How can I stop the dog from destroying my climbing plants wall?

Daffy D

14 hours ago, sirineou said:

What you need then is a shock collar with an electric fence

there is a whire you bury in the ground where you don't want the dog to go , the wire activates the colar

There are a a few of them at Lazada.They might be available elsewhere also.

image.png.e3658376c61bf4d64bf337990000095d.png

I have tried this on your neck before ?

The idea of using black pepper is a good one to deter the dog from that area. Chilli powder spread around used to discretely stop my neighbors dog from crapping on our land too. Just keep the powder refreshed every few days and your dog wont like it and will soon  get the idea . You can also use anything like a lemon scented detergent as its strong and the dog will pick it up and avoid the area.

Edited by Soundspeed
spelling correction

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

I had a Beagle  who was not allowed on the couch in the house, (get the couch full of dog hair) , the moment I left the room he would jump on the couch, he thought that I did not know , but of course I knew because of the hair. I tried everything to train him and nothing worked until this.

image.png.7e08ecb44de93606f5cead13c85956c3.png

A shock collar. It goes around their neck and when you press the remote it gives them a minor shock. It is very mild mut it startles them, it only has a small watch type battery,I tried it on myself, it does not really hurt them just gets their attention. 

any way i would go to the next room but I had a mirror where I could see him jump on the couch, and the moment he did I would jap them, He did not know what it was, he thought it was the couch that was japping him, after a while he would give the couch a wide berth, even after I took the collar of, he would never go on that couch again.

They have them at Lazada it is called a shock collar,

Do you know if this works for breaking up fights - - a friend has 2 dogs and one can get very aggressive toward the other one? 

13 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

I think the dog is just excited to see who moved in next door. Try drilling a hole in the wall (somewhere near the side) big enough for the dog to see through. That way he doesn’t need to climb up to look over the wall. 

Tis what i was tinking meself oops slipped into an Irish accent for some strange reason. I have also seen lazada have got motion censer speakers put any sound you like on a memory card, the one i saw had 2 pre-loaded Halloween screaming sounds 500 baht. 

Try a liberal sprinkling of mothballs along and close to the base of the wall (pressing into turf along the wall line will create an odour barrier, and allow you to mow the grass without moving the mothballs). Dogs and cats HATE the camphor smell that lays close to the ground. This odour deters then due to their incredibly sensitive noses. This works perfectly for cats and dogs that scrape, pee, poo, and dig. They don't erode easily either so you don't have to replace often. ????

My wife suggests her cure. Dust  finely ground  chillie powder both sides of the wall. I am going to try it in a place where a dog insists on sleeping in a particular spot in a  shrubbery outside  our  gate .

I have found pepper powder is good  for stopping  cats on the  car. Different sort of  hot tin roof at  night. lol

On 12/16/2019 at 9:41 PM, kenk24 said:

Do you know if this works for breaking up fights - - a friend has 2 dogs and one can get very aggressive toward the other one? 

I am not an expert on dogs , not by a long shot.

This is a difficult nut to crack because dogs fight for many different reasons. and to resolve it amicably would mean that you would have to find out what the reason is.  

The use of this device might be successful toward stopping the dogs from fighting each other but then it might create another situation where now the dogs are afraid of each other,

Using it with an inanimate object works because the dog does not have a social relationship with that object , but using it on two dogs that should have a social relationship with each other could be a problem IMO

IMO  you should never hit your dog for any reason, but if you need to smack him you should never use your hand, because even though your hand is an inanimate object (for the purpose of this conversation)  your dog has a relationship with your hand and you don't want him afraid of your hand.  

Do you understand the point I try to make?  I's about relationships.

I would suggest you google 'why dogs fight each other" get a little educated on the subject , and see if you can identify the reason why they fight and try mitigate it. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

I am not an expert on dogs , not by a long shot.

This is a difficult nut to crack because dogs fight for many different reasons. and to resolve it amicably would mean that you would have to find out what the reason is.  

The use of this device might be successful toward stopping the dogs from fighting each other but then it might create another situation where now the dogs are afraid of each other,

Using it with an inanimate object works because the dog does not have a social relationship with that object , but using it on two dogs that should have a social relationship with each other could be a problem IMO

IMO  you should never hit your dog for any reason, but if you need to smack him you should never use your hand, because even though your hand is an inanimate object (for the purpose of this conversation)  your dog has a relationship with your hand and you don't want him afraid of your hand.  

Do you understand the point I try to make?  I's about relationships.

I would suggest you google 'why dogs fight each other" get a little educated on the subject , and see if you can identify the reason why they fight and try mitigate it. 

not my dogs, but the problem is definitely jealousy... the aggressive sister excessively jealous - - when the owner took the passive one alone in the car to the vet... she was repeatedly attacked on return... and the aggressive one is on the lookout for any time the passive one is getting attention... what makes this unusual is that she seems to hold and act out on this grudge... but has no problem with other dogs or people, otherwise a lovely dog... but for her sister... 

Edited by kenk24

On 12/18/2019 at 3:00 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

My wife suggests her cure. Dust  finely ground  chillie powder both sides of the wall. I am going to try it in a place where a dog insists on sleeping in a particular spot in a  shrubbery outside  our  gate .

I have found pepper powder is good  for stopping  cats on the  car. Different sort of  hot tin roof at  night. lol

On 12/18/2019 at 9:01 PM, Morty T said:

My wife sprays Lemongrass and Peppermint on our stuff, everything avoids them. 

Think those might work if the dog is sniffing around, unfortunately in this case when she hears the dog on the other side she just goes for it, trying to scramble over the wall, without having a sniff around on the way.

Thought of a couple of plans that may work, one is mousetraps and "plan B" tying a whole bunch of balloons tied up against the wall that will explode when she tries to jump up.

"Plan A"   Yesterday got some mousetraps. I was expecting the regular little wooden ones, but could only find some heavy duty metal ones, which are more like bear traps that would cut a poor little mouse right in half. :shock1:

These things are vicious, hell of a spring on them that makes me very wary just setting them, but because they're metal make a satisfying clang/snap when sprung.  

So I spent some time on the greenery tying up most of it so it could start to grow and cover the wall again, then set the mousetraps and laid them out at the base in front of the wall.

Then got the dog to watch while I triggered the traps. Now when these traps snap they spring into the air with a helluva metallic clang, the dog only stayed around for the first one then was off like a shot. :smile:

Had to drag her back and keep her chained down while I slowly triggered the rest of the traps one by one. With each snap/clang she cowerd further away as far as the chain would allow, nearly strangling herself in the process but I think she got the message. :whistling:

I was going to leave the traps set, but as they are so vicious they would probably take off the poor dogs foot or maybe a sniffing nose so decided to just place them unset at base of the wall. I hope just the sight of them will be enough to keep the dog away. :post-4641-1156693976:

Mousetraps.jpg.8e0e55d16305b4829ffc41e8f2995be9.jpg

If this don't work still have "Plan B"  The balloons :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man you guys are missing the obvious solution. Build a sturdy, decorative step-ladder so she doesn't have any issues getting up and over. Problem solved and an added attraction to your wall. :wai:

ETA: If you really don't want her over then add a nice "Barking Platform" at the top. ???? 

Edited by mrwebb8825
  • Haha 1