Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Thousands join biggest protest for years in Thai capital

rooster59

20 minutes ago, david555 said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-14/thai-opposition-party-holds-anti-government-rally-in-bangkok

Thailand’s highest-profile opposition party warned of more demonstrations after drawing thousands of people to an anti-government rally Saturday that also protested the prospect of its looming dissolution.

The crowd assembled on an elevated walkway in a Bangkok shopping district three days after the Election Commission said it will petition a court to break up Future Forward for breaching financing rules, a charge the party rejects.

More....

The article says that Phalang Pracharath Party asked that Thanathorn respect the justice system, maybe they should ask the trictator the same as the coup he executed in 2014 totally disrespected the justices system of a democratically elected government.   

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, justin case said:

good for thais to wake up

but you know how this will go ... arrest warrant and billionaire on the run...

No, I and many others don't know how this will go.

Even if he frees the army to act there is no real way of foretelling what will happen, but to arrest Thanathorn may not be a good idea and IMHO Thanathorn will not be on the run, If he is arrested and jailed he will just as much of a threat to the junta as he is now.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

The army and police will simply shoot them. Just look history.

They have China on-side now.

They might think they have China on side now but remember there is bad blood there in the form of a bloody incursion in the recent past.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No, I and many others don't know how this will go.

Even if he frees the army to act there is no real way of foretelling what will happen, but to arrest Thanathorn may not be a good idea and IMHO Thanathorn will not be on the run, If he is arrested and jailed he will just as much of a threat to the junta as he is now.

I think threatening to dissolve the Fast Forward party was a dumb idea but they are known for not being the sharpest knives in the drawer! 

So "thousands" joined the protest, come on Thailand if you are going to demand change, protest the size of Hong Kong crowds, then you will get noticed.  I dont condone the violent mess however people power shows without doubt that the people of the country have had enough.

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

T his man has succeeded in doing something even Thaksin failed to do - he woke up the younger generations. And now that they are awake, they will not be silenced. 

Yeah right, and what happens when the college kids start to hit the streets ? Just look at HK over the last few months.

The young Thai male mentality will be a lot worse, Thanathorn is turning towards the very same kids who regularly shoot at each other in the streets, just for being from a rival university. If this small brain mentality goes one step further it’s all going to end badly.

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

It's actually very grim..and yes,overwhelming censorship is here-either covert or overt so you may take your pick.

Asian newspapers outside Thailand do it better-hence Asian Correspondent's insistence that 80 per day (on average) are the true road fatalities in Thailand.

Can not Control. Sure. You wrong this time. 

They try but can not. 

It is everywhere. Need 2 million worker to censorship everything now. More. Impossible. 

Eg. Look at the comment here. This just one place. Have 100,000 more. 

4 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Would a new government remove the 11am-2pm and 5pm-12am alcohol sale times?

There has been several changes of government since Thaksin and Purachai brought that asinine policy in and it hasn't been changed.

10 minutes ago, steveyinasia said:

So "thousands" joined the protest, come on Thailand if you are going to demand change, protest the size of Hong Kong crowds, then you will get noticed.  I dont condone the violent mess however people power shows without doubt that the people of the country have had enough.

I do believe the numbers of protesters will GREATLY increase next year.

But I fear the level will still not be enough. When every single cell of the body politic is infested with the militarist and dinosaur mind-set and power structure, it will take MILLIONS to move the country onto a different path and democratic future ...

31 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Can not Control. Sure. You wrong this time. 

They try but can not. 

It is everywhere. Need 2 million worker to censorship everything now. More. Impossible. 

Eg. Look at the comment here. This just one place. Have 100,000 more. 

This is why I appreciate your input to the forum. The mind and knowledge of a Thai.

I have watched the BBC here in Thailand and when an article on Thailand appears, the screen goes blank, only to reappear when the article has finished. Massive press censorship in Thailand. Try visiting the website of the British newspaper, The Daily Mail.

The truth? Read this:

https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/2016/thailand

An extract:

PRESS FREEDOM STATUS: 
NF
LEGAL ENVIRONMENT: 
27 / 30
(0=BEST, 30=WORST)
POLITICAL ENVIRONMENT: 
33 / 40 (↓2)
(0=BEST, 40=WORST)
ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT: 
17 / 30
(0=BEST, 30=WORST)
PRESS FREEDOM SCORE: 
77 / 100 (↓2)
(0=BEST, 100=WORST)

26 minutes ago, toolpush said:

There has been several changes of government since Thaksin and Purachai brought that asinine policy in and it hasn't been changed.

Yes, not changed, but strongly enforced.

Definitely you could go into a 7/11 a few years back at 15pm and got a beer.

These recent days, even some mom & pop shops are suggesting to take care and hide, someone is looking, reporting etc.

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

This is why I appreciate your input to the forum. The mind and knowledge of a Thai.

The truth? Read this:

https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/2016/thailand

An extract:

PRESS FREEDOM STATUS: 
NF
LEGAL ENVIRONMENT: 
27 / 30
(0=BEST, 30=WORST)
POLITICAL ENVIRONMENT: 
33 / 40 (↓2)
(0=BEST, 40=WORST)
ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT: 
17 / 30
(0=BEST, 30=WORST)
PRESS FREEDOM SCORE: 
77 / 100 (↓2)
(0=BEST, 100=WORST)

Danny, I agree they want/try to censor. Sure. 100%

But

1) they to stupid

2) have to much news, website, group now. even if not to stupid. Is impossible. 

3) everytime they try, it =more again.

I read thai news everyday. Not the Nation. 

the Nation is so weak.

6 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Serious insurrection will do wonders for the value of foreign currency against the baht, so bring it on.

Chances of bringing any democracy to Thailand - sub zero.

I'd like to think that that would be the case, but in the past these periods of unrest have seen the baht continue to increase regardless.

4 hours ago, Chazar said:

Prayuth told reporters on Friday it was inappropriate to organise a demonstration towards the end of the year.

Is that because it would count against your chances of a new bicycle you hanker after  when Santa asked 'Have you been naughty or nice'?

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

Danny, I agree they want/try to censor. Sure. 100%

But

1) they to stupid

2) have to much news, website, group now. even if not to stupid. Is impossible. 

3) everytime they try, it =more again.

I read thai news everyday. Not the Nation. 

the Nation is so weak.

These things were called Dorothea Dixer's in the old days.

Still used as a form of filibuster in Westminster style parliaments

3 minutes ago, jesimps said:

The good thing about this guy protesting is that the junta lovers can't say "But but Thaksin".

Very true..10 years of the moronic stuff..reading that nonsense was truly retchworthy.

Only a few of them are left now which is passing strange as the value of the baht has increased.

Archived