhere comfortable (like Mad Dog?) that is right of the middle of the action! :D

Sounds good to me - that way we can beer and food then argue about the merits of MD pizza v Duke pizza :D

Date and time to assemble for the water madness?

CB

> We really should all meet somewhere comfortable (like Mad Dog?) that is

> right of the middle of the action!

For it to be truly comfortable I think people would need to be able to get there somewhat conveniently. At Mad Dog it's hard to get in or out for people wanting to just have a nice (and dry) bite to eat first, etc.

Friends of mine will be staying at the Queen Victoria Inn. I picked that especially BECAUSE it's on the inside of the moat and relatively safe to get in and out of a vehicle. (Even with a kid if need be)

But I don't mind Mad Dog also, indeed it's in the middle of the action. :o

> We really should all meet somewhere comfortable (like Mad Dog?) that is

> right of the middle of the action!

For it to be truly comfortable I think people would need to be able to get there somewhat conveniently. At Mad Dog it's hard to get in or out for people wanting to just have a nice (and dry) bite to eat first, etc.

Friends of mine will be staying at the Queen Victoria Inn. I picked that especially BECAUSE it's on the inside of the moat and relatively safe to get in and out of a vehicle. (Even with a kid if need be)

But I don't mind Mad Dog also, indeed it's in the middle of the action. :o

I understand what you mean, but, to me, it's just not as much fun unless you are right downtown in the middle of everything.

There are some other fun places like John's Place/Cozy Corner and Daret's House, but it's really easy to go inside and have a somewhat quiet beer at Nick's (Mad Dog) if you want to, where in the other places you are always in the line of fire.

True Blue was good, but that's out. Any other suggestions where to meet up? :D

For the official Songkran days 13, 14, 15 (and this year possibly 16 & 17 as compensation days because 14 and 15 are a weekend), government offices, schools, banks and most 'office' type companies willl be closed.

Restaurants and department stores will all be open.

For smaller shops it varies. Some open, some close and go celebrate. Most of them are open though, so it's not like you're impacted if you want to buy something.

But any kind of official business: Ferget it. :o