Transferwise - Bad luck US citizens

20 minutes ago, madisongy said:

So it seems that XE would be the best option of the three.

You're not taking into account fees for XE or Bangkok Bank; Transferwise is already showing you the fee involved and the Bht that will be received.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

You're not taking into account fees for XE or Bangkok Bank; Transferwise is already showing you the fee involved and the Bht that will be received.

Thanks so much Salerno.   Yeah, BB doesn't really show the fees.   Sis is going in to discuss that with them in Thailand, and I'm in the process of drafting an inquiry on how it all works and what fees are involved.   That is a question mark.

With regard to XE, they have no fees.   They indicate that on their website, but I also found a site showing pros/cons.   All cons seem reasonable.   

image.png.7bbedd905fcfa65fc0ad925182700c27.png

1 minute ago, madisongy said:

With regard to XE, they have no fees.

Go through a dummy transfer to see what rate they offer; your initial screenshot is not the rate you'll get (see the bottom "con" in you screenshot above).

1 hour ago, madisongy said:

So it seems that XE would be the best option of the three.

Are those XE numbers you posted the numbers they show on their home page, or are those the numbers they showed you after you signed up for an account and requested a quote?

TW shows you the numbers up front. I believe for XE you need to sign up for an account and request a quote to get the actual numbers.

So logged on to process the Transferwise transaction today.   Recipient would get 980,050.   Checked out wire transfer to Bangkok Bank...recipient would get 978,280 after the 500 baht fee.    

The problem I had with Transferwise, they wanted my SSN.   Decided to forgo the $60 savings on this one time transaction.  I figured there would be a bigger difference.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:34 PM, srowndedbyh2o said:

Are those XE numbers you posted the numbers they show on their home page, or are those the numbers they showed you after you signed up for an account and requested a quote?

TW shows you the numbers up front. I believe for XE you need to sign up for an account and request a quote to get the actual numbers.

you are correct sir...........those were the numbers from the home page.   So yeah, decided not to go that route and after trying Transferwise, I'm sure XE would also want the SSN.   I am just surprised that the savings was only $60 with TW.   Not sure why I thought it would be more.  If I were doing these monthly, yeah, that would add up.  But for a one time deal, I decided to just do the bank to bank.