GBP Up Against Baht

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, BestB said:

Yes pound gained on the back of elections , happens every time in every country.

To be fair, unlike most elections, this one represents a fairly profound shift in British politics, reasserting the democratic will of the people after a long period during which various highly influential elites attempted to negate or misrepresent it.

That created instability and uncertainty that severely impacted the currency. Regardless of where you stand on Brexit, the essential principle of democracy is vital to the smooth running of advanced economies.

18 hours ago, BestB said:

No idea why people always get so excited when currency moves an inch . Yes pound gained on the back of elections , happens every time in every country.  Once dust settles it goes back down not another 10% up. 

For some it makes a difference, when I came I got 76 baht to the £ for the last few months my Pension has been less than halve that... 

18 hours ago, donnacha said:

To be fair, unlike most elections, this one represents a fairly profound shift in British politics, reasserting the democratic will of the people after a long period during which various highly influential elites attempted to negate or misrepresent it.

That created instability and uncertainty that severely impacted the currency. Regardless of where you stand on Brexit, the essential principle of democracy is vital to the smooth running of advanced economies.

Very well said. Thank you.

21 hours ago, BestB said:

No idea why people always get so excited when currency moves an inch . Yes pound gained on the back of elections , happens every time in every country.  Once dust settles it goes back down not another 10% up. 

And don't forget that just before BJ became PM, you got 42 baht for a £ (TT). After he became PM and opened his big mouth the £ fell 5 baht to 37. So, it's still about -1.75 baht from "normal". 

22 hours ago, donnacha said:

Congratulations to all my British friends on a great result and, hopefully, the end of the long, unnecessary period of uncertainty that has been hammering sterling over the past fews years.

Great result? The PM ran and hid in a fridge to avoid answering a journalist’s questions. Really great.....

21 hours ago, donnacha said:

Definitely a profound shift to trump style electioneering where there’s no place for truth and facts. 

I posted this in another thread:

The baht has been strong against every other major currency in the world over the last few years.

october 2016     $1 35 baht
now        $1 30 baht

The pound plummeted for 4 months following the referendum, but since then it has been gradually been recovering:

october 2016     £1 $1.21
october 2016     £1 1.11 euros
october 2016    £1 42 baht

now        £1 $1.33
now        £1 1.2 euros
now        £1 40 baht

49 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

And don't forget that just before BJ became PM, you got 42 baht for a £ (TT). After he became PM and opened his big mouth the £ fell 5 baht to 37. So, it's still about -1.75 baht from "normal". 

BJ became UK PM on 24 July 2019 and the Pound wasnt 42 Baht then 

26 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Definitely a profound shift to trump style electioneering where there’s no place for truth and facts. 

Well done, you got the usually Trump mention into a thread .

A thread without Trump being mentioning just wouldnt be acceptable 

18 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Well Corbyn was very good at that ,Abbott didnt lie she was just to stupid to know anything ,like the people who voted her back in , As for the communist momentum ,well even the working man saw through them ,anyway at the end of the day you lot lost so na di nadi na ????

4 hours ago, ignis said:

For some it makes a difference, when I came I got 76 baht to the £ for the last few months my Pension has been less than halve that... 

76 was probably one of the reasons you moved here. When I first came here it was 33.

As other posters have already said, this is nothing to get worked up about. I was in the UK recently for a visit and surprisingly (!) happened to be in a Wetherspoons pub and reading their in-house magazine. There was a section in which Tim Martin (love his pubs, his politics not so much) was quoting excerpts from various publications and countering them with his own arguments. One caught my eye from The Spectator which referred to an index known as the Purchasing Power Parity. Google it, it's an index based on the USD that takes in several parameters. Apparently this last summer UBS stated that the pound stood at 1.57 USD in this index.

I supported staying in the EU only because I was certain that leaving would have a severe effect on sterling and so it has turned out. I may give one cheer for Johnson when the pound is worth 1.50 USD once more. Until then I remain convinced that leaving the EU is a massive self-inflicted injury to the UK economy.   

Financial  instuitions are always looking for a quick and easy means to lower the pound, but don't expect rapid rise.   (its the same in UK with petrol prices)

It amazes me that because of the uncertainty of Brexit, the pound fell rapidly. BUT, after the Coup in Thailand, the Bhat went up ?????????????? 

On 12/13/2019 at 1:01 PM, HullyGully said:

With the Conservative majority, the pound is moving up

currently at 40.285 for TT transfer (BKK Forex rate)

I expect the pound to rise a bit more, maybe 45

A 'bit more'?! That’s a further 12% you’re  hoping for which is massive. A majority was largely priced in @ 39.8 and this just eased up a bit more on confirmation and the size of majority. Expect little if any more and perhaps a bit of a fall back as the euphoria subsides and the hard work begins.

36 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Financial  instuitions are always looking for a quick and easy means to lower the pound, but don't expect rapid rise.   (its the same in UK with petrol prices)

It amazes me that because of the uncertainty of Brexit, the pound fell rapidly. BUT, after the Coup in Thailand, the Bhat went up ?????????????? 

Thai Foreign reserves,interest rates and volatility elsewhere were contributing to that. Petrol prices at the pump in the uk comprise 66% duties and tax so a fall in oil price is a much smaller part of the overall cost especially when distribution and retailing costs don’t go down.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:47 PM, BestB said:

Moan whinge grizzle...now I know why people compare Englishmen to jet engines!

Archived