End of Lease Notice

2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I have a one year lease on a Condo in CM which ends 7 March 2020.  How much notice am I required to give that I will not be leaving at the end of the present lease.

Any tips on things to watch out for when moving out?

I guess that would be something that should have been standing in your contract if you bothered to read it, or if you even bothered about whats in it from start.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My rental contract automatically went month to month after the first year.  The only action required on my part was 30 days notice when I did decide to move out.  All clearly spelled out in the lease document. 

What's in yours?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

So you are NOT moving out,or don't want to, but want tips about moving out ?,

You should ask the landlord ASAP, if it is possible to extend your lease,

regards worgeordie

Sorry, I guess I should not post so late at night.  The word "not" should not be there, I will be leaving.

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I guess that would be something that should have been standing in your contract if you bothered to read it, or if you even bothered about whats in it from start.

There is nothing there that is clear about giving notice at the end of the lease.  And thanks for the totally useless comments towards the end. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

There is nothing there that is clear about giving notice at the end of the lease.  And thanks for the totally useless comments towards the end. 

If there is written in your contract it will be very clear. If you want to move, then you shpuld have to give a 3 month notice about that, and the same should go for renewal of the lease. If you do not say anything, the contract should be formed to automatically renew. If you want to terminate and move at the end of the lease, you should have to give notice 3 month before so your landlord have time to rent out before you leave.

11 hours ago, impulse said:

My rental contract automatically went month to month after the first year.  The only action required on my part was 30 days notice when I did decide to move out.  All clearly spelled out in the lease document. 

What's in yours?

That´s how easy it can be. The 3 month I mentioned above was just an example.

14 hours ago, impulse said:

What's in yours?

you can break any 1 year rental agreement with 30 days notice as long as you have a valid reason.

If you are paying by the month, a month's notice should be sufficient. It's unlikely a landlord would want to impede you leaving early, but there are always exceptions.

If you are leaving at the end of the lease, the landlord has to get you signed up to a new one. Unless there is a clause in the lease providing for automatic rollover.

2 hours ago, theonetrueaussie said:
16 hours ago, impulse said:

you can break any 1 year rental agreement with 30 days notice as long as you have a valid reason.

That is patently false. Why would either tenant or landlord sign a 1 year lease if it could be broken at any time with a valid reason. Leases have language about remedying defects, repairs, maintenance, etc. There is absolutely no reason for either party to sign a one year lease if it can be broken at any time with a valid reason. Furthermore, you don’t give any example of a valid reason. 

If you are unsure of your length of stay sign a month to month lease. Leases are complicated documents generally designed to protect the rights of both parties. 

8 minutes ago, Onrai said:

That is patently false. Why would either tenant or landlord sign a 1 year lease if it could be broken at any time with a valid reason. Leases have language about remedying defects, repairs, maintenance, etc. There is absolutely no reason for either party to sign a one year lease if it can be broken at any time with a valid reason. Furthermore, you don’t give any example of a valid reason. 

If you are unsure of your length of stay sign a month to month lease. Leases are complicated documents generally designed to protect the rights of both parties. 

In my case (OP), I am leaving early but only by 8 days but I intend to pay for the 8 days.

To my knowledge, towards the end of lease your landlord will approach you with a new lease. This will serve to negotiate your payments for the next 12 months.

if you decide to leave then at the expiration of current lease you leave. Your deposit should be returned.

if you choose to stay it’s a new 12 months lease at terms asked and agreed.

as I said this is in my experience. Because one time I was not offered nor ask for a new lease, believing I was on a month to month contract.

surprise when I did give notice I was hit for back money because I had no lease and should have been paying monthly rental which was a great deal more than Iwas paying.

End result, no refund of deposit.