Retirement Extension Non-Imm O-A - Health Insurance - What docs?

14 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

Yes the requirement DOES exist since 31 Oct 2019 for extension of stay based on a Non-Immigrant O-A visa and it does not matter how many times you have extended in the past.  Signs are posted to that effect at my local IO..  

Be aware that it is only required when you extend your Non Imm OA Visa for reason of RETIREMENT.

When you are married, you can extend at the moment of application for reason of MARRIAGE.  The requirements are different for such extension and do NOT require health-insurance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Be aware that it is only required when you extend your Non Imm OA Visa for reason of RETIREMENT.

When you are married, you can extend at the moment of application for reason of MARRIAGE.  The requirements are different for such extension and do NOT require health-insurance.

Thank you very much Peter Denis.

Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

• Like 1

As the OP, thanks to all for your posts.  Yesterday I heard back from my insurer, Aetna on these questions.  They confirmed that extensions of retirement non-OA visas now require the health insurance certificate.  As for the problem of extension date/policy date mismatch, they are happy to change the policy effective date to match the extension date.  They also can provide the original certificate for pickup at their office (to supplement the emailed version since it seems some offices are not accepting the latter).

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

As the OP, thanks to all for your posts.  Yesterday I heard back from my insurer, Aetna on these questions.  They confirmed that extensions of retirement non-OA visas now require the health insurance certificate.  As for the problem of extension date/policy date mismatch, they are happy to change the policy effective date to match the extension date.  They also can provide the original certificate for pickup at their office (to supplement the emailed version since it seems some offices are not accepting the latter).

Did you ask whether or not they log the issuance of the insurance into the immigration computer system? If not, is it possible that you could? This will satisfy a concern of many, I think.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

Did you ask whether or not they log the issuance of the insurance into the immigration computer system? If not, is it possible that you could? This will satisfy a concern of many, I think.

They wrote me:  "Aetna have to send the information of our customer who covered under Long Stay VISA plan to the immigration too."  Which I think means, yes.

• Thanks 1

Postscript. Finally today at Phetchaburi Immigration, at the third attempt I was issued with my annual retirement  extension to my original O-A visa. The original version of the insurance certificate from AETNA signed personally by three directors, which had been sent by EMS, was scrutinised intently and they were again reluctant to accept it. After some deliberation, the chief IO gave assent and the paperwork was completed. There was no need to provide further documents, as my application had been under consideration. As an aside and a confirmation, I entered at Suvarnabhumi on 9th December on an re-entry permit and was not required to show any medical insurance documents. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any rule about when the insurance certificate (signed by 2 directors) must be dated?  For example, must it be close to the day you go in to get your stay extended (like the bank letter)?  Or is Immigration's only concern the date of the policy itself (which must extend for the full year of the extension of stay)?  

If you have an OA you should be able to leave a few days before your OA Visa expires then come back in before the Expiration date of your OA Visa and get an Extension of Stay Stamp for 1 additional year. You will need to get a multiple Entry or single Entry stamp each time you leave country. 

Then after this Extension of STay "Stamp" Expires you will need to get an Extention of Stay based on Retirement for an addiontal year which requires bank statements and documentation.

I have to do the same thing. My question is I came in Thailand with an OA Visa before OCT 31st 2019 requirements so is immigration requirement me to have proof medical insurance now that I am in Thailand? If anyone has experience with this please advise.

If you have any first hand feed back on my issue please advise. - Thanks - 

Background: I came to Thailand on November 7th 2019. My OA Visa was dated September 6th 2019. So, I was allowed entry into Thailand without having to Provide a Foreign Medical Certificate or proof I had Medical Insurance.

Question # 1: Will I have to prove or get Medical Insurance when it is time to get my Extention of Stay "Stamp"?  My understanding with the OA Visa I can leave country a few days before the Visa date Expires then re-enter Thailand and immigration will automatically just stamp me for one more year.

Will immigration require me to have or show proof of insurance at this time?

My understanding is that since I am on a 1 Year Stay Entry Stamp at this time I will also need to get a re-entry permit every time I leave Thailand during my final year on an OA Extention Stamp.

Question #2: My other question is when I finally get to Year 3 and want to get an offical  Extenstion of Stay will I need to prove insurance at this time? Remember I came into Thailand on an OA Visa November 7th 2019 but my OA Visa was dated / approved on Septermber 6th 2019 from the US Thai Consulate. No need for insurance was requirement because the new immigration policy came into effect OCT 31 2019.
Show less

Show less

Edited by Travelerusa40

7 hours ago, Travelerusa40 said:

If you have an OA you should be able to leave a few days before your OA Visa expires then come back in before the Expiration date of your OA Visa and get an Extension of Stay Stamp for 1 additional year. You will need to get a multiple Entry or single Entry stamp each time you leave country. 

Then after this Extension of STay "Stamp" Expires you will need to get an Extention of Stay based on Retirement for an addiontal year which requires bank statements and documentation.

I have to do the same thing. My question is I came in Thailand with an OA Visa before OCT 31st 2019 requirements so is immigration requirement me to have proof medical insurance now that I am in Thailand? If anyone has experience with this please advise.

If you have any first hand feed back on my issue please advise. - Thanks - 

Background: I came to Thailand on November 7th 2019. My OA Visa was dated September 6th 2019. So, I was allowed entry into Thailand without having to Provide a Foreign Medical Certificate or proof I had Medical Insurance.

Question # 1: Will I have to prove or get Medical Insurance when it is time to get my Extention of Stay "Stamp"?  My understanding with the OA Visa I can leave country a few days before the Visa date Expires then re-enter Thailand and immigration will automatically just stamp me for one more year.

Will immigration require me to have or show proof of insurance at this time?

My understanding is that since I am on a 1 Year Stay Entry Stamp at this time I will also need to get a re-entry permit every time I leave Thailand during my final year on an OA Extention Stamp.

Question #2: My other question is when I finally get to Year 3 and want to get an offical  Extenstion of Stay will I need to prove insurance at this time? Remember I came into Thailand on an OA Visa November 7th 2019 but my OA Visa was dated / approved on Septermber 6th 2019 from the US Thai Consulate. No need for insurance was requirement because the new immigration policy came into effect OCT 31 2019.
Show less

Show less

After your OA expires and while you are on the final 1 year permission to stay stamp you will need a re-entry permit if you leave the country. You can purchase a single re-entry for each trip outside the country or you can purchase a multiple re-entry permit. A multiple re-entry will only extend until the date of your permission to stay stamp.

Sorry but I am not sure if Immigration at the airport will want to see an insurance certificate during this final permission to stay period. I don’t think so but you may be questioned about it depending on the Immigration officer. 

You will need health insurance from a Thai company to get a 1 year extension of stay.

What Immigration office are you using?

9 hours ago, Martyp said:

...  I am not sure if Immigration at the airport will want to see an insurance certificate during this final permission to stay period. I don’t think so but you may be questioned about it depending on the Immigration officer.

IMHO that is a a good question - my guess is it depends on the IO familiarity with the rules.    I can find no detail based on my Type-OA visa (which expires 27-March-2020) that states it is based on 'retirement'.   Rather, I think it is the 'extension' stamps, that say based on 'retirement' or based on 'marriage'. 

Most of the documents (translations) that I have read about the Type-OA health insurance requirement, note it is a requirement for Type-OA based on 'retirement' and not on 'marriage'.

Ergo, for my case, I moved possibly quicker than need be, and today had my 2001 foreign marriage to my Thai wife, registered now in Thailand (and I now have a Kor 22).  I plan to bring either this Kor 22 document, or a copy of this document, with me each time I leave and re-enter Thailand (entering Thailand either on my original Type-OA or entering on a re-entry permit on my permission to stay in my 1st year permission to stay) such that if queried about Health Insurance by an IO, I can point out my stay in Thailand is to be based on 'marriage' and not on 'retirement'.  

I do have superior Health Insurance (that covers both myself and my Thai wife for the better Thai hospitals) but unfortunately being an International Insurance it is not on the Thai Health Insurance list.  Hence I've elected to go the 'marriage' route.