Thousands join biggest protest for years in Thai capital

rooster59

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I find Chihuahuas to be the bravest of breeds whose hearts are bigger than themselves.

My daughter has just brought home a little black (boy) puppy she saw dumped from a pick up outside the local temple an hour or so ago. He is about a month old, the chihouhas are mothering him like mad - big hearts indeed!

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Duke of Wellington once said (rough paraphrase ) that when he joined politics after a long and brilliant military career, he found running a Cabinet nearly impossible. In the Army he simply wrote out an order and it was followed to the letter without question. Being Prime minister turned out to be totally different.....almost impossible to live with.

He admitted to being ill~equipped for the position.

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I find Chihuahuas to be the bravest of breeds whose hearts are bigger than themselves.

We have a Chug(Chihuahua/Pug mix) who thinks she's a Doberman ... gets her in trouble with the neighborhood dogs every once in awhile, which sends her running as fast as the wind for her own yard/home and safety ... she's funny ... but at least knows when to scurry on home :)

It would seem that young people all over the Globe are protesting in some way or another

Hong Kong, Climate activists, and now the youth of Thailand. Etc

Social Media is probably the biggest spanner in the Tool Box for these young people, and will be used to devastating effect by them.

There is no Country or Government that can ignore these people.

26 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Surprising to see so many strongly-worded political comments here on Thai Visa. I hope the posters are not in Thailand.

I'm right here in Thailand being the idiot I've always been waving my hand in the air yelling pick me pick me or should that be shoot me shoot me?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Except nobody should be above the law, including the PM.

If the PM is convicted of a crime then he should be punished and depending of the crime go to jail

So you are saying Prayut, Thaksin, Abhisit and various other higher ups should be put on trial before an objective court, and by the looks of it should all be in jail? Some of these folk even having commited capital crimes.

If so, we for once would agree.

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

Surprising to see so many strongly-worded political comments here on Thai Visa. I hope the posters are not in Thailand.

I wonder what happend to the loads of 'Prayut is our saviour, hail the great leader, praised be the glorious Thai army!' dinosaurs that roamed these forums not so long ago?

8 minutes ago, Donutz said:

I wonder what happend to the loads of 'Prayut is our saviour, hail the great leader, praised be the glorious Thai army!' dinosaurs that roamed these forums not so long ago?

They are painting their slogans for their supporting demonstration probably......LOL

Or maybe they are the departed ones ..?

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They should have added the Communists card too, maybe that will

come later,as it was used in the past to discredit protesters.

regards Worgeordie 

They already did, see general Apirat. The dinosaur amnaat and their buddy generals have been foaming at the mouth with false accusations of communists rebellion,  anti monarchy and not loving the nation or not being buddhist. The same stuff over and over again since atleast 1973. The same excuses that made blood run through the streets of Bangkok (and elsewhere fuelled barrels with human remains) in the past. Enough is enough, let the Thai people finally stand up and bring down the system of dinosaurs that suppressed them for decades. But please without violence, though I fear what the military might be up to, knowing their past.

Edit: Thanathorn and the FFP are also being labeled 'ชังชาติ' or chang chaat, haters (as in something you hate that needs to be eradicated) plus country/nation. Literally 'nation haters' but in some media translated as 'unpatriotic' .

16 minutes ago, Donutz said:

So you are saying Prayut, Thaksin, Abhisit and various other higher ups should be put on trial before an objective court, and by the looks of it should all be in jail? Some of these folk even having commited capital crimes.

If so, we for once would agree.

"we" would agree? Who is "we"?

Of course all of them should follow the law. And if they committed crimes then punish them.

And let's be realistic. I find it almost funny when some people accuse Abhisit to be a murderer. Did he plan to kill anybody? Did he order anybody to kill anybody? People who think he is a murderer should look up the definition of that word.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"we" would agree? Who is "we"?

Of course all of them should follow the law. And if they committed crimes then punish them.

And let's be realistic. I find it almost funny when some people accuse Abhisit to be a murderer. Did he plan to kill anybody? Did he order anybody to kill anybody? People who think he is a murderer should look up the definition of that word.

I can spell it out for you: we = you and I. Where you is you OneMoreFarang, I am I, Donutz. 

You didn't see me write Abhisit being a cold blooded murdered, though he is responsible for various orders that ultimately meant the death of tens of civilians. What punishment, if any, fits such actions is not for me to decide. I do know that the previous court cases against some of these names where laughably biased. A court that is up to international standards should look into and rule all over these accused. Let true justice be served. It would be one great achievement in the loads of issues that trouble this great nation.

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Idiots protesting after the horse has bolted..Bit late now you dummies , they are looking ridiculous on the world stage . They could have made a huge difference several years ago 

They have little courage. 

Freedom isn't free. 

And, not everything in life is sanuk.

Not sure they can overcome this idea. 

2 hours ago, Donutz said:

They vanished, opened new accounts or simply reinvented themselves as junta critics and hope to God nobody remembers their fawning.

Some posts containing veiled references to the Royal family have been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

11 minutes ago, dcnx said:

How did this guy get his billions?

For sure without any sort of corruption. 

I mean, how could he not be perfectly clean with such a nice smile and such good English?

Plus, he says all the western, egalitarian buzz words I like to hear. 

He MUST be clean! 

All Hail Thanathorn

9 minutes ago, dcnx said:

They wouldn’t be able to arrest 10,000 people.

Maybe? but as groups of more than five were not allowed and prevented it never came to that, its easy to sit back and state that they "should" have protested, easy for me to say the same, though personally I wouldn't have liked to have been a victim of the draconian result that "protesting" would have resulted in, memories are short!

29 minutes ago, dcnx said:

They wouldn’t be able to arrest 10,000 people.

There was no party to rally around at that time. Yingluck, Thaksin's sister fled.  Pheua Thai, her party, has some democratically minded folk, but most of the MPs were well established local upcountry figures. They had everything to lose financially by opposing the military.

Yingluck herself was never going to risk her life for democracy, like her brother. Good gracious, she had only stepped into his shoes to help him out.

it took time for opposition to the military to evolve.

And now you see it.

40 minutes ago, dcnx said:

How did this guy get his billions?

Read his biography or see  some posts earlier in this thread, his dad had a company in the auto industry. Passed away, mum and son Thanothorn took over a profitable business and they too made good money. So basically he inherited his wealth. Bus luckily he came with principles too. He has been protesting and fighting for just causes as early as young adulthood. You may have seen some photo's around of him joining a protest a long time ago.  So his heart seems to be in the right place.  His money is a great attribute in being able to build a movement that simple poor folks couldn't really afford to set up (money wise and due to intimidation from the powers to be). 

But it's not just about Thanathorn. He is just one guy. Just look at the folks that joined or support FFP,  and it. Such as Piyabutr Saengkanokkul and Nidhi Eoseewong. Unlike that other filthy rich populist guy and his numerous parties with populist policies, FFP seems the real deal. Fighting for democracy, human rights and other things many such things we take for granted in most other developed nations.

Link to these posts earlier in the topic:

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

It would seem that young people all over the Globe are protesting in some way or another

Hong Kong, Climate activists, and now the youth of Thailand. Etc

Social Media is probably the biggest spanner in the Tool Box for these young people, and will be used to devastating effect by them.

There is no Country or Government that can ignore these people.

But like India with Kashmir or Iran the govt can shut down the internet and censor content

Archived