AIS package renewal while abroad.

goldmagpie

If you aren't going to be around, then why renew? Renew when you return. Otherwise it will likely renew even if you aren't around. You should have International Roaming switched on anyway, as it will be useful for topping up etc.

More importantly, if you want to keep your SIM alive, you should top up 10 x 20 baht, as opposed to a single 200 baht top up.

That should max out your validity days.

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

If you aren't going to be around, then why renew? Renew when you return. Otherwise it will likely renew even if you aren't around. You should have International Roaming switched on anyway, as it will be useful for topping up etc.

More importantly, if you want to keep your SIM alive, you should top up 10 x 20 baht, as opposed to a single 200 baht top up.

That should max out your validity days.

exactly.

5 hours ago, goldmagpie said:

Turns out it was easily solved. Follow the instructions here: http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/faq.html

Isn't that what I suggested in the first place?

Plan doesn't usually lapse if you don't have enough credit and you don't need the phone to be switched on for the plan to renew. You only need to have credit.

Just now, Eindhoven said:

Isn't that what I suggested in the first place?

Plan doesn't usually lapse if you don't have enough credit and you don't need the phone to be switched on for the plan to renew. You only need to have credit.

right. i'm sometimes away 6/7 months, i take the sim out of my phone for that time, i make sure i have enough credit and when i return i put the sim back in and off i go. easy. the AIS app is useful.

On 12/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, goldmagpie said:

I have one of those 200 Baht per month packages. I have added enough for next month. But I won't be here then. Question is, will AIS renew if it can't see my phone online? Do I need to open it for international roaming, or will it work without?

What I have done is:

* At the AIS Shop telling them I am going abroad so them can flag some settings for the SIM, it then shows up as 'Freedom Planet' in the Ais App. (I didn't do that before, and the number was not working abroad)

* At the same time ask them to put a flag to block marketing calls.

* When topping up the credit do it in small amounts, each topup extends the validity with one month.

* Pause the promotion, or keep a few bath less credit as the promotion price that way it will be extended when the credit is enough, do that when you come back.

This way I kept my AIS sim and used it for receiving SMS.

It's worth mentioning, don't get phonecalls or make them. You will pay for that. (That is the reason I have a second sim for regular contact while the first is only for data and OTP sms.

To add, one time I was away and found out the validity period was ending just short before I was  returning. Topped up the credit abroad using Line Pay. Conveniently.

You already have enough credits for next month. To lower that you can if you have another AIS sim transfer it.

USSD Code – Dial: * 140 * 1 * 10-digit Receivers Number * Amount # 

Archived