20,000 For a Work Permit?

I recently got a job in Phuket and was told a work permit would cost 20,000 baht to obtain. After a quick google search it looks like it’s actually 3,000 for a 1 year work permit. I was told the increase in price is due to an agency doing the paperwork. However, 17,000 for paperwork sounds excessive. Am I being swindled or is this accurate? 

Also is the work permit price supposed to be covered by the employer or the employee?

thanks guys!

Edited by Phuket Mafia

Not unreasonable for a legal firm to charge that amount. But I would explain to the company that hiring such an expensive agency and then expecting you to pay for it is absurd.

Ultimately though, its up to you. If you want the job, and they won't pay, then you can either pay for it yourself, or you can find a new job. You might also suggest to them that you will apply yourself at the government office and that there is no need to hire the agency. It's not that difficult.

Personally, if a company wouldn't pay for the work permit, I'd simply walk. It's extremely unprofessional and a very bad sign.

• Like 1