One killed, another injured in road safety exercise in Korat

webfact

One killed, another injured in road safety exercise

By The Nation

800_39d40e3f66acf62.jpg?v=1576482024

A woman motorcyclist died and her passenger was injured in Nakhon Ratchasima province yesterday (December 15) during a road safety training exercise to prepare for the New Year. 

The women was riding along a road where one lane had been blocked off by police forcing her to pull out of the right where she collided with a truck being driven at high speed

Even though deputy Interior Minister Niphon Bunyamanee personally informed the officers in Phimai district about the safety measures and requested them to simulate accidents during the New Year break, a real accident was not supposed to occur during the safety training.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379490

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-16

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

R.I.P. (again)

I think that most Thais (since having no experience driving them), mistakenly assume that big heavy trucks can swerve, brake or stop just as well as a small car or pickup can and think nothing of pulling right out in front of them. I see it happen all the time. 

thought bikes were supposed to stay in the left lane, sorry for the poor lady but she should have been in the left lane and did she check her mirrors as well as indicate to merge left, highly doubt it as not many bike riders use mirrors or indicators here. As for the truck driver, nothing unusual, they always speed and dont take notice of other road users, he needs to be charged for her death as well as loss of licence. The biggest problem is they do not put out signs before getting to these areas that a lane is closed for police checks, they have witches hats 50 metres before you get to them and thats all the warning you get, no lights and no signs, their idea of safety is a joke

2 minutes ago, seajae said:

sorry for the poor lady but she should have been in the left lane

The left lane was blocked off !! Where was she supposed to go ?? I guess, just a guess, that she pulled out to the right and Mr Speeding truck driver ploughed into her from behind !! If she had been in a car, the truck would have probably destroyed that too... 

Just a guess ????

There is a discrepancy here between the narrative and the photograph. The report says:

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The women was riding along a road where one lane had been blocked off by police forcing her to pull out of the right where she collided with a truck being driven at high speed

However, studying the photo, it is apparent that she collided with left hand side of the truck. You can see her remains mid section. Also the positioning of the cones looking back up the road indicate that the left hand lane was coned off, thereby forcing the motorcyclist to 'pull out to the right', not 'pull out from the right'. (one small word can make a big difference in meaning)

I would suggest that the unfortunate lady pulled out from her usual riding position on the left, without checking and broadsided into the truck. The truck driver could do nothing prevent this at all.

talking of mirrors or lack of, two bikes (well one bike , one scooter) at my condo,  have no mirrors, when i asked, the thai owner of the 150 Honda, said * i not like, upset the look of the bike* so i assume the owner of the 150 PCX thought the same thing, stupidity at its best

6 hours ago, seajae said:

The biggest problem is they do not put out signs before getting to these areas, as well as any and all road construction/maintenance sites, that a lane is closed for police checks, they have witches hats 50 5 (if that) metres before you get to them and thats all the warning you get, no lights and no signs, their idea of safety is a joke

Fixed that for ya.

A SLAG course is unheard of here sighting lighting and guarding that is together with a totally overloaded speeding HGV with blacked out windows provides the reckless disregard for the road fodder that is simulated 24/7 morons ????  

10 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

A SLAG course is unheard of here sighting lighting and guarding that is together with a totally overloaded speeding HGV with blacked out windows provides the reckless disregard for the road fodder that is simulated 24/7 morons ????  

With curtains on the front windscreen .

regards worgeordie

14 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

R.I.P. (again)

I think that most Thais (since having no experience driving them), mistakenly assume that big heavy trucks can swerve, brake or stop just as well as a small car or pickup can and think nothing of pulling right out in front of them. I see it happen all the time. 

I've thought the same, only, in terms of any vehicle.  If you've never driven a car or truck and your only reference is a motorcycle, it's possible you're truly clueless in the handling of any vehicle with more than two wheels.  Probably seems alien to most of us that have been driving for years, but you have to try to imagine.  Not making excuses for any of them, because one of the reasons I left the country was to get away from the chaos on the roads and horrible traffic.  But other than sheer stupidity, there's no other explanation for some of the moves you see out on Thai roads.

Nothing will ever convince me that whatever they attempt, Thais (especially the police), aren't completely and utterly useless. Say it a lot, but they're children in adult bodies. RIP to the dead lady, the victim of mind-blowingly incompetant officials and crazy truck driver.

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

If the truck driver was going at or under the speed limit, it was not excessive speed...

sounds like the women merged over w/o looking.....90% of cyclists do this expecting the next lane drivers to adjust...

fault = cyclist 

Ever heard of driving to suit the conditions? A speed below the speed limit isn't necessarily an appropriate speed. A thinking truck driver (or any driver) would realise a lane ahead was blocked, that other vehicles might be pulling out to get past the obstruction and reduce speed to make allowance for possible stupid moves.

When I teach people to drive a car or bike the first lesson is 'STOP'. Stopping is critical in driving. When there seems to be road confusion ahead be ready to stop and understand the situation. STOP. Yes, that sounds very conservative but drivers any place in the world can get confused quickly. Also, some drivers in the world can be extremely bad drivers. obviously, the truck driver does not adhere to my principle #1. (I hear some of you saying do you really need to stop. Answer...no, but go very slow until you know the situation better).

16 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The left lane was blocked off !! Where was she supposed to go ?? I guess, just a guess, that she pulled out to the right and Mr Speeding truck driver ploughed into her from behind !! If she had been in a car, the truck would have probably destroyed that too... 

Just a guess ????

Well - if you change lanes you have to:

A - check the mirrors for traffic in the lane youre thinking about entering.

B - turn youre head around and have a good look into the lane you plan to enter and check again for traffic. 
Then if its clear you can change lane. If there is traffic coming in the lane you plan to enter such as a truck in high speed - you will have to wait until that truck has passed and then check again for traffic. I suppose the motorbike driver in this case didnt check for traffic. Most thais doesnt do so before changing lanes. Thats something I see about every day here...

R.I.P.

Just in general in this case.  If you are in Pattaya you will see all the work being done roads being ripped apart over and over again barriers are place up driving is like a maze. There is no oversight by officials approving of the work as to how to keep traffic flowing safely because they just never been trained.

Then you got drivers belief others should look after you instead of looking after yourself. How did it ever get to the point you would come out of a Soi without ever stopping and make a right or left turn?

Just speculating because I see it each day running around town, bikes swinging in and out of traffic as if they are the only one on the road then you got truck drivers like this one who doesn't care about the speed limit or even think slow down when there is construction etc. 

Archived